Parkinson #3 Box Set - AKA why my Iron Painter Mini Sucked (NSF).

Jubilee

Hey everyone - thought I'd share the pictures of this commission I've been slaving over that prevented me from working on my iron painter miniature until Saturday morning. These miniatures have given me nothing but trouble and stress for the past month. This is the first commission i've done with a hard dead line - I needed to get them to someone by September 27th so they could ship to Germany in time for Miniatureland to take them to DUZI in October. I thought a month and a half would be MORE than enough time to finish it, but due to a variety of disasters (including paint drying funny and forcing me to strip the miniature, hard to find mold lines that forced stripping and reprimering, and eyes that are, if you can believe it, smaller than Tom Meier's usual. Most of the models I had to strip and repaint at least twice to get the eyes right)

There are nudie pictures in the bunch, just to warn those of you with sensitive eyes.. :)

parkinson3jinsu1.jpgparkinson3dancer1.jpg

parkinson3summoner1.jpgparkinson3amazon2.jpg

parkinson3nymph3.jpgparkinson3owlwoman1.jpg

I am really embaressed to admit that I forgot to paint the bracelet on the dancer and I didn't notice it in the picture until after I had already dropped the miniatures off at the post office to ship them =(. If you're interested in seeing more angles of any of them, click on the banner in my signature and it'll take you to my webpage =)

/ali

ps. Somehow I've lost all the buttons for attaching images, links, etc.. How did I manage it?

Very nice work Ali!

Your Iron Painter didn't suck, just missed the mark a touch, but not a biggie.

Stripping twice on everything .. whoobooy ... would have been a 'sorry can't finish commission for me'.

As for your buttons, they should be there. Its the little yellow button there to add images in the message box there. Here in the quick reply (which I'm using) or in the advanced reply which you can move into. If they aren't showing up, let me know and I'll go look at your settings to see if something has changed.

Good painting girl :) Especially like the skin tones on miss booby (my favorite figure from the set)... but they all look good. And no fault of yours... I still think the shopped up bunny with the first girl looks silly... but that's a design thing. They are going to Duzi you say? Cool... Me to so I'll check them out in the flesh.

I don't really like the chopped up bunny, either - it is so silly as to make suspension of disbelief impossible. OTOH, I think the things on her right hip are bunny ears or lucky rabit's foots, at least, I painted them that way, so it helps explain why the rabbit is there. If the customer had not requested they be mounted on their original bases (since they are to show off the product he's trying to sell at shows!), I had to leave it. When I paint this one for myself, I will be taking the bunny off or attaching her to a custom bae.

Hello everybody, I'm new here and need to excuse for my english because I'm german. I would like to say something about that very hard paintjobs Alison had done. At the moment I'm painting the Summoner Variant for the DUZI 2006. It's a comission for the same customer Alison is painting for.

Hi Alison, I really can feel with you. That sculpt is REALLY the hardest one I ever painted and it's like hell to paint it. I also had to strip her off, one time until now. That's my second and last trial because the deadline is the 2nd October. The brush tip of 10/0 brush is as big as one whole eye of that sculpt so I need to paint her with elder 10/0 brushes where just a few hairs left,lol. My god!

So I must say congratulations that you mastered that very difficult small and filigree sculpts. You can be very proud of your work. Your Summoner is amazing. I also like all the others a lot. I guess you will need some vacations now, when I just paint two hours on that Summoner I already feel totally wasted because it is so hard to paint it.

Cheers Vhaidra

Cool stuff. I really like that you used some interesting colors I hardly use (purple, the sea green). Makes for an interesting pallete. I also like the muted and natural look of the painting...really fits the models.

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the blood on the rabbit (way too red and lacks depth). I actually like the idea behind the chopped bunny. Gave me a 'Doom' moment :)

Hello everybody, I'm new here and need to excuse for my english because I'm german. I would like to say something about that very hard paintjobs Alison had done. At the moment I'm painting the Summoner Variant for the DUZI 2006. It's a comission for the same customer Alison is painting for.

Hi Alison, I really can feel with you. That sculpt is REALLY the hardest one I ever painted and it's like hell to paint it. I also had to strip her off, one time until now. That's my second and last trial because the deadline is the 2nd October. The brush tip of 10/0 brush is as big as one whole eye of that sculpt so I need to paint her with elder 10/0 brushes where just a few hairs left,lol. My god!

So I must say congratulations that you mastered that very difficult small and filigree sculpts. You can be very proud of your work. Your Summoner is amazing. I also like all the others a lot. I guess you will need some vacations now, when I just paint two hours on that Summoner I already feel totally wasted because it is so hard to paint it.

Cheers Vhaidra

Thanks, Vhaidra! I hope you get yours done in time! I don't know how you paint eyes, but my normal method is to paint the white, dot the eye, and then line it - however, with these I eventually discovered if I did it the other way around, it worked a little bit better. One of the big challenges is, I think, that Tom sculpted eyelids around the eyes, so there's an ever so slight cleft, which means you really have to get the brush at exactly the right angle to hit the eye and not the eyelid. I couldn't lightly tap the tip of my brush across the eye because the lid would catch the paint =(.

OTOH, with both summoners you can sorta get away with not fully painting the eyes - when she's put together, she'll be looking down and you can only see her eyes if you turn her upsidedown and peer at her from an angle. All you need is a little white in each out-side corner, I think - at least, that's all you can see of my paintstaking work with eyes on both the regular summoner and varient summoner I've done so far!

Best of luck with your summoner - I hope you get her done in time. I'd love to see pictures when you're finished!

/ali

Hi Alison, do you want something to laugh about? Today evening I had to strip off her face again and then she got off the base and fell into the wet black paint on my palette. LOl. Fortunatly just one knee is black now. When I tried to glue her again on the base I had to realize that it doesn't work anymore because I first have to remove the old glue (her feet doesn't touch the ground yet). I've already told it to wren, if I wouldn't try to laugh about that madness I would sit down in a corner with a maniac smile on my face soon, lol.

If you would give me your email adress I could send you pictures of my first trial. You won't believe it but I really got it to paint her eyes. Real eyes. But that's the past, now I have to try it again. For today I put her away, because that was too much. I had to write you, because I nearly got a heart attack when I heard that you had to paint the whole set.

I tried to imagine what you had to go through. Respect.

I'm really not sure about if I will master this challenge but I'm still not at the end. I've got time until next Monday. Thanks for trying to encourage me.

Cheers Vhaidra

Heya Vhaidra, good to see you here. Good luck with your paintings. :heeeellll

Welcome to the Wyrd Vhaidra!

If you have a moment, show off your versions of these, I'm curious now.

Hello Frustrated Father,

the Summoner Variant I do paint at the moment isn't finished but when it will be I will try to post some pictures here too. I'm not sure if I will get, because of my english. I will ask somebody to help me.

Cheers Vhaidra

Many thanks for feedback to everybody. I'm not soooo enthusiastic about her, because I know her flaws. I had could need a day in addition to paint her the way I want her, but there was no time left. I guess I really don't like to paint with a hard dead line, that's really horrible. But neverthless it was really a good experiance because my painting NOW is getting better because of the precision that Summoner Variant has needed. I mean if I paint a Reaper model now, the face seem to me as big as a football pitch, lol. Yeah that's true. I'm getting faster and more precise because of that practise at the Summoner.

By the way, Alison, I had to strip off her face for 4 times until it looks like now. I was very close to take a hammer and beat on that mini until it is nothing but dust,lol. Fortunatly I didn't.