Savage Malifaux??

joshuaslater

Do the folks at Wyrd plan on an RPG as well as a tabletop game for Malifaux??

If yes, or no, I'm hoping they'll consider releasing a Savage Worlds Malifaux setting book. It's non-exclusive and would really be a great cross promotion, ultimately selling more pewter.

I'm betting some of the Deadlands players out there are already buying the models for that game.

Cheers.

We've tossed that ball around a bit here and to be honest we're rather interested in working a full blown RPG for Malifaux but we've chosen for the moment to focus on the skirmish rules and releasing that first before branching out.

If all goes well, and we have high hopes, we'll be going that direction in the future.

As for Savage Worlds, I've given a glance at it due to the fact that it is an open setting but beyond that I haven't done any serious research into the matter as it is on the backburner for the moment. What are the positives, and negatives, of going with Savage vs. say, d20 or even our own rules set?

Just curious now.

Savage Worlds is my latest RPG, and the only one that got me back to roleplaying games after many years. I'm still primarily a tabletop player, but SW has my Sundays, and has stolen my heart.

The combats play more like a tabletop game, and don't get bogged down by too many mechanics, but still have the options to really run wild. Players are allowed and encouraged to try more options than just what "feat" they would have in D&D. Character creation is much more fun with a point buy system, and the edges and hindrances let you create your vision of the character, rather than someone else's idea of what your character is.

The mechanics are stripped down, but it's an elegant simplicity, rather than barebones.

The advantage you have of putting out a Savage Worlds supplement over that of a D&D book is that you will retain ownership of your creation, and have the option to still put out your own book down the road. Also, there is no large expenditure like getting into bed with Hasbro.

Of course, this can also be done as a free pdf, with the appropriate marks indicating the Pinnacle logo and giving credit where it's due. Ultimately, the Pinnacle people sell their basic rulebook, and you promote Malifaux to a whole new audience.

You could do this with a published hardcover book like Slipstream (pulp sci-fi), Sundered Skies (dark fantasy), or 50 Fathoms (fantasy/pirates). I think this would sell for you, if the quality is on the lines of the Wyrd miniature line.

I'm not a member of Pinnacle, but I am a client!!

Pinnacle has a very basic approach, and you can find their information readily from their website. I've no doubt they would speak to you personally regarding a partnership of this sort.

I'm going to post on the Pinnacle forums to see what others in the community think of Wyrd miniatures, Malifaux, and the idea of Savage Malifaux. Their forums are similar to yours in that it's a very friendly crowd of like minded people who enjoy gaming, and want to help each other out.

Cheers,

Joshua Slater

Wyrd RPG? That would be pretty awesome. The setting sure is interesting; I'd love to quest around Malifaux stealing soulstones and the like. I play with a d20 group a couple times a month and we have tons of fun. Never get much done, but still have tons of fun. I mos def sport my Wyrd minis. I'm using Francisco as my character right now. They all use all these prepainted yuckness. So I loan them my wyrd ones whenever I bring enough. I'm trying to get them to realize the lameness of PPP, and even offered to paint them if they buy them, we'll have to see.

I don't know anything about Savage world/system, but the d20 seems to work pretty well. I don't think it really matters as long as you have a good GM and it’s relatively quick to calculate rolls and not slow the game down to much. You know, that balance that I'm sure you’re working on with the skirmish game... Also any system that is already in place will have the advantage of familiarity and temp more people to play it. I'm done rambling now.

I am a huge Savage Worlds fan and can see the rules fitting Malifaux nicely. After all, they're based off the old Deadlands rules, which used cards for a few of their game mechanics. And, as mentioned on the SW forums, the minis would fit several of their settings (Runepunk, Deadlands, some even in Solomon Kane or Sundered Skies).

Hmmm...

Edited by Keltheos

It seems like such an obvious fit I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested already. Savage Worlds is an RPG that can handle things like firearms in a fantasy setting, and magic or psionics in a modern setting. It plays exactly like their motto: "Fast, Furious, and Fun."

I'll be getting Wyrd this coming year in anticipation of the game, but also because every model in the line is ace, and usable for Savage Worlds. It's win-win for me.

Cheers.

Id like to see them come up with there own game system...but I am also a fan of the newer Alpha Omega game system...free form Macgic, firearms, even create your own monsters etc. There is one game out there that has a flavor to work with Malifaux tho...anyone else heard of Unhallowed Metropolis?

• 2 weeks later...

Part of it's the disillusioned d20 crowd either because they're tired of the brain-sweat necessary to keep a good game of 3.5 running or they're bitter at the drop by WotC to 4e (or don't like 4e).

Plus the more game worlds SW is associated with the wider its appeal spreads. It's always interesting to see how much the mechanics are able to stretch when necessary within the different settings.

And, it's awesome and people are finally figuring it out!

My 2p: My bf has become quite the fan of SW recently - he's massively attracted to the Deadlands and 50 Fathoms settings (I recommended the Wyrd minis when he was asking about possible Deadlands figures). He ran a brief taster with me when he was over a little while ago and it was a lot of fun. It's interesting to play a system where a basic power is the same across the board, but it's how you describe it that makes it magic/super-power/high-tech. One thing to note about SW is it's quite pulp, even if it says it's generic. If that fits the feel of the setting, then it's a hell of a lot of fun. Watch out for the exploding dice! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If do decide to produce a RPG I would prefer a system specific game, but as an alternative Savage Worlds seem to be the best option to me, as long as you try to import some of the mechanics of the TTG, specifically the cards, into some aspect of the system, Conflict resolution, encounter tables, scenario design......

Looking forward to TTG as I seem to be running out of background matierial to read.

I love Savage Worlds. I think Malifaux would be a good fit for it. That being said I don't think uping the card use for a Malifaux game is a great idea. SW is a such a streamlined system that once you start adding anything you start slowing the game down a lot. Even Deadlands Reloaded didn't really add any more card mechanics to the system and it still plays great and keeps the flavor of the setting.

So who's gonna get cracking on this and run a game at Gencon?

• 2 weeks later...

(whistles quietly to himself in a corner)

The cards create an interesting conundrum in an RPG. Savage Worlds uses them strictly for determining initiatives and for generating some random events (and spellcasting in Deadlands), but that's it. Where they work in the miniatures game they're less likely to in an RPG where each player has a character (so a range of 2-6 on average) as well as the GM having to run anywhere from 1 to 10000 NPCs in an encounter.

Don't think I haven't been brainstorming how they could potentially work in an RPG already. ;)