St. Anger's Malifaux Painting Blog

St. Anger

So after many thread posts with Keltheos and TheBugKing, I am finally posting my blog chronicling my painting progress of Malifaux miniatures. I figured I'd start my own painting blog for my Wyrd minis, partially for my own motivation, but also to help inspire others... Kel??? ;) I will try to keep it updated, somewhat regularly… I hope… My goal is to be able to bring a fully painted collection to Gencon…

I'll also post some of the color builds, techniques and tips that I use… I will also try to make use of my new camera to get some good pics and post them.

Any feedback or questions are welcome…

Here are my lists:

Bare Metal

2 Steampunk Arachnid Swarms

Sabertooth 2/25/09 (Assembled but not based yet)

The Hag

3 Silurids 2/24/09 (Arms pinned, but need to finish base)

4 Bayou Gremlins

Seamus

Madame Sybelle

3 Belles

Nicodem

Mortimer

3 Punk Zombies

Mc Mourning

Sebastian

Cleaned, Pinned, Assembled and Based

Sabertooth 2/25/09

Assembled and Primered

Ramos (I just re-based him on a 30mm) 2/9/09

Ice Golem

Lillith 3/11/2009

10 Terror Tots 3/11/09

Mature Nephilim 3/11/09

Bishop 3/13/09

Rusty Alice 3/13/09

Myranda – Beastmistress 3/13/09

Marcus – The Beastmaster 3/13/09

In Progress (some paint, any paint)

2 Steampunk Arachnid Swarms (Soon to be converted to work on both 30mm and 40mm bases)

Rasputina

Misaki

Steamborg - Executioner Class 3/16/09

Razorspine Rattler 3/15/09

Killjoy 3/16/09

Convict Gunslinger 3/18/09

Completed for GenCon 2009

Nothing yet! :(

Completed for GenCon 2008

Joss

Viktoria – Sword Mistress

Taelor – Lady Hammerstrike

Sonnia

Samael

3 Witchlings

Perdita

Francisco

Santiago

Nino

Papa Loco

Lady Justice

The Judge

3 Death Marshalls

Edited by St. Anger
Updating Progress

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to take new pics of whats painted and some of my current WIPs...

I did get the spiders separated from their 40mm bases and will begin the conversion process to use the magnets with the 30mm and 40mm bases.

As soon as my base order arrives I will be able to get my spider swarms and my Lilith group based and primed...

My order of bases and minis have arrived... I have updated my list above to move them to unpainted metal...

Tonight, I will begin cleaning, pinning and basing alot of these minis... I am starting to realize how much work I have in front of me to complete before Gencon... What have I gotten myself into??? Damn you, Kel!!! ;)

I have updated my progress above. I am working to get more Cleaned, Pinned, Assembled and Based before I pull out the can of primer.

I am going to try to get some more pinning done this weekend, if possible.

I do want to give my props to Jeff Wilhelm on the quality of his bases. I bought a bunch of them over the past couple months and will be using them on a bunch of my Wyrd minis to save some prep time in basing them.

Best of luck man!

I too got nothing done. Some big time waster called the Iron Painter or something...

I'll get back on the wagon tonight though! I'm hoping the chiropractor's office is open today as well. It was a rough weekend with my back all sorts of fubar and they were closed last friday! :(

Be sure to use paraffin wax as a lubricant for your drill bits. They won't break any where near as frequently. Just go buy a cheap candle and drill into that before drilling your pin holes. You will increase the life of your bits about 300 to 400%.

Similar story here....nothing. Only my big time waster was the woman. Wanted to look at all sorts of wedding stuff this weekend (and its not for probably a year and a 1/2).

On the subject of drillbits though - is there any decent place to get a 1/32" drillbit? I got one as part of a dremel bit kit, and its starting to get pretty dull. The only way I've found to replace it near me is buying an entirely new dremel bit case (which is about $8-10 for a single tiny drill bit). I haven't looked online even though I'm sure I could get them there. I just assume that I'd have to buy a bunch if buying online, whereas I only need a small handful to last me years and years (my current one has lasted me probably 3+ years - I don't use them that much).

As far as the bits go... You can get bits at most hobby stores. I will post an email this evening with the bit# that would be equal to a 1/32 size bit. I use that size since 1/32 rod fits the interior diameter of 1/16 brass tube. I think it might be a #66 bit, but I am not 100% sure.

As far as the wedding stuff goes... My suggestion is to just go with the flow... It will save you from grief and headaches (yours and hers ;) )

Similar story here....nothing. Only my big time waster was the woman. Wanted to look at all sorts of wedding stuff this weekend (and its not for probably a year and a 1/2).

