Harry The Hammer WIP!!!

orkydave

Hiya,

I was lucky enough (well, stamped my feet and screamed and screamed and screamed till andy gave in and gave me him to do!) to get asked to paint my stores sample model of Harry the Hammer, the limited edition miniature celebrating 25 years of Warhammer fantasy battle. He's a gorgeous sculpt so I thought I would share my progress with my fellow Wyrdo's! - No coolminiornot for this miniature- you lucky lucky people! and heres how I am doing so far...

DSC01508.jpg

Model and base (which is awesome!) undercoated

DSC01519.jpg

The reds were achieved with a basecoat of scorched brown, mixing gradual ammounts of scab red, up to pure scab red, then mixing in incerasing ammounts of dwarf flesh for the highlights. Loads of brown and red glazes inbetween each layer too.

DSC01520.jpg

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01522.jpg

more shots showing alternative angles and the cloak and skin. The skin areas were basecoated in Tallarn flesh and then repeadedly glazed with purples. It was then highlighted with tallarn, mixed gradually with bleached bone and received lighter purple, red and brown glazes before a final highlight of pure bleached bone in places. The furs are basecoated Khemri brown then brown inked before drybrushing khemri mixed gradually with bleached bone, concentrating more on the raised edges, with a few brown glazes to pull it all together.

We were also sent a display card to put harry on when he is all finished and in the cabinets, but in all truthfulness it looks like something you would cut out of the back of a cereal packet, so Chris, the other full timer made him this display base

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

Chris will be painting the display base, which will leave me with more time to do my Iron painter entry! Was thinking of doing Harry, but I don't think blue is his colour!

Will keep you all updated with progress, and would love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers, Dave

kisses and balloons!

Your manager lets you paint what you want to paint, rather than deliberately giving you the stuff you hate?! And isn't using the hallowed Official Base?! Thought that was a sacking offence, from my experience....

A fitting anniversary figure and looking good! Nice one, cheers! Look forward to seeing his progress.

Thanks for the feedback peeps!

@ Dancecommander-Harry is released on Saturday 26th April and will be available for two days only.

@v22TTC- My manager is really ace! He even gives us input and freedom on colourschemes and themes on store sample mini's and armies rather than just wanting them the same colour as they are in the book. Been there for 6 months now and I love it!

@ 350kilotons- If its any consolation I will have to wait until after release day for my own, as we can't take staff ones from store allocation and need to order him. Only allowed the one at discount also, any others will be at full price.

@ Stubdog- Thanks mate, I have a gallery up on cool mini you can also check up on (I would put in a link but I am a technophobe). I had a look at your gallery on there after the draw and must admit I was very impressed- you seemed to really roll up your sleeves for the IP entries too!

A bit more progress today- apologies for the pics...

DSC01540.jpg

DSC01541.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

Was going for a metallic Non metallic look for the metals, where you paint it the same way as you would NMM, but in metallics. Not 100% happy with them, I think they need more contrast, and I also have not completley got my head around how light reflects yet. I think it looks ok, but not great. The golds were done using tinbits, followed by dwarf bronze, then shining gold then Mithril silver. They were then given a light glaze with purple followed by green inks.

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

Chris also has made a start on the base.

Glad your working for GW experience isn't like mine: it's 5-6 years ago now and it still enrages me! Ah well... do you know a manager called Dom, by the way? Went from training in Dublin (where I was) to running the Eastborne branch... sound guy - would be grateful if you could say hi to him from me if he's still about (I'm Rob... just say `Haldir's Elves'). And Adam (Smith) from Brighton was a close friend... miss him loads....

[Wipes away sepia tint....]

Mini's coming on - which colours are the closest from the last pics, top or others? I've kind of reached the point now where I can buy the odd GW mini without spontaneously vomiting so I might grab one of these guys; cheers for letting us know about him... pretty sure I would never have known otherwise.... :)

None of those names ring a bell Rob, I am in the midlands region and only been there 6 months or so, but will keep an ear open!

I have been off this week, so painting has played second fiddle to spending some quality time with the wife and son. I have managed some progress though...

DSC01553.jpg

A bit of freehand on the shield.

Well he's all finished and in the cabinets now, so here are some photo's for you to enjoy!

DSC01572.jpg

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

DSC01580.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys, If you are ever in Coventry then please pop into the store to see him for yourself!

Another little treat for you all, This beautiful bit of kit is the soulgrinder! This is all Chris's work but I thought you may appreciate it!

DSC01588-1.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

• 2 months later...