A few months in: Favorite Master so far?

Persevering1

Gang,

Now that we've had some months to play this thing, which Resurrectionist Master is the most fun for this playerbase?

Any trends to discuss? Playstyles that seem predominate? Feedback that could be considered for future faction development? Competitive tactics and enjoyable combos?

Personally, of the three available I prefer Seamus. The ability to activate Seamus, Sybelle, and all nearby Belles off one activation has won me many games (and, used poorly without forethought, cost me a few, too!). Seamus's .50 Flintlock and Sybelle's Shriek, combined with Lures, is really strong. While the limitation of only summoning Belles is somewhat bothersome, I find the Belles' innate toughness (8 Wounds, Hard to Wound, Slow to Die, Shambling) provides enough "speedbumps" to allow Seamus to reposition and get off another .50 calibre shot.

The board control of a typically Seamus list also plays well with Terrifying, which is a rule dynamic I really like about this game. Granted, so much of the present model base across factions is either outright immune to Morale Duels (Constructs, Undead, already Terrifying models) or possess such high WP that they effectively are immune (most Guild), but it is still fun when Seamus can actually spook someone away. "Trail of Fear" likewise combos well with other things I am typically doing (more Lures, for instance...).

Lastly, Seamus's survivability is perhaps his greatest strength. With Hard to Wound 2, Hard to Kill, and two ways of healing himself beyond Soulstone use (Necrotic Ministrations and Live for Pain), it really is hard to put Seamus down... which lets me be a bit more creative with him. I have yet to need to summon a Belle only to kill her healing via Live for Pain and Necrotic Ministrations... but I think that might be fun down the road when I am trapped in a pinch.

I have yet to use Undead Psychosis, but will try that soon. Likewise, No Escape has only helped me once. Slit Jugular, however, is a game winner lategame when the opponent is low on Soulstones.

Any Seamus list must include some heavy hitting melee. I use Punk Zombies, for their versatility (Self-Mutilate and Slice and Dice) and for their Flurry (after I Lure the target near enough).

Frankly, the best tactic for me with a Seamus list is to insure I place lots of multi-level terrain with great LoS during terrain placement (usually buildings), then run to grab a building with LoS of the board's center. From there, I place the Belles on the top floor, where they have maximum LoS for Lure, with Sybelle and Seamus on lower floors and views of the center for .50 and Shriek. The Punk Zombies patrol the bottom floor, using their AP for Defensive Stance until the opponent comes to me.

Most opponents will grow impatient and try to take the center, allowing me to use multiple Lures to pull their force apart piece-by-piece, shooting them up and finishing them off with the Punk Zombies' Flurries. The weakness of this tactic is a full on rush by the opponent, by I can then use Lures to rapidly redeploy my own force elsewhere.

I call this the "Bordello Offense" and it has won several games against many different opponents (all the factions, actually). Obviousy, Lilith and Rasputina are the more difficult match-ups with this tactic, as they can create terrain in front of the windows/vantage-points, depriving my Belles and Seamus of LoS. The opponent can then take the center without as much fear of being picked apart. In this case, I reposition while trying to scare off a siege with the Punk Zombies.

The above assumes a 25SS list. At 35SS, I typically add a Hanged with Grave Spirit to protect it. I then Float the Hanged somewhere where its LoS creates a crossfire over the center. With its Spells and multiple ways to instigate WP/Morale Duels, it becomes a target, but the Grave Spirit's buff of Armor 2, plus positioning so that any attacks on the Hanged likely bring opposing forces within LoS of the "Bordello", keeps the Hanged around most of the game. Being a Spirit (and thus halving non-magical damage), helps, too.

I -might- drop the Hanged/Grave Spirit combo for Bete Noire, but I doubt it. Too few wounds and too little punch for a Seamus list. Bete Noire seems to be great in a McMourning Canine Rush list, but Seamus needs more muscle or ranged attacks. Two Crooked Men, however, are not beyond consideration and might deserve some playtesting. Likewise, Convict Gunslinger and Copycat Killer might be good, if somewhat cliche. I am avoiding the former presently in favor of focusing on just Resurrectionist models.

What about you all? Any feedback for the group?

