WiP for GDUK

EldinTux

This is my WiP for the GDUK. Feedback & critique welcome.

dragonoger.jpg

Just so that you know I am going to be adding some tiger stripes to the body - once I'm happy with the colours. Then stick it on a snow base - I learnt my lesson with the TT comp.

I would be interested in some ideas for the banner.

Looks great so far- I agree with Nathan however, a Jungle base would work better than snow with the tiger stripes.

As far as the banner goes- is there any artwork in the GW chaos army books you feel brave enough to duplicate? and remember, both sides of the banner need painting well for GD.

Good luck with it, shaping up niceley, and hope to meet you there!

OK, listening to Orky & FF I'm considering changing the base to a more tropical theme. I still want the Fragon Ogre on top of a cliff but I need to know the answer to a serious question. I went onto the GW site and they've left me more confused than ever.

I would like to up the size of base from 40mm to 50mm, is my figure still legal in the Monster Category?

I have been flicking throught the Golden demon winners booklets A LOT recently trying to draw inspiration for my entries this year. I wouldn't worry too much about base size with monsters- many people scratch build huge monstrosities that just won't fit on a 40 or 50mm base, and have still won demons.Last year my giant was mounted on a decent sized piece of slate much bigger than the base supplied with the giant and still got through to the final round of judging. I am mounting my ogre on a 50mm one this year as the 40mm base supplied just feels too small.

I would be incredibly suprised if they disqualified it for 10mm.

Cut and paste straight off the Games workshop website.....

CATEGORY 7 - WARHAMMER MONSTER

This category is open to all Warhammer monsters on 40mm and 50mm square bases and the really large monster models that are not normally supplied with a base or are simply too big for one! This covers Dragons, chariots, war machines and all large ridden monsters (eg, an Orc Warlord on War Wyvern). Models should be mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base. Models on large scenic bases should be entered in the Diorama category instead.

So I would say no problems!! Just above this text they have a photo of Steve Buddles Fantastic Ogre maneater on a 50mm base too.

I would always just stick to the rules regarding base sizes. Its stupid to hope that a larger base wont get it moved into a different category, you only need an anal retentive judge. Someone like me if I was judging something. :)

Just make a display base with your 50mm one fitting into it.

Looking good.

Snow base would look good, I just look at it from the idea of having tiger stripes, sort of fits in with its surroundings you know. For instance, you last one, with it blending into everything in the desert, was actually quite nice and what it would likely 'be' in a real setting as most things don't make themselves standout if they can help it.

That being said, aren't these things from Chaos Frozen Wastes or something like that? Would fit the fluff.

It's about appropriately sized bases. They don't worry much if your figure is on a gaming base. The major thing to consider is if the base is obviously too large for the figure. I'd say putting a 50mm base on a Dragon Ogre would be appropriate but using one on a regular infantry fig in a single fig category would be OTT.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure you would rather honest feedback than friendly backslapping, and my thoughts are ditch that hammer- its really REALLY letting down an otherwise loveley mini.

I have a few of the GW giant clubs in my bits box - one with the dragon skull head and another one where a load of swords and axes have been pushed through to make the club head, and I feel both would do your piece justice more than the hammer. Honestly, It reminds me of Timmy Mallett on Whackaday, and that really isn't a good look for a dragon ogre!

Either send me a PM or drop me an e-mail to orkydave@ntlworld.com with your address and I will get the dragon clubs in the post first thing monday for you if you would like.. I also have a load of spare ogre clubs and Irongut swords that could work really well, I will pop them in too.

Sorry if I come across like a total B******D with this reply, but I am sure you would prefer honesty. I think it would be a real shame to see this piece suffer and be let down by the weapon choice.

You know here negative comments is never easy but I appreciate it cos I couldn't see the problem before. Someone on another forum has also pointed out that the haft is too thick compared to the wrappings. The only reason I went with the stone head was because of the tribal/primitive feel I was trying to give him. Let me think about it for a day or two.

@Orky - would one of the weapons your proposing fit with the existing wrappings? Or would that need some work too?