My miniatures

Hinton

I've introduced myself and several people have asked me to show my minis, so here they are; all three of them:

This is my very first mini ever:

Ragnor, Barbarian

allinoneom8.jpg

#2: Tyden, Female Barbarian

tydenrw4.jpg

#3: Tsuko, Male Monk

tsukoks0.jpg

That's all I have for right now. At the moment, I'm working on Laurana the Sorceress. I'll post pics when I'm finished.

Hey, I recognise the third one! You've posted it on CMON, haven't you? I didn't recognise your user name. Have you another name on CMON?

I can see some good progress in those three photos. One thing I would start experimenting with, if I were you, is colour washes over the metallics to give them some depth. Start by using black or dark brown and apply very thin washes over your metallics. Then, touch up the metallics again with the metallic paint. Repeat the process a couple of times.

Wow! My work's been recogonized! :dancing2:

Ritual: Yeah, that's me over at CMON. In fact, I'm registered as Hinton on every miniature forum that I belong to. So, chances are that I'm the only Hinton out there (I hope). Thanks for the tips. One reason I really like all of these forums is because everyone's so helpful. No matter if they're seasoned professionals or just enthusiasts like me, people are friendly and always provide constructive criticism in a very polite way.

gi6ers: Thanks! I'm always a little hesitant to post my stuff because I'm so new to this, but I quickly learned how helpful people were. I've learned more from people commenting on my work than I have from reading tutorials. At least, I hope I'm learning something. :)

Looks good. You sure paint your miniatures quite neat and tidy and that probably is the hardest bit in the beginning (staying 'within the lines').

I agree with Ritual that some washes will really help out and bring more depth and life to the miniatures. You can either use inks or regular paint for washes. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Some important points for washes:

-> It is better to start with a wash that is too thin rather than too thick. Too much paint and your paintjob below the wash might be ruined. It is better to take your time and slowly build up the color in several stages. If you don't want to wait for the paint to dry, use a hair dryer to speed it up (shut up John/Maestro :D)

-> Use a bit of glazing medium or detergent/washing up liquid to break the superirritating water surface tension. If you don't do this, the wash tends to settle in puddles with a lot of pigment and you don't want that.

And after washing you can do highlights, but that can be explained once you tried the washing thing (no, not on you! On your miniatures! :D)

Like the others have said, for being a beginner, you're off to a very solid start. I hear reading the articles over at CMON is very helpful, although it's something I still have to take the time to do (I'm waiting for the movie to come out, I think). Don't forget to post WIP shots there or here for pointers. We're usually a friendly bunch, despite some good-natured smack talk every now and then.

In fact, I'm registered as Hinton on every miniature forum that I belong to. So, chances are that I'm the only Hinton out there (I hope).

Your name may be "Hinton", but because of your avatar, I'll always think of you as "Mama's Boy Jayne" ;)

Welcome to Wyrd!

Something I noticed right off were the eyes, you've done a pretty good job on them, have them looking the same way, not all google eyed or pin eyed and pretty much eclipse my attempts early one.

Listen to the seasoned ones around here about the inks or washes (inks dry a bit shiny though IMO) and then give it a shot with your shadows and highlights (personally I start at the darkest color and then work up with the highlights, but I know others do it differently).

Hrmmm .. maybe it is time for another paint class around here soon .. any volunteers?