Inspiration has struck... dangit.

ThunderhawkerMinis

So I am inspired to try scultping again today. Looking at Kev White's project table was a bad idea I suppose.

So here is the quandry, what to sculpt? I went through my sketchbooks and what do you know? Nothing. So I sit and doodle a bit. I end up with something inspired by the AoW Barbarian I did for TTIV. Somewhat static with lots of character. I will try and get a scan of the sketch up soon.

Also I made a putty oven (yay extra desk lamp and aluminum foil!) so we will see how that goes.

Having slopped some apoxie sculpt on a basic armature and set it in the oven, I am anxiously awaiting the dried product so I can begin real sculpting. Being an art major I did take the required sculpting classes, but was never able to get into it. However, having worked briefly and a comic illustrator I do have a fair knowledge of anatomy, clothing folds, etc. The trick will be to translate it into 3D. Currently the now-baking putty is about 38mm in height, and i suspect when he has a head it will be about 40-45mm. So rather than do this at CMON, I am going to do the WIP here, where we are a little closer than the somewhat massive CMON numbers.

Here is the scan. Bear in mind this is all of 5 minutes work:P

dude001.jpg

Edited by ThunderhawkerMinis
Added scan

cool stuff I can't wait to lower my workload and get GD out of the way as I am planning on some sculpting of my own concepts and will share my progress on here too.

I know the first sketch was the rough one but I prefer his positioning more than the bottom one...

the sculpting start looks great and looking forwad to seeing the progress..

Any more pics of your artwork to share ..I lIke it...

So with the head being slightly large in proportion to the body (its exaggerated in the photo because he is leaning back) I am building up the body with GS. This is serving two purposes: Filling him out and getting tat smooth finished GS look. The sword is done and actually mounted on the belt now, though the jury is still out on "resting hand" or "gripping hand". I have it sitting just right (for now) so I can do either one. Suggestions? I am leaning toward "gripping" as its conveys potential movement in a static figure. The axe looks too plain at the moment, so I have made a couple "scibor-esge" stamps to see if I can add some detail... we shall see how they turn out.

All the work I have done tonight, I am letting cure naturally overnight in lieu of shoving them in the putty oven.

So here it is, continuing right along. For my first full sculpt, I am pretty pleased with it. You can’t tell from the pics but the head is looking very solid (IMHO). The variations in the putty come from multiple “firings” in the putty oven.

Since the head was a little disproportional to the body, I am beefing up the chest, arms and shoulders, as well as the trapezius (sp?). Other additions include the toe and heel caps, the sword, the left hand, extending the waistcloak’s collar and adding folds to it.

noble-barbariangreen006.jpg

noble-barbariangreen007.jpg