time for a change: Wyrd...here I come!

thetang22

I've been into collecting and painting miniatures for some years now, and I'm also a big fan of games. Granted, I've never really got into the games too much that I was buying miniatures from, I've been looking for one to break into. Much like everyone else, when I was first got into the hobby I looked at GW. I was pleased with the quality of miniatures they offered until I found out their were plenty of other companies.

I eventually made my way to Rackham, and stayed there for a few years until just recently. I really loved the metals they produced. I had invested in Hybrid first, then Cadwallon, and was JUST about to start a Confrontation 3 army when the bomb dropped: Rackham announced they were dropping support of C3 for CaoR and were going the way of PPP. I had no desire to play a big unit based game - I was interested in trying out skirmish. Anyway, support for all the game systems pretty much ceased with the announcement of CaoR. I waited around until just recently, hoping Rackham was going to produce something that would get me excited like they used to always do....but it didn't happen. It just turned into one bad announcement after the next. Meanwhile I've got a pile of unpainted minis that are starting to form a bad taste in my mouth every time I look at them because they remind me of my discontent with Rackham.

And that brings me to where I am today. I'm thinking about getting rid of almost all my old unpainted stuff so that I can start over from scratch. Every time I look at the unpainted stuff it makes me think of how much work it will be to get them ALL to where I want them to be and it pretty much turns me off from painting most of the time. I was hoping to find a new company with awesome miniatures and a unique skirmish system to try out. I had noticed Wyrd over the past year or so and thought they had a pretty high quality selection of miniatures with a definitely unique atmosphere to them.

I checked out the forum to see what information I could find out about the new game system in the works, and I have to say from the little information I have read, the card aspect sounds intriguing. I also like the fact that it is still in the creation phase as well. It doesn't force me to rush painting of any models I pick up.

I am already excited at the thought of having no unpainted miniatures with the exception of a couple unpainted faction members at a time. I've got the mentality that I won't buy way faster than I can paint this time around - I want to take the time to make everything I have top notch instead of having a display case full of unpainted metal. The small factions are very appealing so that I will only buy 1 faction at a time and be able to paint them all in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, lots of great looking stuff (very characterful miniatures). I'm debating starting off with the Mad Hatter's group or something else first. I really like the look and style he's got and think he will be a welcome change in style from the minis I've been painting for the past few years. First I really need to figure out a proper gameplan for getting rid of all my old unpainted stuff though, then I can start doing miniatures the way I want that is actually enjoyable for me!

Hello! :hello:

I too got bitten and then burnt by the Rackham bug, but I've decided to hang onto all my figures (most of which were bought half-price when all the retailers were running scared). Hopefully I'll get them all painted up one day! I'm also kind of hoping that they'll be worth something in a few years, now R isn't putting out the kind of quality we were used to. Fortunately, I was never much part of the tourney scene (I'd have had to go to one first!), but while I still have the book and a few armies I can always rope the bf into a game every now and then.

And yes, I fear no nuclear fallout in my lead-lined room! :laugh:

I have to agree that the Wyrd minis are incredibly classy, although at present I only own one (Viktoria). She may be joined by others in the future.

Welcome to the Wyrd! I know it's disappointing when you come to rely on something being a certain way and they turn around and mess with it. I, too, am astonished you've avoided the 'gotta get them all' bug that infects many of us mini enthusiasts. If you've got a pack of the Daikinee Sylphs I could help you lighten your lead pile by buying those from you.

Hi Xenon_Wulf, its definitely nice to see a familiar face on board:)!

I definitely look forward to taking my new buying/painting plan at a reasonable rate. I really want to get everything painted as I buy it so that I can always see a display case full of finished miniatures. After all, they are much more fun to look at like that.

I'm also very interested in the new game and hope I can eventually get 2 small factions painted up so I can get some family and friends to try it out. I'm in no rush though - I think that mentality is what made everything feel like a job in the past.

Just out of curiosity, how is Malifaux pronounced? I've got 3 ideas in my head:

1. "Mal-i-foe"

2. "Mal-i-fox"

3. or dare I say.... "Mal-i-(beep!)"

I really doubt its 3, but I can see it being either 1 or 2.

I really think I'm going to start my painting with Seamus, The Mad Hatter and his Belles so that I'll have a faction done and ready for play, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I really like Rasputina, and read that she was going to be part of a faction with her ice-kitties, and the ice golem. However, I don't want to invest in that until I see that they will officially be a faction and if there will be any other models involved. Hopefully painting Seamus and his gang will keep me occupied long enough that those details will be released by the time I finish painting. I also definitely like Viktoria, the Sword Mistress (she's the first model I noticed from Wyrd and was tempted to buy her back in the day), but I want to make sure I've got 2 solid factions painted before I buy any random models (and I think I want to avoid buying random models too much anyway, thats what got me in over my head with all this extra lead sitting around).

A few questions about Malifaux - how casual will it be? Do you imagine it will be a very fast paced game that you can squeeze in every now and again, or will it be much more involved - something that requires a decent amount of setup and lengthy amount of playtime per game? What about a campaign? I've never really got a chance to fully get into any other tabletop war games, but I've always read that they had campaigns that could be played through. This seems like the sort of thing that would interest me. Something that sort of had an ongoing storyline/progression of scenarios that build up to a final showdown without the REALLY in-depth rules and gameplay of a traditional RPG. Dogs of War comes to mind for me (since I came from Rackham), but I'm sure all sorts of companies do this sort of thing.

Also, I just recently came in and have read lots of stuff saying that playtesting was/is going on for the game. How is all that working out so far? Did it just start recently?

Keep up the great work with everything, and I look forward to making my first order once I get everything settled with all my current stuff.