Newbies HERE!

Started this thread for us Newbies (got the rulebook yesterday). If this is a repeat thread, sysop feel free to delete and or move it.

I would like to ask all the experienced players to post some general tips and suggestions. There didn't seem to be a thread for that, so i figured I could start one.

I would also like some input and suggestions. I'm actually in a bit of a quandry. I have very limited funds (wife's working, I'm not. Trying for a baby.) So right now at best I can have two crews. I've played the Grey Knights in 40K and Circle of Orboros in Hordes, Cygnar in Warmachine. I'm torn between the following Crews and would like advice: Lady Justice, Rasputina, and the Vicktorias. I don't want to get a crew just because they look cool or are bad ass. I want to LIKE the crew.

I can compare the crews you like as best I can to some Warmachine/Hordes rules to maybe help you decide.

Lady J is total beatstick, and she can make her armies beat stick as well and works well with most guild models.

Rasputina is the closest thing the game has to an arc node casting model, she uses placement on her army while she shoots from the back, arcing through her own models similar to that of Deneghra.

Vicktorias run kinda similar to a Rhyas Saeryn combo. They can switches places with one another, and they're a pain to take down. I've only ever played them once, so I can't really delve too deep into a Vicky list.

Thanks notmikehill! That was exactly the kinf of info I needed. I've played against Deneghra, but couldn't pull her off. Might have better luck with Rasputina. Never played against or with Rhyas Saeryn. I played Kaya in Hordes, Nemo in Warmachine and grey knights in 40K. So I'm used to being outnumbered. I m also looking at the Neverborn, any thoughts on them?

Lilith is a beat stick, look at me I'm over here you're over here now, I'm Gonna hit you kinda play. She switches places with people or her own people.

Pandora is all about WP duels. She strives off them, litterally she gets to move when you fail them. An she has creepy children to follow her around.

Zoriada who I play is all about using your opponents models to kill each other or use her own modes to move them up the field quicker. She can stop people from cheating. Etc etc. She is my favorite neverborn master.

There is a regular here who has a great write up for noobs as his sig and I would point you in the direction of.

I can't remember who it is though, I thought it was Nerd Elemental but I appear to have been wrong.

Can anyone else remember?

It was me, but I removed my sig links as they were starting to show their age and in need of some revision.

However, here they are. Might still be helpful! This happens every once in a while and I'll get random PM's from people on them. Maybe they're still worthwhile to have around? Stickied someplace?

Noob PRIMER: Fiction and Fluff background

Noob PRIMER: Basics of the CARD mechanic

Noob PRIMER: Faction overview

Noob PRIMER: Malifaux for the Warmachine gamer!

Noob PRIMER: Combat example walkthrough

Noob PRIMER: Magic and spell casting duels

If you're concerned about cost and just want a box set, here are my suggestions:

Perdita box set is all you need. Period. includes all the Ortega models.

Lilith box set requires you to buy the young nephilim, but then you're ready to play.

Pandora box set is strong, but adding Teddy is always fun.

Rasputina box set is fairly complete, adding a december acolyte or Hoarcats isn't a bad idea.

Lady J box set requires maybe 1 more model, an executioner or mercenary.

Seamus box set plus the hanged is a good crew.

If you're looking for cost effective crews, that's the way to go. Some of the other crews require stuff to summon, like Nicodem or Some'er teeth, but with those crews you've got what you need to play the game in 40 bucks or less, plus the rulebook which you've already got I see. I think you'll find this game is much, much less costly and more fun to paint than 40k, I hope you and your wife enjoy it!