Question to past IP champs

Lordfishbane

Ok, I thought I had an good idea of what I wanted to do after the theme was anounced.

After looking at the WIP, I started getting ideas for other ways to try and pull it off. None of them reflect really what I saw there, but it just seemed to get the rocks rolling around in me noggin. So my question to the past champs is-

Once you have an idea do you stick with it til the bitter end, or dump the project and start fresh?

Im not going to dump my idea, I still like the idea and love the fig. Just wondering "What would an IP master do?"

The last IP champion speaking here ;)

I have done both in the last IP.

I have stuck with ideas I had if they still appealed to me. And I have to admit those are the ones I enjoyed doing the most and i still find being the best ones. Also due to having just 2 weeks and starting over not always being an option. But 2 of the rounds i did change the whole thing. The paint it black one changed, didn't like where the first one was going. I eneterd that second idea. The sheer effect changed but I ended up finishing my first idea afterall for it due to time running out.

And all rounds had me thinking up multiple options and just starting one depending on what I had available miniature wise or what I could get.

Somnetimes an idea just looses it's appeal quick or is going nowhere. If it's still in the early stage I'd say abandon it and try something new if it's not a bit time loss yet. Forcefully continueing on an entry you are not enthousiastic about anymore becomes a chore... and that reflects often in the endresult. Atleast it works like that for me.

The sheer effect had 1 fully finished and a 80% finished entry in 2 weeks for me in the end. That's why that entries base was pretty crappy. Ran out of time. Good thing I had 2 free days that perios or I wouldn't have been able to do that.

Remember: Say NO to DNF no matter what ;)

I'm a slower painter than many others seem to be (Jubilee will have half of hers auctioned off Ebay before the judging even starts most rounds ;->), so I pretty much stick with an idea once I have one I like. There were some rounds where it took me a few days to settle on an idea, though. The last round of the IP I won was agony choosing an idea, the theme was something funny and I had a 2-3 ideas and couldn't decide which was the funniest, if any. Finally selected by picking the idea that focused on something I hadn't done before.

I tend to let things percolate in my head till I'm happy with an idea, then I run with it all the way. Suffice to say I havent actually started painting this round's figure yet. If you're not happy with how the idea is turning out, personally I'd scrap it and go for another, but if it's just a matter of trying something else cooler, I'm not sure it's worth it time wise as the more time you put into the paint the better overall it's going to be. (Up to a the limits of your skill of course.)