I'm torn. I love McM's fluff and model, but Nico is just a stone-cold killer in the sense that he is completely useful in many situations. With only 1 Strike spell of any kind, he is pretty useful regardless of his location, in melee or out of it. He can do AOEs, healing, summoning [any model almost], damage, board control [Paralyze and Arise], and can stay alive longer than most of the others [thanks to his ability to pawn off hits to Zombies and healing himself through Decay]. I've never lost him in any game, as they can never seem to get up close to him. If they do, I Paralyze them and walk away for that model to get mobbed by the other models in my crew.

Nicodem has my vote.

McM will take his place once I figure a way to keep him from dying [maybe buying a new deck will help].

I've never lost him in any game, as they can never seem to get up close to him. If they do, I Paralyze them and walk away for that model to get mobbed by the other models in my crew.

I love him too, for many of the same reasons. But I have to ask Zee. Who have you played Nico against? Because you seem to be doing really well with him. I usually do great with him but man Lilith gives me fits. But she gives me fits with just about anyone.

Beating Lilith with Resurrectionists depends on the Master...

McMourning can actually go toe-to-toe with Lilith. He hits hard (use Dissection), heals via "Organ Donor", and can cause immediate damage via "Master Surgeon" if necessary. His typical list involves heavy hitters that can likewise hold their own with Lilith's usual Crew.

Seamus needs to shoot Lilith in the face with his .50 Flintlock. Either go directly at her or isolate her Minions and kill them separately. Which of these you choose really depends on your playstyle and the aggressiveness of your opponent. Smart use of "Lure" will be crucial to your victory, either way.

Nicodem is a tougher play against Lilith because he cannot hide from her (due to her "Master of Malifaux"). Likewise, surrounding him with Mindless Zombies is difficult because of her "Whirling Death". Therefore, killing her off with Nicodem typically involves good use of his supporting Minions and lots of "Decay". I prefer to keep her at distance and buffing my attackers until she goes down.

I don't play Resurrectionists, but I have to say that I appreciated your write-up about Seamus, Persevering1. That was an informative and carefully considered explanation of your choice and how he fits with your play style. I'd like to see similar discussions started in the other lists. Once I've had more experience I should start one...I'm still trying to figure out whether I prefer Lilith or Pandora or if I want to jump over and play Marcus more.

I love him too, for many of the same reasons. But I have to ask Zee. Who have you played Nico against? Because you seem to be doing really well with him. I usually do great with him but man Lilith gives me fits. But she gives me fits with just about anyone.

Funnily enough, I've had success with Nico vs Lilith. She has yet to kill him. I've lost half the games I played in that matchup, but never lost Nico to her.

Here's the list I'll be running at 30 SS

Nico + 1SS

Grave Spirit

2 Punk Zombies

2 Belles

Mortimer

1 NecroPunk

I run him like a quarterback. The crew is in front. Mortimer Exhumes and relaxes, basically there to do a companion to Nico if I get the Corpse tokens out early. I will ALWAYS summon a Punk Zombie if I get the chance to, and try to keep numbers on my side. I like to lure in the mature Nephilim, feed him 2-3 of my models, and then have a lot more tokens once the Mature falls down.

Bolster Undead is key to my strategy. It makes the Punks Df 7 and CB 9 with a Paired flip!

If I ever get 2 Corpse tokens, I pop out Flesh Golems, as they become beastly at CB 8 with Bolster Undead. They also get extra moves, and have a high base Wk, which gets them booking across the field quickly. I will pop Mindless Zombies, and keep 2 in front at about 2", and one behind at 2". This way, if Lilith gets to me, I have the ability to keep at least one far away enough from her.

Paralyzing Lilith is key. Sure, it doesn't dump her Df stat, but it keeps her pinned in place while you try to take care of the strat/kill her. I usually Bolster unless I absolutely need to Arise. If I feel the pressure on him in melee, I back up and use Lure judiciously to bring my forces back ala a yo-yo. Bolster keeps the crew in a very good position. If they have a very hard time hitting you, odds are the damage will be minimal.

Another sneaky trick is to use Mindless Zombies as Lightning Rods [ala Krueger and Shifting Stones from WM]. You nail the Mindless Zombie with a really accurate Decay, which should give you an even flip, allowing you to drop a Decay Blast into a combat or against a high Df target who does not have more than 1" melee. In fact, you should probably not have any issues dropping Decays in combat even if the Mindless is engaged, because nothing you have other than Mortimer will suffer for it. Thanks to Decay healing the undead instead of damaging them, it's really a win-win.

Judicious use of his spells will be key to victory with Nico. Some people will advocate Vultures; I'm not averse to the idea, it's just not how I want to use him. The good thing about Nico is that any Corpses within 10" of him pretty much become yours, and you can summon them within 6" of you, making them immediate fodder for Reanimator.

