Scratch built Corpse and Scrap Counters

GreenRiveter

I made these out of 2mm styrene. It's a bit thicker than I wanted, but I had plenty of scraps for experimentation. They still need to be painted, and I may change a few details in future versions. Future versions will be thinner, probably 2mm total.

They are stackable and can have minis walk over them no problem.

malifaux-counters.jpg

The original plan was to make a solid round piece with the design carved into the middle, but carving into styrene can be a hassle.

If they get a good response here and at the local game store, I may cast them and hand them out as prizes.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas for designs, please feel free to post them here!

UPDATE!

After casting about 20-30 of these, I finally got around to painting a few. You really only need 5-10 in a standard game, so I’ll be trading these to friends for more Malifaux terrain. They are sprayed with a matte coat finish, and it looks like it fogged a little. Overall I love the way they turned out.

green-riveter-corpse-counters.jpg

Edited by GreenRiveter

Finally got these guys painted. I still need to add a layer of dull coat, but that shouldn't change them that much.

Colors are white primer, black for the eyes, grey for the mouth, then a wash of Devlan Mud, and Dadab black in the seam.

I'm making a mold of these, I really like the way they turned out!

corpse-counters.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update.

After building my corpse counters from scratch, I knew I wanted to cast them. I bought TAP Plastics RTV 2-part silicone, and did some research online for the best methods for mixing. After following the mixing instructions on the container, the mold was still sticky to the touch the next day. I thought I hadn’t mixed enough catalyst for it to set properly, so went about making a second mold. While this went well, the first mold set up hours later. So now I have two. I’ve made a few more molds since this, and I can tell from the color of the mix now how long it will take to set. Since the catalyst is blue, a sky-blue mix will take the better part of 24 hours to set, while a darker blue can set in a few hours.

I redesigned the corpse counter, adding raised stitches and sewn eyes. The eyes are now circles instead of rough cut styrene. They don’t stack perfectly like the old ones, but I’ve found we rarely have more than two stacked in one place in our games anyway. I was afraid the styrene glue was going to leave texture in the faces, but the primer covered it no problem. You can see the difference in the raw and primed. The paint job will be the same as the older ones, but having a solid piece should make it look a bit more finished.

corpsecountermolded1.jpg

http://greenrivets.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/corpsecountermolded1.jpg

Edited by GreenRiveter

• 4 weeks later...
How much for a set of ten? :worship:

-Patrick

I'm not sure if basing the design on a piece of Wyrd artwork would raise any red flags in IP infringement?

If it's not a problem, can anyone give me an idea on what to charge for a set of ten? They would be unpainted, cast in white resin. I would only do a few sets(I don't have all day to sit around casting), but would love to get these into peoples hands if they wanted them.

I would love to do all of the counters for Malifaux(scrap, body part, blood, corpse, Ice wall, Flame wall, Pit,?)

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I can make just about anything, but the cost to mold and cast may be prohibitive. I didn't really like the way the scrap counter turned out, maybe it's too simple or cartoony? I will come up with some sketches and post them here, then when I get an idea of what people like I'll make a few prototypes.

Big thank you to everyone for the feedback and orders, and if someone from Wyrd can send me an address, I'll send a couple sets of counters!

I imagine it's because the rules call for the counters to be stackable.

That's the main reason. I could have glued bits from kits to a base and cast that, but I wanted the counters to be sculpts of my own creation(99% of what I make is from sheet styrene, hence my title). I also like the look of "iconic" counters rather than "realistic". I haven't seen anyone else make them like that, and the style works well in other games I play like Descent and Space Hulk. The scrap counters will be made the same way, but I hope with smaller detail. We'll see if I can pull it off.

Edited by GreenRiveter