Two games tonight!

DangerousBeans

Finally got around to actually playing!

Forgive the brief accounts, it's been a long day!

1st Game - Rasputina vs Lady J

Since this was out first game we decided not to bother with strategies and concentrate on getting the mechanics right.

At the start we all walked about a bit, Rasputina tries to cast "White Out" and fails, no biggy.

My Golem walks forward and uses "Statue", a Death Marshal walks forward and takes a potshot - drawing the red joker on damage! With two extra from the crit he causes 7 damage! (I must of forgot about armour because looking at it now it should only have been 5, d'oh!) My jaw hits the floor. A gamin takes an ice blast at a marshal and causes some damage, Rasputina casts ice pillars to try and block some firing lanes. A marshal shoots a gamin causing some damage. Everyone else manuevers for next turn.

Lady J charges the Golem, kills it (taking 3 damage from shatter) then uses melee expert to kill a nearby Gamin (taking two more damage from shatter).

Rasputina tries to cast Decembers Curse 3 times, targeting lady J. First two miss horribly and third causes minimal damge. It is not going well! A gamin manages to kill the already wounded Marshal. The rest of the game is basically Raspy getting shot at and beaten to a pulp.

result - Epic Win for Lady J!

------------------------------------------

2nd Game - Seamus vs Lady J

We decided to use strategies this time, not that it mattered. Anyway.......

We all walk forward on the first turn, not much happens.

Seamus shoots lady J, causing 4 damage. A belle then lures her into melee but fails to hit her. Lady J uses riposte and nearly kills the Belle. Sybelle uses Shriek on Lady J but misses. A marshal charges the belle and kills her, her free action misses. Lady J charges Sybelle and smooshes her good. A belle tries to lure a Death Marshal but fails and gets shot up by the judge and a marshal.

After a bit of moving about Seamus finds himself face to face with lady j, who hurts him bad. In return he fails to do anything. Then he gets the judge in his face and ......... no more Resurrectionists on the table.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So, both games went horribly, horribly wrong for me. Almost everything I tried failed miserably and was constantly forced to use whatever good cards I had for defensive purposes.To be fair my luck was absolutely shocking, I think I burned through at least 3 aces a turn and rarely did what I have in my control hand help matters.

Death Marshals are brutal, and completely castrate resurrectionists with that auto trigger. I just could not hurt the buggers! Lady J is an absolute melee monster and I couldn't figure out any way of stopping her from mowing through everyone. I know the Marshals are supposed to be amazing at fighting undead but I was really shocked about how much they hinder them. Need to get me some canine remains to dig up bones ASAP! I was really disappointed to not get a single trigger off in either game, but again I think that was pure fate.

Really enjoy the cards mechanics and a lot of people at the club were asking questions about the game. After we play a bit more we'll be demoing it to them and see who bites.

Question: Did the soulstones not help much?

I tried, I really did! They helped shrug off a few points of damage but when soulstones were involved it tended to be the most popular time for the aces to show their leering heads. It really was quite atrocious luck!

Just to be sure, you can't cheat a soulstone flip, right?

It was driving me mad. No, actually. It was AMAZING to finally get a game, I was a bit over excited during work today!

I'm going to stick to one master just now, probably Rasputina (I painted her first so, well, you see?) and I'm looking forward to using the "cat list" (now to be dubbed the "Kitty Pride), if I can't put the hurt on the Marshals the traditional way then hell, I'm gonna eat the basties!

My Golem walks forward and uses "Statue", a Death Marshal walks forward and takes a potshot - drawing the red joker on damage! With two extra from the crit he causes 7 damage! (I must of forgot about armour because looking at it now it should only have been 5, d'oh!)

Weren't there any :mali-fate on the damage flip from Statue?

Yeah their were at least two but if you flip a joker you always use the joker, right? I'm sure we checked the rules. I just realised that's how he caused the extra two damage, from the extra flip due to the joker. Nasty business!

No. If there's a :mali-fate and the Red Joker is flipped than it is not used since it is the highest card there. ;)

Black Joker is always used regardless even if there's one or more :mali+fate

Page 33, 2nd Column, paragraph just above the Brown Call-Out box:

"Regardless of the number of cards that are flipped, if you flip a Joker, you must use the Joker as normal, and you must discard any other cards flipped."

This comes after the whole "Sum of Fate" section...I'd say yea, if the Red Joker was pulled on a :mali-fate you would still use the Red Joker.

Both of those links are 'decent', MEdwards, but neither address the black and white of the paragraph I quoted from the rulebook. Interpretations are one thing, but quotables from the rulebook that seem pretty straight forward are another thing.

Nilus seems like he is quite informed, but is he one of the official answer givers? Forgive my ignorance.

Kealios

(really not trying to rock the boat, but this one seems so black and white given the paragraph I showed...)

EricJ and Nathan Caroland are the only official answer givers.

However the important phrase is "as normal".

To use a Black Joker "As normal" you must use it if it comes up.

To use a Red Joker "As normal" it counts as a 14 in a dual and can be any suit. There is nothing in the description of how to use the Red Joker that states you must use it.

Yes when it shows up you must use it "As Normal" and that happens to be like any other card besides a black joker.

Edited by TheBugKing