Privateer Press - Warmachine Ios Art

Completely overdesigned and oversized weapons?

Sounds like it fits in perfect with their 'vision'

seems like I'm always agreeing with you and here is definitely no exception..

The worrying thing here is that even the art looks clunky and overworked.. throw that into the scukptng/ cast phase and these will most likely look errrr...daft.?? I hope I'm wrong but probably not....

everytime I pick up a PP piece I feel like they are the miniature equivalent of Lego's Duplo.. bigger and chunkier with a very toy soldier look.

Hordes is a bit different I love the Trollbloods and the skorne titans rock but other than that not my bag.

The design is something I am very fond of. In this aspect I can only bow my head for introducing something different and unexpected.

At the same time, seeing the concepts, my limited miniature production experience told me that the translation to 3d will kill the charm.

It killed. The proportions are different the face is really far from the concept. I mean - this is a warcaster. After seeing him, my resistance roll got +8 boost.

For the people who want to see him :)

Dawnlord Vyros

dawnlord-vyros.jpg

Dawnlord Vyros views the military might of the new Retribution as a sword in his hands, one sufficient to sunder any obstacle. He has the loyalty of the Dawnguard and the volunteered assets of dozens of other houses. The dawnlord has a reputation as a bold and forthright general who leads by example. Even pursuits such as falconry Vyros extends to applications in war, linking his mind to his hawk’s to look down from above and survey the battlefield.

Vyros comes in a blister (PIP 35001). A player may field one Vyros in his Retribution army.

Apart from the head, I really like him (headswap!). But I like everything PP releases...PP and me really are on the same wavelength in designs and miniatures so I'm a happy camper :)

And I don't even get how that "sword" is supposed to work.

First off.....you have to assume that he can swing around something that looks like it ways 10x as much as a sledge hammer. Now...go try to swing around a sledge hammer.

The edge of the sword has a weird optical illusion to it. Towards the base it looks like the sharp side is pointing upwards. However, as it moves upward, it looks like it is now flat and moving into the hooked part.

I think World of Warcraft is oozing out into the rest of culture just a bit too much these days with the way that armor and weapons look.

First off.....you have to assume that he can swing around something that looks like it ways 10x as much as a sledge hammer. Now...go try to swing around a sledge hammer.

The edge of the sword has a weird optical illusion to it. Towards the base it looks like the sharp side is pointing upwards. However, as it moves upward, it looks like it is now flat and moving into the hooked part.

I think World of Warcraft is oozing out into the rest of culture just a bit too much these days with the way that armor and weapons look.

It's actually the faux Japanese style. WoW has it, as does Warmachine (Mostly in concept art but the elven stuff always looks faux anime). It's very popular these days and sadly has invaded most geekdom (Like Anima Tactics for example). I wish it wasn't for besides in rare circumstances I'm not a fan (Except kingdom under Fire which I find reaches a good middle ground).

Does anyone else remember when Warcraft was basically warhammer? Ah Orcs vs Humans...

It's actually the faux Japanese style.

I think you mean Chinese, although its possible that Japan has had some hooked swords as well. I am just unaware of them. Hook swords are general light weight and used in pairs though. Since they are used for tripping up your opponent generally. There is no reason to wield a 6 foot long one as it defeats the purpose, since it would be nearly impossible to use the hook end anyways.

Not that anything in Miniature games has to make sense. But saying its based on something real doesn't make it look any less stupid. I am hoping this is just an anomaly. Maybe the rest of the Retribution army will look awesome.

I'm actually really disappointed.

Elves in power armor does not seem terribly creative to me. The technology displayed is not steampunk any more. It's neo tech. Their guns even look like rail guns for gods sake!

<sigh> I do think they are pretty though. They just look REALLY out of place in the IK.

I'm actually really disappointed.

Elves in power armor does not seem terribly creative to me. The technology displayed is not steampunk any more. It's neo tech. Their guns even look like rail guns for gods sake!

This appears to be the common line-of-thought. Especially since it's pretty well-known that the designer is a fan of the Shirow art. But then the Privateer defenders come out, and it's flame time again.