Assembling Scales of Justice. Need Input.

sondermann

I got my first batch of Malifaux miniatures and while I have no problem assembling Baby Kade or the Molemen, I'm staring at Scales of Justice and I'm not sure how to assemble it so that it will endure transportation and play.

My problem of course are the scales themselves. I have removed the grating and I think I know how the pieces should fit together (i.e. the plate into the hooks and the top of the chain into the underside of the skulls).

I have no experience in pinning (not that it would do me any good, I think) nor with greenstuff or putty or somesuch. But I'm willing to learn.

Actually I haven't painted a miniature in years and back when I did super glue was sufficient for my minis. I understand that I need to step up my game. And that is exactly what I want to do. I just need some pointers :)

To be more specific, I'm worried that if I simply glue the plates onto the hooks that those will fall off as soon as I put 'scales' into my foamtray. And also I'm not so sure if superglue will be enough to attach the chains onto the skulls.

How did you do it? How would you solve such problems?

Thanks!

They are pretty fragile, I agree. Some models are like that. How you described the process is, unfortunately, how you'll get the job done. Basic super glue and a prayer. No pinning of the pieces you're worried about.

Here's some advice:

1) If you're using the normal foam trays that "pluck" out the area the mini will rest, save some of the pulls to pack around the Scales and limit knock around and tension.

2) This one's bigger. You can kit-bash and completely replace the chains making the piece pretty mobile. If you go to any normal craft store you can buy very fine chain, like for a necklace. Just a couple bucks. With several drops of glue at the joints of the wood brace and again around the plates, the chains will swing and sway and the glue joint won't have to endure much as the plates get bumped in transport and play. This method is not as painful as you might be afraid. You'll need a good pair of snips to trim it to length and you'll figure out the best way to attach the plates for you, but simply gluing them to the bottom should work. With more practice at this sort of thing you'd likely attach them with a bigger metal ring to look all fancy and professional.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Another way to help strengthen a miniature is to put a little glue along the chain and joints after you paint and seal. If the glue dries slow. (So put it in a cool place not under a light. It won't even frost. Thus you get a thicker clear coating that protects and strengthens. I did this for the hook chain on my killjoy.