Argus "The necromancer" Dargan bust

cdukino

Hi all,

I finished a little putty pushing project I did just for me. My first bust in greenstuff. Not intended for sale or even casting as it will stay an one off (I want it to be that). I plan to paint the green. The total hight of it is 18 mm (so around 80 mm scale figure size if it were a full figure).

The figure is slighly more stylistic than natural. That was done on purpose. It is a long term RPG character of mine named Argus Theralus Dargan, I drew a fair few times. So I wanted to match the drawingstyle a bit as that had become the image I had of the guy instead of going very natural and lifelike.

The character is a boney/stringy necromancer by the way so the skinny look is intentional.

argus-bust.jpg

I origionally planned this for my resin line. As busts are hard to make money from. And i don't feel like going to all the trouble of getting it cast, putting in money and a lot of time getting it done and dealing with possible sales to just play even moneywise. Resin homecasting would have taken away this obstacle. Unfortunatly my being alergic to resin spoiled that bigtime. But I still wanted to make this bust of Argus. And i will make more (not Argu but busts). I might even have some cast in the future... but that's not a promise. I do definalty enjoy making busts though as for me the most intresting part of a figure, be it drawing, sculpting or painting has always been the head.

Nice one Cindy! You've made great progress.

I guess the eyes going back like that are part of the stylized character you mention. I think it works well even if some would argue with that (anatomically speaking).

I think he has more of a "Pan" feel than necromancer to him, but overall, I like the character you worked into his face.

The eyes were a bit bigger on purpose (for painting... the eyes will appear smaller after painting), but a bit more then initially planned (the going back of the eyes is mainly anatomy problems and still learning). But I was happy with the likeness so i decided to leave it and not try to change it for fear of ruining it. In future busts I do plan a more natural look for the eyes.

Argus drawing:

Argusfight.jpg

portretArgusklein.jpg

As for the Pan look. A goaty tends to do that. But I didn't want to add cliche skulls and all that just to get the point across. The RPG character himself doesn't run around advertising he's a necromancer either. My fellow RPG-ers didn't find out he was untill he at one point resurrected a corpse to have it walk out by itself instead of them dragging it with all the trouble involved. And they already had been playing with him for a while. I like springing suprices on my fellow players.

phew... sigh of relieve. that was the exact look I was going for and the reason i didn't dare change the eyes. The sneaky cocky look is pretty typical for the character

As for more detail. For commercially available bust I would have definatly have added a lot more painters intrest with more details, different materials and all that instead of just skin and hair. But seeing this as a one off and i wanted ot to be as close to the character as possible in my eyes... i kept it plain as the character is most of the time. I only kept one painter in mind for this one... me. He is also gonna be very pale/unhealthy looking with white hair... so he might not be the most visually attractive bust.. But like I said that wasn't the point... It was getting the character from out of my head in 3d and reconise him as Argus from all viewpoints... if that makes sence. And I succeeded in that. The fun thing of being to sculpt and paint yourself :) And on top of that i learned a lot doing it.

I will keep you guys posted. or rather i will post him here once painted. I plan to paint him at the same time as a little something I am doing for Nathan and depending wether i survive round 1 of the IP other painting. This bust should be relatively fast to paint though compared to the other things in the pipeline.

Guest Eastern Front Studios

ahh Argus I remember this guy... cool you decided to take him to green..now to get you to do one of the full character in 28-32mm ;)..no bunnies on the base though. on the home casting you might want to do a search of other brands thats more user friendly..the guy doing ours says theres some thats down right mean and very caustic even ones they promote as home types..and well ventilated is the word..like a garage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's completely greenstuff. But then again the bust is only 18mm tall so thats not that much greenstuf actually. I used to bulk things out with less costly materials (miliput/greenstuff mix or greenstuff that's less good (the middle part in the strip where the 2 colours touch and such). But now i can't be bothered really, especiialy if the fig isn't very bulky to start with..

The base colour for the hair was Kommando Khaki. But it got a bit more yellow and reddish in the picture which could give the fleshy colour look. But there isn't a flesh colour really. Argus looks a bit more healthy tanned in the pictures then in real life. But i didn't do the skin very light all over as would be natural as he;s very pale. Instead I went with a greyish skintone with a lot of contrast to hopefully make it a bit more visually attractive and still keep the unhealthy look. Works a bit better in real life then on the picture.