WIP Iron Painter II entry

Malebolgia

Hi all,

To keep me motivated and going I started this thread where I will post all updates with my Iron Painter II entry (I will also upload them in the gallery).

As soon as I saw the theme (weathering) I knew the model...the WARMACHINE Khador Devastator. To explain why, I will first explain the model to the people who don't know a thing about the game.

The Devastator is one of the heaviest warjacks built in the Iron Kingdoms. It is made in such a fashion that it can hardly be hurt until it is ready to deliver its payload. The huge shields can be place in front of its (softer and more important) body so several inches of hard steel will prevent ballistics from coming through. Slowly it will rumble forwards into the enemy lines (bulldozing infantry together into a herd) and then lower its shields for its devastating attack...the rain of death...Around its shoulders are 4 grenade launchers on both sides that will fire simultaneously in a 360 degree arc. The following unslaught will kill almost all infantry close by and will severely cripple warjacks. The only problem is that its armour value will drop enormously and it is vulnerable to attacks. To see pictures of both the closed and the open Devastator (painted by Privateer Press), follow the link below:

http://privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/miniature_pages/previews/khador_devastator_preview.html

I really like the Devastator in the game...it is one of my favorites. Although most of the times it gets destroyed after it has done the 'rain of death', the enormous fear-factor it brings on the table is fantastic (where will it go...? When will it open...?). And once it opens up it destroys a lot.

It is even more fun with the "Butcher of Khardov". The Butcher's feat (an ability a warcaster can perform once per battle) gives bonus on damage rolls during one turn. The effect of the Butcher's feat with the 'rain of death' is comparable to dropping a nuclear bomb on a piggy farm. Therefore I use the Devastator mostly with the Butcher.

In the game Warjacks tend to become a bit like their warcaster after time. This means that they will behave in a similar fasion and will fight in a similar way. I wanted this with my Devastator...

The first thing that needed to happen was to make the Devastator MUCH MORE dynamic. The regular version is extremely dull and uninspiring. Fortunately I had a Spriggan lying about (another Khador warjack that is posed in a running pose). Perfect!

Second, I needed to reshape the arms. I wanted the Devastator to look like it is plowing through enemy lines after it has done the 'Rain of Death' and the Butcher did his feat. The regular pegs that came with the Devastator were useless, so I had to make my own. In addition, I chose to position the arms on different positions on the ball bearings. The original holes for the arms were filled up with Green Stuff what I then sculpted to look like big screws. Easy peasy!

The positions of the arms were determined and then I drilled ~2.5mm holes. In the hole I placed a 1.5mm brass wire and two 1mm brass wires. These were then connected to the arms (in which I had also drilled holes). I then needed to sculpt metal rims where the arms went into the frame and arm shields...and that would be difficult! After some trial and error I did it and I am happy with the result. One part was done with the new Procreate which I ADORE. I'm not very handy with Green stuff and Procreate works like a charm for me. Last conversion was the head. I filed one part away so that it was looking sideways.

Glueing everything together, I had one very cool warjack that looked like it was charging forwards and punching and brawling like a madman.

Last thing to do was to add battle damage. Fortunately for me my Khador models involve a lot of battle damage as I see the Khador faction as a very practical faction that mainly see to it that everything works. A couple of bullet marks, slashes and dents are no problem and don't need to be fixed or repainted. That takes time and costs money and is therefore a waste!

I took my trusty electrical drill and drilled a lot of holes in the 'outer shell'. I did this on the frontside of the model and on the outside as this would be the side that would be shot. The rear and the legs are intact and have no damage as this would be shielded from attacks. After I drilled the holes, I gauged them with my hobby knife to make them look like bullet holes. I also cut the metal here and there with my hacksaw to simulate sword or axe dents.

Finally I battered and hacked and sawed in the front ends of the arm shields...the Devastator would punch and bash with these sides and thus they will take a lot of damage.

For the base I added pieces of plastic to simulate shrapnel and I also added a head and a hand (blown away after the 'rain of death').

Here is a picture from the front:

devastator1.jpg

And one picture from the top:

devastator2.jpg

Weathering

For weathering I will use a lot of Tamiya Clear Orange, Dark Flesh and Orange for rust spots. The Devastator should look like it has been in the field for a while and has been badly maintained. All 'oozing rust' will be done with the original closed model in my head (which you can see in the PP link). To me, that is the 'resting pose' in which it is kept between battles (and where the rust will drip down).

Next to rust I will add a LOT of battle damage (as you can see in the pictures) and some gore here and there (heck, it is right in the middle of the enemy lines after a frigging grenade launcher attack :D). And finally his legs will be covered with mud. The engine will also be covered in soot and maybe some oil.

And now...

Tomorrow morning I will prime him with my Chaos Black spray and maybe start some painting. Expect updates within the next days!

Here is the first update!

I painted the legs, pistons and other stuff of the lower half. It only needs the weathering now!

I will weather the metal a bit more with Beasty Brown and Charred Brown (now it is Tamiya Clear Orange + black) and weather the green and red parts. The rivets are sloppy now beacuse they will gain some rust too. Finally some mud, and the lower half is finished. Then the base and finally the upper half!

legs1.jpg

legs2.jpg

Being 'not that good' at taking pictures of mini's at the best of times, this model is even harder to photograph now!

So, this crappy pic'll just have to do for you!

PICT0102.jpg

The armour parts need 1 more highlight, then the weathering on them can begin..

The head and weapon are still showing the undercoat; Black with a light spray of White over that..

John T

Update Schnupdate!

So I finished the legs today. What did I do?

-Added some extra weathering to the metallics (with Charred Brown, Dark Flesh and Dark Flesh + Fiery Orange)

-Weathered the green areas with the same mix as above (and also did some very translucent stripes to get a brittle/cracking look that is barely visible)

-Weathered the red areas with some small damage marks.

-Painted the base (painted the grenade shrapnel parts and the 2 body parts, thus explaining the blood around them).

I REALLY, REALLY doubted about adding mud to the model, But I though it would be too much and too busy. I don't wat to ruin all the work I've done. So no mud it was!

The body parts were great fun to do...they involved some Tamiya Clear Red and some directional splattering (not too much to spoil the painting).

The weathering was also 'kept in check'. I didn't want to cover too much of the painting and the model doesn't need to look like a total Scrapheap Challenge construct, so I weathered it a lot but didn't go overboard with it. I'm very happy with the results.

The only thing that needs to be added is some dried grass, but I will do that after varnishing.

dev_legs1.jpg

(the connecting peg at the top looks really sloppy, but that will be covered as it sinks into his body)

dev_legs4.jpg

dev_legs2.jpg

dev_legs3.jpg