Tabletop formats ?

Illustrange

Ive had a gaming"table" when I was younger, wich was I think the warhammer recommended size.

Now I am planning out to make one again, both to play games and also test my own, but I cant find any articles or rules considering table size.

so a couple of questions :

and to be clear Im talking about a board, not *playing on the dinner table* as I dont have a dinner table :)

What size do you use ?

considering the following games what are recommendable sizes (they are in order of interest.) :

Malifaux (offcourse :))

Helldorado

Hordes/Warmachine

Legend of the High Seas

Deadlands : the Great rail wars (if it still exists.)

Mordheim

Alkemy

Dark Age

and perhaps a little addition to the info, I prefer as much terrain as possible, I dont like empty-field gaming.

would an abundance of terrain including different levels (like in necromunda.) require bigger or smaller table than usual ?

Im not looking for necessary exact answers, more reference info to get a good view on this part of gaming. and also because its an interesting topic.

oh an pictures of gametables welcome too :)

The standard WHFB & 40K tables are 4'X6'. Mordheim is 4'X4'; I believe that the 4'X4' is also the size for WarMachine & Hordes. The other games I'm not familiar with, but I'm sure one of helpful folks on the forum can give you the lowdown on them.

BTW ,if you are into Mordheim check out this forum: http://www.boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com/ : This is Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum, a really cool place for Mordheim related stuff;i.e., scenery, minis, general discussions. Really nice, friendly folks. It's tied with Wyrd as my favorite hangout; highly recommended.

Edited by DeafNala
Spelling one more time with feeling & 4 part harmony.

I use a 4x4 table as it is the standard size for most games. If you need a smaller one, just use the 4x4 one.

I made a folding table as it is easier for transport.

You can see it here (the last photo) :

http://alkemy.webkido.com/index.php?topic=407.0

Nice work on the fold and everything, any chance we can see how you built the hinge side?

Another 4' x 4' proponent here. Bearing in mind that I basically play skirmish type games nowadays. Back in the 40K days i had a game room with a 4' x 8' table. One of the things I really like about the 4' x 4' format is the option of choosing one of four deployment zones. And a game using the two sides from the first game is a totally different game without resetting the board.

• 2 weeks later...

4x4 is small enough to be practical to play on, and big enough to add an appropriate perspective to the minis to allow them to fit in their space. It's sort of become the standard it seems for small/mid sized games for a good reason. Likely not something that will change I don't expect, and the reason it will almost certainly be the standard for wyrd as well.