Starting gangs

fildrigar

Basically, the more soulstones that you have, the more resilient and powerful your master is. For some, that is obviously attractive. The balance is that you'll have less bodies on the field, or you'll have to downgrade from Bad Juju to something less powerful. You have to choose between the strength of your crew and the individual strength of your master.

But do remember that your master has a cache already and that the size of game does give caps (8 and 10 respectively) so keep that in mind as you don't want to short yourself by having left over only to find that you had too many left over.

And while the models aren't out yet, Totems are a master's best friend, but they don't necessarily have to go with their favored masters.

Edited by goblyn13

Really? we changed that in the final book? I could have sworn you still had 1 totem that was specific for a master, and one general. such as the Scales of Justice and the Governor's Proxy.

Any way, as to the number of stones you'll want, that's your call. Perdita's starting crew is 25 stones. If you play a 30 Stone game, she's getting a pool of 7 stones. In a 30 Stone game, Sonnia can also get a decent pool, but still hire another model, or swap a Witchling for a Peacekeeper since she's got the larger Cache.

Some masters tend to like to cheat more than others. Some masters just like to be able to resist damage. Sometimes you just really want to cheat on the initiative flip. Like WS and others have said, Stones are important. I like to have 5 or more, but if I feel a particular crew is stronger by taking model X than it is saving points for stones, I'll rock the smaller pool.

I almost always take Ramos with 2 to 3 stones. With the way I play the stones almost only get used for cheating Initiative. Ramos is a back field support master though and rarely is getting up into the mix of things. Other masters will be getting into the mix and could potentially need to resist damage or cheat to win a duel here or there. As such they would benefit from more stones.

Sonnia Criid in particular benefits from a large Cache because she uses Confiscated Lore so frequently.

Really? we changed that in the final book? I could have sworn you still had 1 totem that was specific for a master, and one general. such as the Scales of Justice and the Governor's Proxy.

While they work Very well with the favored master, they don't have to be. You can take the Malifaux Cherub with Pandora, or the Enslave Nephlim with Sonnia, and yes there are 3 specific (each one to a favored master) and one General so 4 totems per faction (cept outcasts)

With the way I play the stones almost only get used for cheating Initiative. Ramos is a back field support master though and rarely is getting up into the mix of things.

That's true, but SS are especially useful in avoiding damage should he be attacked since his low Df sure isn't going to help.

Usually, however, I prefer more models versus more SS... my reasoning is that SS can only be used by the master, but more models can be used anywhere. (Sonnia is one of the notable exceptions to this rule, she likes using confiscated lore, and so needs a lot of SS)

is it me, or it is failry easy to abuse the rule with mcmourning.

By taking part counter instead of SS, you get a flesh construct for 5 ss. i know you still need the card to cast the spells, but still, it shouldn't be roo hard. Since there's no limit to the number of counter you can exchange this way, you can get 2 flesh construct for 10 SS, wich seem really overpowered.

It's not that bad, since summoning takes cards and the model gets slow. Though you can choose not to activate. Honestly McMournings reliance on body parts helps compensate for this. He's a little weak without fast every turn....

As for general SS usage, I usually believe in taking them with any master you intend to bully duel with. Usually people with high attack stat (Ca/cb) and high def. Lilith is top priority but the Vikotrias and Justice are good with it to. But honestly soulstones are excellent in general. Most masters get good milage out of them...

While they work Very well with the favored master, they don't have to be. You can take the Malifaux Cherub with Pandora, or the Enslave Nephlim with Sonnia, and yes there are 3 specific (each one to a favored master) and one General so 4 totems per faction (cept outcasts)

Well I'll be... I had totally missed that change. Thanks Matt!

is it me, or it is failry easy to abuse the rule with mcmourning.

By taking part counter instead of SS, you get a flesh construct for 5 ss. i know you still need the card to cast the spells, but still, it shouldn't be roo hard. Since there's no limit to the number of counter you can exchange this way, you can get 2 flesh construct for 10 SS, wich seem really overpowered.

This was actually purposefully built into the rules, that McMourning could essentially have 1 cheaper flesh construct, if he takes the time to do it, 2 is impossible without playing a brawl (remember the 8ss limit), and the fact that McMouring will be be left with less flexibility without extra SS/body parts is also a very limiting factor.