It's snowing

Hinton

Okay, so it's probably already snowed for some of you, but here in Nebraska it's the first snowfall of the season and it's actually accumulating.

Took a couple of pics from the top of the stairs that lead up to my apartment:

snow6qx0.jpg

Kind of a funny thing (to me anyway): At the newspaper I work at, we run a special section the day after we have a measurable snowfall (like today). The problem is that we don't have a paper on Thanksgiving (tomorrow). :D

About 6 years ago it snowed like hell on New Years Eve over here... Being in a big city that's very busy it's rare Snow gets to settle to anything like snow generally slush.. Anyways the quiet roads from the new year and the fact everyone was in bars and clubs meant the whole city effectively got cut completely off by about 3-4ft in a matter of hours...

Drink and snow are a wonderful combination the queues in The Casualty lasted 2 days..

• 2 weeks later...

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

Here's a picture I took from my office window this morning, just after 9AM. The snow is falling in it but it's kinda hard to see except near the tree on the right. I got to find out the ABS and ESC systems work in my car (I got a newer car a couple of months ago and it's the first I've ever owned one that has ABS).

snow120507-9AM.jpg

This is my area's first significant snowfall this winter.

:snow:

We already had snow, but now it's just warm again and all are waiting for the first real snow here.

Weather dudes say, we are gonna have a hrd cold winter... hope so! :)

2 years ago we had snow of about 1- 1,50 meters here - in one night! The had to pile it up at the central squre as they wouldn't know where else to put it.

I - WANT - SNOW!

I - WANT - SNOW!

I so miss snow ... not the issues and trouble of having it, but I miss it. Doesn't feel like X-mas without it.

I know what you mean FF. Mostly I'm just as happy not to have much snow - no shovelling, no slipping, no depressing gray slush, and no scary road incidents. (Well, lack of snow doesn't remove all the bad driving around here by any means!) But that moment where it's fresh snow and still falling, all silent and white and beautiful - I miss that sometimes. We usually get one or three days where it looks almost like in that photo, and that's just about good enough for me. So I can go back to being the Canadian laughing at all the putzes back home in the cold and snow. ;->

I know that ABS is Anti-lock Braking System, but what's ESC?

ESC = Electronic Stability Control

ESC compares the driver's intended direction (by measuring steering angle) to the vehicle's actual direction (by measuring lateral acceleration, rotation (yaw) and individual wheel speeds). If the vehicle is not going where the driver is steering, ESC then brakes individual front or rear wheels and/or reduces excess engine power as needed to help correct understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing).

After the article I feel much better in having it, especially in this weather.

Still snowing like the dickens, I'll be taking another pic soon.

*EDIT*

Next picture, taken around 11:30 AM

snow120507-11AM.jpg

Whee! Wish I had a hill and a sled nearby...

Awesome, I just talked to My sister in Alaska they don't even have that kind of snow, and here at the Oregon/Washington border it just rains and rains, although Saturday it tried to snow, but Mother Nature decided that all the snowflakes were just kamikaze rain drops that were anxious to get out.

I sooooo miss snow (It just better snow in Alaska before i get there for christmas, or there will be Hell Toupee´!!!)