Phew, that's a crazy long write up. I guess you can tell that I really like the fella. Make sure you never leave without Mortimer is all I will say.

Also, a Nurse is not a bad idea with him if you want to use Vultures, so that she can heal him up if he is getting in trouble, or raise his Df or provide Armor in liue of the Grave Spirit. Finding a good spot for Cover is key.

Nico should really be your anchor. Your crew moves around him, but never in such a way so as to keep him high and dry incase something slips by.

That is a great write up Zee. Nico is the only Res. Master I have not played, the main reason is my buddy uses Nico and does not have a second force. So I get to fight against Nico a lot, but never get to use him. I will have to tell him some of your tricks.

My favorite master is McMourning, and he can be incredible tough.

Funnily enough, I've had success with Nico vs Lilith. She has yet to kill him. I've lost half the games I played in that matchup, but never lost Nico to her.

Here's the list I'll be running at 30 SS

Nico + 1SS

Grave Spirit

2 Punk Zombies

2 Belles

Mortimer

1 NecroPunk

I run him like a quarterback. The crew is in front. Mortimer Exhumes and relaxes, basically there to do a companion to Nico if I get the Corpse tokens out early. I will ALWAYS summon a Punk Zombie if I get the chance to, and try to keep numbers on my side. I like to lure in the mature Nephilim, feed him 2-3 of my models, and then have a lot more tokens once the Mature falls down.

Bolster Undead is key to my strategy. It makes the Punks Df 7 and CB 9 with a Paired flip!

If I ever get 2 Corpse tokens, I pop out Flesh Golems, as they become beastly at CB 8 with Bolster Undead. They also get extra moves, and have a high base Wk, which gets them booking across the field quickly. I will pop Mindless Zombies, and keep 2 in front at about 2", and one behind at 2". This way, if Lilith gets to me, I have the ability to keep at least one far away enough from her.

Paralyzing Lilith is key. Sure, it doesn't dump her Df stat, but it keeps her pinned in place while you try to take care of the strat/kill her. I usually Bolster unless I absolutely need to Arise. If I feel the pressure on him in melee, I back up and use Lure judiciously to bring my forces back ala a yo-yo. Bolster keeps the crew in a very good position. If they have a very hard time hitting you, odds are the damage will be minimal.

Another sneaky trick is to use Mindless Zombies as Lightning Rods [ala Krueger and Shifting Stones from WM]. You nail the Mindless Zombie with a really accurate Decay, which should give you an even flip, allowing you to drop a Decay Blast into a combat or against a high Df target who does not have more than 1" melee. In fact, you should probably not have any issues dropping Decays in combat even if the Mindless is engaged, because nothing you have other than Mortimer will suffer for it. Thanks to Decay healing the undead instead of damaging them, it's really a win-win.

Judicious use of his spells will be key to victory with Nico. Some people will advocate Vultures; I'm not averse to the idea, it's just not how I want to use him. The good thing about Nico is that any Corpses within 10" of him pretty much become yours, and you can summon them within 6" of you, making them immediate fodder for Reanimator.

Phew, that's a crazy long write up. I guess you can tell that I really like the fella. Make sure you never leave without Mortimer is all I will say.

Also, a Nurse is not a bad idea with him if you want to use Vultures, so that she can heal him up if he is getting in trouble, or raise his Df or provide Armor in liue of the Grave Spirit. Finding a good spot for Cover is key.

Nico should really be your anchor. Your crew moves around him, but never in such a way so as to keep him high and dry incase something slips by.

Wow..nice info, thanks!

...is this a patch applied to the skin to help you quit smoking?!

Yes... side effects include nausea, dry skin, irritability, and in rare cases turning into a flesh eating zombie.

If your flesh eating zombie condition persists for more than 4 hours, call your doctor immediately as that might be a sign of a more serious condition

I'm diggin McMourning. In my game against Lady Justice on Sunday I got rancid transplant off on the Lady, I was able to barely withstand her return attacks. In the following turn I got initiative and cast dissection 3 times on her. Opponent blocked the first 2, the third one he was out of cards. Busted out the red joker I had in my hand and did 15 damage! Yeah, she died...

Ultimately neither of us gained our objectives, and McMourning finally died. I didn't use my crews heal abilities properly :doh: but it was a very tense and exciting game :)