On the subject of drillbits though - is there any decent place to get a 1/32" drillbit? I got one as part of a dremel bit kit, and its starting to get pretty dull. The only way I've found to replace it near me is buying an entirely new dremel bit case (which is about $8-10 for a single tiny drill bit). I haven't looked online even though I'm sure I could get them there. I just assume that I'd have to buy a bunch if buying online, whereas I only need a small handful to last me years and years (my current one has lasted me probably 3+ years - I don't use them that much).

Edited by St. Anger

Be sure to use paraffin wax as a lubricant for your drill bits. They won't break any where near as frequently. Just go buy a cheap candle and drill into that before drilling your pin holes. You will increase the life of your bits about 300 to 400%.

I have a block of parafin that I use for my bits... Just bad luck... :(

Hope your back feels better.

As far as the bits go... You can get bits at most hobby stores. I will post an email this evening with the bit# that would be equal to a 1/32 size bit. I use that size since 1/32 rod fits the interior diameter of 1/16 brass tube. I think it might be a #66 bit, but I am not 100% sure.

As far as the wedding stuff goes... My suggestion is to just go with the flow... It will save you from grief and headaches (yours and hers ;) )

1/32" = #68 It's .0025 smaller then 1/32" but that makes for a nice press fit and 1/32 brass rod usually has more of a deviation then .0025 anyway.

Oh, I definitely know whats good for me! I wouldn't dare cross her about wedding stuff or else I'd end up with a knife in my back. She's one of those types of girls who's been planning out her wedding since she was 10.

Thanks also for the bit info both of you. I currently use the 1/32" brass rod for most of my pinning, so something that would be compatible with that is all I'm worried about.

Hi St Anger,

keeping a blog is the right thing to do; I started mine 4 years ago to keep track of everything hobby related (terrain building and miniature painting) and so far I managed to increase my output every year; the quality seems to improve a little too...

http://art-de-vivre.blogspot.com/

the only problem I have is that I can't post any minis I want to enter in a contest, or I risk being disqualified ! That's why I'm always way ahead of what is actually on the blog.

on marriage : I've been married 19 years now and have no advice whatsoever to offer and I still don't understand women...

on bits : I buy mine on ebay, there are some good vendors out there with decent prices; I have been using a pin vise for years, and change bits 2-3 times a year.

Thanks for the advice on parrafin, I never thought of that : I always have candles lying around and will from now on use finished candles to try and extend the bit life !!!

About bits quality, I'm not sure if carbon bits are the best, I suppose HSS (high speed steel) should be better since they are more expensive; I started using new bits that fit my dremel recently : the result is great and painless, but the breakage rate is very high. Now I'm thinking about buying a "chuck adapter" (also on ebay for 5 bucks) to fit some ordinary HSS bits onto my dremel : combined with the parrafin trick, pinning should be a breeze !

Will keep you posted !

Cheers !

I am back on track... I picked up a new set of #66 bits from a local hobby store... Last night, I was able to pin and base the Convict Gunslinger and Bishop. I re-based Ramos on a 30mm base and started to pin and base Rusty Alice.

I have updated my list on page one to include my recent accomplishments... I should probably look at the online blogging capability that Nathan mentioned...

@Art

You are correct, a blog does help to you focused and on track. I do not use a dremel with my drill bits. It runs to fast to control. I either use a ball pinvise or a cordless screwdriver with a chuck adapter.

If you can get your hands on a foot pedal for the dremel so that you can control speed in that fashion it is superior to any other option you can get your hands on. You can then run the bit very slowly to get the cut started and then ramp up the speed to where the bit likes to run (Approximately 500 to 1000 rpm) to get the hole drilled quickly. Again it is vitally important to use the paraffin wax to lubricate the cut.

Another thing that folks often forget to do is to use paraffin wax on their carbide cutting bits. If you lubricate the cutting heads the pewter will not stick in the flutes of the cutting head (Or if it does all it takes is a quick wipe with a paper towel to clean them.)

See here for an example of the drilling process with a *edit #75 /*edit bit (Very small!)

[ame=http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/TheBugKing/Generic%20Garbage/?action=view&current=MOV00399.flv]http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/TheBugKing/Generic%20Garbage/?action=view&current=MOV00399.flv[/ame]

For those of you familiar with Warmachine that was Mortenebra's arm that was getting a pin.

Edited by TheBugKing

I like my 2.4 v Black & Decker Cordless Screwdriver. Since I can leave my projects and tools out due to the roaming hands of my kids, my dremel rarely gets used. Therefore, the cordless does a good job. I have a handful of hex chuck bits and the hex bit adjustable chuck, which allow me to handle any project.