Crews and different basing

Pavic

Over this weekend, I have been assembling and basing my first crew and while filing the mold line off Rasputina, I began to ponder what other crew members, especially outcasts, that I might pick up to flesh out crew. However, while going down this line of thought, I came upon a quandry.

I come from the line of thought that all miniatures in a particular force should have the same type of basing, to ensure that the force appears cohesive, even though the minis themselves might not appear to be so. However, even within the factions, using the same type of basing might actually appear strange, and this leads to my problem. My Cult of December are of course being mounted on rocky, wintery bases, and I even had plans to follow through with this on all of my Arcanists, even Ramos, Marcus, etc. But then I came to think about the Outcasts that I would add and came into a problem. I imagine that many of the outcasts can be hired by multiple, if not all, of the factions. I do intend to start another faction, probably the Guild, simply so that I can demo the game to friends and thereby convert them to Wyrd's cause. However, I have no intention of basing a Guild crew on rocky, wintery bases. It would of course also be nice to be able to use my outcasts with the Guild force as well. However, if I put all of my Outcasts on rocky, wintery bases and then stick my Guild minis on parched earth bases, the Outcasts are going to appear awfully strange when used with the Guild.

So, has anyone else ran into this issue? If so, how did you decide to deal with it? Did you simply decide to go for appearance over cohesiveness, resulting in a mismatch of basing, where models in the snow will be working with models on parched earth? Did you bite the bullet and decide to base all of your minis the same, even though Perdita would be incredibly cold sitting in that snow bank?

or, multiple of the same outcast on different bases :D

I know, we can only hope ;)

I ran into the same problem... what I decided on doing was have some natural/ grasslands themed "outcast bases" which were cohesive among all the outcasts and wouldn't conflict with other factions' bases.

So although the bases don't match whenever I hire mercs, they aren't part of the main faction anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

or, multiple of the same outcast on different bases :D

I know, we can only hope ;)

Believe it or not, I am actually considering this option :D

That being said, I have enough miniatures to paint to cover the next several years, so I may take the route Angus recommended.

I have not tried the magnet option with basing models, but I did use them to make my vehicle wargear in 40k modulated with magnets. Here is my source http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

They make great magnets, especialy the small ones, top notch, very strong and in many shapes.

In my experience the magnets are strong enough to hold the dozerblade/turret/hkmissle on a tank for an entire game of moving about, but some of the larger metal models like killjoy might be a bit much.

My Ortegas have different bases than my Witch Hunters. My Seamus crew will have different bases than my McM crew. I use a color to link the factions together, and maybe a few other bits and bobs. I've got little nods to other basing styles for other crews within my collection. My Outcasts are in a Victorian sewer setting (open, brickwork, bit of water effects), and my Samael is standing with part of a manhole cover on his base. Things like that.

Generally the same colour probably, it's probably going to be normally either green or brown, so I've decided to do my bases a parched earth colour. The board itself isn't a fixed board or anything like that though, it's just the regular board with scenery.

I do like the themed bases though. I think part of it is also I spend very little time painting, I'm one of those people who mostly have a silver horde, so therefore never really do much in the way of actual themed bases either.

I actually think I am going to steal an idea that someone else I know is doing an matching my Guild bases with the other faction they specialize in hunting. So my Death Marshalls are on Graveyard bases, as will my Res eventually. My Ortegas are on Sewer Bases, and I plan to put Neverborn models(My thinking is Neverborn are the stuff of nightmares, so in the city they'd be wandering around the sewers). And finally I am gonna put my Witchhunters on Victorian bases since I plan to put my Arcanists on those as well. I have some fun plans for putting Marcus and crew on street bases.

My girlfriend's doing a similar idea, but she's taking it a few steps further. I'm not going to say more though, because it is definitely an idea worth stealing.

She's got a history of putting "trophies" from friends' armies into her forces. She's got a few Khador and Menoth pieces in her Circle army, and pieces is definitely the most appropriate word there.

A gamer gf? Well done sir!

I didn't think about basing issues until it was too late. So now my Neverborn will be on swamp bases, Arcanists will be on snow bases and Resurrectionists will be on boardwalk/earth bases (I'd already built/based my starter crews when I realised this). Although it's not much of an issue, I can totally see Pandora going round to Zoriada's hut for a cup of tea.

I have no idea what I'll do for outcasts. Either base them to suit their own individual selves or in the style of the faction I'm most likely to use them with.