New Vampire Counts log

Sculpta the squig

I am officially the first man to post non 'Eavy metal skeletons (the new ones) in a painting log on the internet!:D With that in mind here are some pretty skeleton pictures. I am working on the two last members of the command group now, and the Varghulf is near completion.

Test mini:

Skelly1.jpg

Two first completed skellies:

SKELLY2.jpg

Three new skellies:

SKELLY3.jpg

Group shot!

SKELLYRANK1.jpg

Two more skellies.

SKELLY4.jpg

Skelly champion:

SKELLY1CHAMP.jpg

With the publicity I have gotten for these new Vampire counts minis on other forums you'd think GW would start paying me for it:) Oh well, I can dream.

Squig

Yaaay! These ;ook rea;;y coo;. I love the colour scheme you have chosen and also the verdis effect on the metals too. I do love the new undead minis!!!

I have just finished the corpse cart for the Coventry store (and someone has broke it already after lending it for a game! nothing that can't be fixed though!), and that was great fun to work on, and not as complicated as it first seemed, working on the characters next, although these are for my own collection as the store only got sent quite limited samples this release (no sexy new vampires!)

The Varghulf is a gorgeous model and suprisingly quick to paint,You will have a blast working on it!

Varghulf.... quick to paint? Hah! I laugh at you! Personally though I don't really think so. It is taking me aaages, due in part to being really painful to hold (damn spikey bits!:() But you don't want to hear me blathering on do you? No, you want piccies! And here they are :)

Finished skeleton regiment!:D

Skeletonunit1.jpg

Spirit host

Spirithost1.jpg

I'm really happy with both of them, and with any luck my Vampire (Warhammerquest Imperial noble) Will arrive on monday!:D I have started the grave guard and they are much quicker to paint then th skeletons as there is much less bone and not ribcage to have to paint:D Test mini will be up soon.

Enjoy,

Squig

we did our Varghulf in half an hour, and it looks spot on!

The regiment look great all ranked up! My only thing that I feel looks a little iffy is the skull on the banner. With the greatest of respect, it looks like the type of skull a child would draw- have a look through the army book, and even on the skelly models, and skulls have a bit more detail to them (the eyebrow ridge for example). Banners are a focal point of any unit and as such deserve a bit more care and attention. Sorry if I sound harsh (i aint very good with words!), but as it stands I feel it is letting an otherwise fantastic unit down.

Those spirit host rock! I am really not a fan of those miniatures, but the way you have painted and set them on the base really brings the spirity feel out of the sculpts.

Yeah, I know. I don't really like the skull on the banner either, might modify it a wee bit later.

Spirit hosts are as follows (sorry for the confusing writing)

Basecoat Foundation Astronomican gray

Higlight with astronomican gray with more and more skull white (THIN layers, also not too much paint on the brush.)

When you have almost eachd pure white start glazing the bottom of the robes and some of the creases with hawk turquoise (Rule of thumb with glazes; "a wash is paint with a lot of water in it, a glaze is a lot of water with paint in it" Again, not too much on the brush, it should NOT pool)

When you have built up a fairly good colour with the turquoise glaze th very bottom parts with a bit of jade green.

Higlight with pure white (very thinned)

Hope that has been helpfull, there should be a GG up tommorow smile.gif

Squig

My only thing that I feel looks a little iffy is the skull on the banner. With the greatest of respect, it looks like the type of skull a child would draw- have a look through the army book, and even on the skelly models, and skulls have a bit more detail to them (the eyebrow ridge for example). Banners are a focal point of any unit and as such deserve a bit more care and attention. Sorry if I sound harsh (i aint very good with words!), but as it stands I feel it is letting an otherwise fantastic unit down.

Yeah, but do you realize how hard it is for those undead to paint their banners? They got no eyes so they can't see what they're painting, and it must be hard as hell for them to hold their brushs in those bony fingers. It's amazing they can even come up with a banner seeing as they have no brain.

Seriously, all kidding aside, great work on the unit there, always been a fan of the undead (my earliest host was a Grenadier one.) looking forward to seeing it as you add to it, and thanks for sharing.

I've always thought that certain people paint certain models better. Something about how the style fits well with the subject matter.

This is absolute proof of that Squig. Your painting style really lends itself well to these particular minis.

Thats not to say you can't paint whatever you set your brush to, it's just that you have really found your stride with these.

Well done! Are you sure you are only 13?

• 3 weeks later...