Found a Mean 25pt list

rancor

Play Perdita

governers proxy

executioner

2 autringers

leaves you exactly 8SS. The list works so well. Just keep perdita and the autringers tucked behind buildings and walls. They can shoot out, but stuff can't shoot back. Anything that gets to close before getting shot up gets executioner beaten. Plus, if need be, you can activate 90% of the list at the same time. Austringer goes, does his thing, and as a 0 action has the next austringer activate. That austringer does his thing, then tells perdita to go. Perdita does her thing (I like to obey the executioner as a 1 action) then when shes done the govoner proxy goes (companion) and does what he does (I like to obey the executioner again). Then you end your activation.

So everything but the executioner can activate in one phase, and he gets two obey actions anyways, and then his full activation next phase. Now, you don't need to do this, but its great to have the ability to basically activate who you want, when you want.

Play Perdita

governers proxy

executioner

2 autringers

leaves you exactly 8SS. The list works so well. Just keep perdita and the autringers tucked behind buildings and walls. They can shoot out, but stuff can't shoot back. Anything that gets to close before getting shot up gets executioner beaten. Plus, if need be, you can activate 90% of the list at the same time. Austringer goes, does his thing, and as a 0 action has the next austringer activate. That austringer does his thing, then tells perdita to go. Perdita does her thing (I like to obey the executioner as a 1 action) then when shes done the govoner proxy goes (companion) and does what he does (I like to obey the executioner again). Then you end your activation.

So everything but the executioner can activate in one phase, and he gets two obey actions anyways, and then his full activation next phase. Now, you don't need to do this, but its great to have the ability to basically activate who you want, when you want.

Also, I was thinking of replacing the executioner with the peacemaker. I would only get 6SS, but it would be so much more usefull in the list. (Toss, drag, giving targets slow, reckless, armor, ranged and paired melee, and menace)

Edited by rancor

yeah, a turtle list like that won't help you with it comes to Strategies, and if you're just counting on Schemes to win, your opponent is probably going to get at least one of theirs, plus a Strategy.

From a personal perspective, playing against lists like that just plain sucks. not because it's difficult to win again, but because it's boring as hell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

this raises a point that has always bothered me with games. People who concentrate too much on constructing the most symbiotic powerful force lose sight of the aesthetics of the game and the flavor for the storyline.

Sometimes it's a riot to form a force with a theme other than burying your opponent before they have a chance to move. i.e.; I am pulling together a force of all female fighters ( regardless of how they seamlessly assist each other ). Play a game to re-tell or add to the story; it's much more interesting, especially if you flesh out a battle report when you are done!

Congratulations on finding a brilliant loop in the workings of the game, but the strategy makes me think of someone playing a one-on-one capture the flag game...and camping somewhere?! Don't lose sight of the flag ( or in this case the strategies and schemes ).

• 2 weeks later...
this raises a point that has always bothered me with games. People who concentrate too much on constructing the most symbiotic powerful force lose sight of the aesthetics of the game and the flavor for the storyline.
I can't fault you for liking the flavor, but I certainly play games to build effective lists and then play then efficiently. Flavor definitely has it's place but it takes a back seat to maximizing potential. Although of the most impressive aspects of Malifaux to me so far is the versatility and relative usefulness of just about every single model. Even across multiple Masters.

And yes fun lists can be a great time, but I when I go to a tournament I expect to test the my best against an opponents best. Then I'm generally disappointed when I run across a player who has more interest in building a funky list for the sake of it then actually trying to play at a high level and work to improve their play.

This is a very old argument you will find on just about every gaming forum though...

The list works so well. Just keep perdita and the autringers tucked behind buildings and walls. They can shoot out, but stuff can't shoot back.

Two questions;

- Didn't the last FAQ stop Perdita from being able to shoot targets she couldn't actually see? From memory, bullet bending still lets her ignore any tests/modifiers to target the model, but LOS is still required.

- Don't you normally need to see your target (eg. the executioner) to cast a spell on them (eg. obey)?

Anyway, the list doesn't look particularly fun to me. Also its competitiveness is sketchy at best, thanks to the crews inability to realistically acheive objectives. If I figured my opponent was going to try for something like that, I'd stay back and hold out for a draw.

It's one of the things I love about this game - actually killing the opposing crew isn't always a requirement to winning a game. :D