How to run a good demo?

RangerRob

Hello, I am going to be running demos for Malifaux this friday and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for how to make it run smoothly. At present I plan for an abreviated rules explaination, small 2 model or so crews, and 1-2 turns.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on how to make it a success!

Rob

Let them get familiarized with with cards and give play suggestions while playing. Also, to help them learn the rules more easily use two factions that aren't very complicated. Rasputina/Lady Jusice/Nicodem/Lilith are good starts using their starter sets, why give them something insanely complicated or difficult like Pandora/Levvy when they are just learning the game?

The most important thing is to let them win. If they get creamed in their first game it'll turn them off to the game will be alot less likely to buy into it. Make sure to explain when everything does and everything is so they can actually make decisions for themselves.

The most important thing is to let them win. If they get creamed in their first game it'll turn them off to the game will be alot less likely to buy into it. Make sure to explain when everything does and everything is so they can actually make decisions for themselves.

I Agree with this, it applies to most if not all games

Something we tried when learning Malifaux was to replay activations with different results. Its nice to see what would of happened if you got your trigger off etc.

Good Luck

If there is time why not swap forces and try it again. I don't think I would limit turns, unless there was a major time factor. In demos I've done I don't even track turns. Let the game play out so there are many situations and events to learn from. And yeah, let them win without being to obvious about it ;)

Stack the deck.

If you're walking them through each stage of the game (rather than just letting them play it out) stack the Fate Decks/Hands so they resolve how you want them to. Then you know exactly when a trigger will go off, or a spell/resist casting works, etc. It may seem hokey, but it'll make it much easier on you to show them what you want to show them without having to backtrack or dig out cards mid-demo.

Silly, but it works. Harder to do if you're not narrating what's going on, but something to consider.

Edited by Keltheos

As a demo guy for another game system I always find the best demo game is one that gets them using the main rules in their simplest form. So pick your crews carefully. Not to many figures and try to avoid spells and abilities that do complex things like a Dopplegangers Mimic ability. Also for a demo game I would avoid things like objectives or special terrain, you can always talk players through the extras afterwards if they enjoy the game. They main thing is to get them having fun quickly so a straight forward deathmatch is fine. You may know all the rules but they will be struggeling to remember everything so keep it simple for the first game or two.

Oh and one other thing. Don't thrash them sideways just because you can and also don't play dumb to let them win. Try to play at their level so they feel that it is a fair game, they will definitely get more out of it if they think they are actually participating. If possible ref a game for two other new players, that way you can help them both out if they have any questions.

Hope some of that helps.

There's an application floating around the forums. (Sorry, don't have link handy right now.)

You'll need 2 painted crews, and all of the info on the application.

Now, back to demos.

At gen Con, a lot of us ran a quick introduction with a Simple Duel (Terrifying works well here), then an Opposed Duel (combat). Explain cheating when it fits. If a trigger comes up, point it out. If it doesn't, point out how it would have worked if they had gotten that suit. That will lead you nicely into :-fate and :+fate. After that, small crews and a quick game to get things moving with the training wheels. If a player is catching on, and you don't have a lot of other people waiting for a turn, go into more details, or start discussing playstyles and crews.

I explain a little about the background and the game itself. Then I show off the models just to get the saliva flowing. Then explain the stat cards (don't go overboard here though), then I set up two force about 14 inchs apart (mostly combat crews, I like Vik Vs Lil) and then walk them through the card mechanics of a few combats. I like using the Vik's because as one is about to die I go for the old switcharoo just to emphasize the importance of triggers and abilities. Seeing one jump out and another in gets sneaky little gamer minds running overtime.

It's all about fun and letting the game showcase itself.

I have run lots of demos and also have a few suggestions.

Introduce yourself and find out what other games the player has played. Adjust your demo to their level of gaming experience. Are your player a couple of 12 year olds who are just killing time before the next round in a Magic tourney or are they grognards that have played every game system out there? Also you may run into folks that have purchased the rules and read some of them but haven’t yet played. It sounds silly but some folks want to learn every special situation and some just want a quick throw down.

If you are playing against a person, play to their level or ideally just below their level. You might need to run a figure out of cover so they can shoot at it. Several folks have already said don’t play to win but it is important. If it comes down to your player needing to win initiative to beat you and he doesn’t you can always replay the encounter and say “let me show you how this would have gone had you won.” Always stress that you are showing them the game.

Keep it simple. Objectives and interactive terrain are for more experience folks. You can have them as a back up in case you get players that catch on quick but most folks want to learn the mechanics of a new game.

Nice minis and terrain will always pull folks to your table but remember not everyone knows mini gamer etiquette. You may have to teach folks this. Some folks don’t know how to handle delicate minis. I try and make demo figures gamer proof but there will be some battle damage. You won’t have to worry about dice but I have had folks put my dice in their mouth or throw them across the room when they rolled poorly. Chances are you will have folks that can’t shuffle cards.