Come On People!

DangerousBeans

So which of you lucky (non studio/beta) people out there have your hands on the book yet? Talk about it! Is it all you'd ever dreamed it would be? Is it a groin-crunchingly huge pile of fail? Is it somewhere in between? Does it make you want to turn round to your significant other, shove two fingers up their nose, pull them towards the book you've shoved in their face and scream "see!! See!! It WAS absolutely worth spending £200 on this stuff! GIT IT RIGHT 'ROON YE!"*

Seriously though, it's ok to talk about it so how's about some spoilers until Royal Mail finally deliver and I can indulge myself in a decadent orgy of Malifaux-centric entertainment.

HURRY UP YE FUNKIN' POSTIE! THIS WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED UNDER PAT!**

*I would never do this

** just in case you don't know, Postman Pat was a beloved childrens stop motion animated series in the 80's/90's. He always made sure the post was on time. Don't watch it now though, it's rubbish. Kids are stupid.

I'm very happy with the rulebook and the rules. Everything is well explained and thought out. The quality of the book is very nice. My only real complaint is that on the vast majority of the profiles that currently do not have miniatures is that there is no art showing what they look like. I'm looking forward to giving the game a go (hopefully later this week) and looking forward to what else Wyrd has to offer for Malifaux.

The book and the game are, to borrow a term coined at GenCon; Mali-f***ing-awesome.

I played the same list for 10+ games and its amazing how many little idiosyncrasies there are to play out and learn. There is so much character to all the models and lots of neat little synergies/tactics but things are far from power gamey, nor over the top. The masters are pretty easy to use, but you'll be learning for a long time all that they are capable of which is a HUGE plus for me.

The art in the book is great and the fluff is pretty stellar. The layout of the book at first read seems weird (no pun intended) but then quickly becomes logical and easy to flip through.

The best part of this game in my mind is that this game definitely has staying power with its scenario and terrain set-up. By this I make the comparison to Warmachine. I fell out of Warmachine because of the scenarios severley limited tactics and balance. He who goes first is at an advantage to win the scenario objectives, he who goes second typically has to throw his whole army at his oppoent to prevent the turn 3 scenario victory and leverage for a caster kill. This is NOT the case in Malifaux, you've got to play it out to the end and there are two stages of Victory points.

You each may select a "Strategy" for 4 to 2 VPs, then you each select 2 or 3 "Schemes" which count as 1 Vp or 2 VP if you ANNOUNCE it to your opponent! So you can be loosing the game, loose your master but stalemate the Strategy, secure your Schemes and possibly win the game. This makes for some very suspenseful games constant adapting to the game.

Plus there is some great game size possibilities, so you can play a lot of different game sizes that will have a different feel because of how many cards, soulstones and masters you're bringing to the table.

I am severely impressed with this system and the products.

I had a dream last night that the parcel arrived, but inside wasa chair and GorkaMorka trukks. Pretty strange. I'm going to spend today finishing off my Seamus crew if it doesn't arrive. I've entered a sort of trance like state, but I think it's my brain telling my body to stop being so over excited!

Oh btw Shaun, nice avatar. Can't wait for season 4!

The book is amazing! I knew the Wyrd name prior to Gencon and was utterly blown away that the Malifaux book was as well-produced as the minis. It sold me on Wyrd, so here I am.

I got 7-8 games in at Gencon and finally "got" my Master of choice (Rasputina). The depth of the game is outstanding and I've only just started understanding the Scheme/scenario rules. Definitely my new favorite skirmish game.

If you have any specific questions, DangerousBeans, let me know and I can answer them for you.

For $35 dollars it's an amazing value for a rule set. I thought I would hate that it was soft cover but on further inspection it's better that way. It actually fits in an army transport case. I don't have to deal with a codex for my faction, I get info on them all. Which means I can learn about what my opponents are playing without making a further investment. The fluff is great and tells that tale of where "we" are chronologically while still leaving some stuff open ended for further discovery or to write your own story. They also leave a nice cliff hanger in the back. The artwork is what we have all come to love and respect from them thus far.

The game play is very unique. There was never a chance when I felt completely blown out. In one game I lost my Steamborg (2/5 of my army) on the top of turn 2 and my master three turns later. I was still able to take the game to a draw. In other games you will just get blown out if that stuff happens. It's nice that the game isn't over when your Master dies. It's nice that you can still compete without a master.

The set-up and VP point system is very original and can lead to never playing the same game twice. After watching most of the starters pay each other at one point or another they seem very balanced. Usually after a couple of days of playing you would here grumblings about one faction or the other being stronger. I didn't here anything like that. There were no discussion about pieces being too strong.

Well done overall, Very nice book. Great booth set-up. Friendly Henchman. I know, kinda an oxymoron. Everyone at the booth was helpful. I didn't get a chance to talk to Nathan due to the amount of people that were flocked around him most of the Con. It was nice to talk with Eric and the ladies at the booth. Nick the writer was great. Drew and Victor were very patient and helpful with all of my questions during demos.

Rochester, NY is being taken over by Wyrd.

TS

Edited by Travis Syxx
Forgot to put no before discussions. Kinda important

That's us, the friendly Henchmen. Congrats on picking Rasputina. Now that you've tried original recipe (starter set) Rasputina, you should throw in a December Acolyte and some Hoarcat Prides. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, for sure.

It was really pretty amazing to see the tournament on Saturday night only have 1 or 2 real rules questions come up. We even had 3 players in the tournament who hadn't even played a demo yet, and they knew what they were doing by the end of the first turn or two.

In general, yes. They may not read that way at first glance but after a couple of games you'll start to see why. Part of the flavor with the Outcasts is their more limited access to Soulstones. They're not weaker, but their strengths lie elsewhere (Jones gets 0 SS, but Gremlins only cost 2 per, for example).