Painting over pre-painted miniatures

Travis Syxx

I am going to be buying some models from the AT-43 line very soon. The paints jobs are great given that they are pre-painted. Some of the figures occasionally still need to be touched up. I was also thinking about playing with some different color schemes for different factions as well. I am looking for any suggestions that you guys have on how to get the best out of what I am planning on doing. I want the touch up to look as though it was never done. I just want the figures to look complete. Thanks in advance. Travis

I repainted an AT-43 model for a friend. It was a Tiamat, and I did it for free just because I liked the model but thought that it would look better all glowy and green.

I had to take it apart, clean up the mold lines, reassemble it, and then I spray undercoated it with White Duplicolor sandable primer. The primer did a good job of sticking to the paint.

I think that anything that would take the paint off reliably would melt the vinyl, which is not very durable stuff in the first place.

Larkin, did you put down any kind of primer?

No primer at all. I just went right them and touched them up.

Being that they are plastic, I would recommend caution when stripping them, as most of the stuff that i know of that can be used for stripping would also be bad for the plastic and cause the figure to become deformed.

I don't think stripping them is necessary. The paints on them are really thin. Well for the Red Blok and UNA. I think Atis and Tiamat is an exception as it seems she has a gloss coat on her.

their pre-painting really doesn't look like it's prohibitively think, so I don't see why you couldn't just dive right in like Larkin suggests. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Yep. And besides I'm only going to dedicate more time to my hero models. All my trooper models will just have minor touch ups as I did in those pictures.

Indeed, and that's the point with the AT-43 minis - you don't need to strip them, as their existing paintjob is really thin. It's so thin, in fact, that it acts like a basecoat - just jump right in and paint over it.

Agreed. I haven't painted a hero yet so we'll see if I do major touch ups or if I have to prime it.

• 1 month later...