Xmen 3 - contains spoilers

I have been waiting for this movie for a very long time and first thing we did this morning when we got up was to get ready to head to the theaters and settle in for the flick. Have to say I was just a touch disapointed.

About two hours, though honestly, I think it should have either been given another hour or so to work things out, or as my wife said, made in two movies and given some more time to let things develop.

Lots of mutants in it, though only a few got any decent coverage, and I find myself wondering who a few of them were. They changed directors on this one apparently and it shows. Bad editing, cut scenes came too quickly and frankly seems like a bit of a knock off of the other two. You can completely tell, in my opinion, that someone different made this one than the first two as it doesn't all flow well - just sort of ... jumps.

Lots of cool stuff in there though, interesting mutants, and some neat scenes, even if they did come and go without any supporting story. Cyclops died inside of three minutes of the movie starting - good - thought he was whining little twit anyhow, but I still spent half the movie wondering if he was alive. Killed Professor X inside of 10 minutes into the movie, that surprised the heck out of me, and was interesting, but again, it was done and over quickly. Angel really had no use in the movie other than to show off CGI and to catch a fella at the end of the movie. Oh, and that chick that did the soundwave things ... I didn't know was a woman and still questioned it for some time after the wife told me it was.

Character development was lacking sadly, and 'main' characters were completely gone, no reason or explanation. I did like Beast, he was neat, but Collosus got maybe two lines and about as much face time though he apparently was a main team member, along with Shadowcat.

Overall - meh.

I'm told I missed a clip at the end of the movie though. Anyone have a clue? Had to take the boy to the restroom and didn't get to see it.

I pretty much agree, they spent the first half of the movie it seemed doing pointlessly long shorts of people looking confused, distressed, angry with dramatic music in the background, and then seemed to figure that would substitute for character development. What little they did develop, was generally stupidly generic (like pyro suddenly becoming this bloodthirsty evil murderer)

Scenes were edited together strangely and abruptly with characters seeming to jump from one place in the country to another at will. And also they add extended scenes that have little or no meening to this plot and are never expanded upon (Iceman and Kitty icescating?!). I think done properly the movie definately could have been done well in 2 hours, but both the screenplay and editing really were piss poor.

Then add the fact that they either killed or "cured" some of the most interesting mutants around (X, mystique, magnito, etc...) was also sort of lame to watch, and I only hope they figure a way to write some of them back in because without many of them, future movies are going to be crap.

Anyway, I can't say I wasn't entertained, but I would say it's by far the worst of the 3 xmen movies. It wasn't as bad as Batman 3 was to that series (which was horrid), more in line with how bad Alien 3 was to the alien series (which was bareable)

quote from another forum :

"about cyclop:

Never in all the films does he come off as a masterful tactician, never once does is he shown as formidable in nearly any way at all, never once does he rally all the X-Men in their moment of desparation, and never once does he display the willingness to make the all important sacrifices he doesn't ask anyone else to do.

This is somewhat of a rant. But honestly... Cyke was universally butchered more than just about any hero I've ever scene on film.

Heck, Wolverine having Jean as the "love of his life" is silly beyond words too... they met and knew each other for the better part of a few days tops (in the first movie)... then he left and came back... and then met again for all of a day before she died. Then she came back... and he saw her for less then a sum of a day before he killed her. That's their entire movie relationship. Even if you could mark Wolverine as having a primal, love-at-first-sight type mentality... that wouldn't explain Storm's comments. I mean jeez... I've spent more time with toll booth guy then he did with Jean. Seriously, all of his comments about Jean still being in there... how would he know... he barely knows the chick and they certainly never spent any personal time together"

quote from another forum :

Seriously, all of his comments about Jean still being in there... how would he know... he barely knows the chick and they certainly never spent any personal time together"

Well she did have the irritating ability to whisper in to someones ear telepatically "I'm still here" ;).

The movie was ok, nothing great and won't linger in my mind. I agree with pretty close to anything said above. Some more character building and story flow would be nice as now I didn't actually give a crap about any of the characters as I wasn't pulled into the movie by good storytelling and getting personal views on the characters to actually be invited to give a crap. But some of the effects were rather cool though. I liked Jean/Phoenix's

This movie left a bit the same tast in my mouth as the last Harry Potter movie had for the same reasons. I really wante to see both of them but didn't came out of the cinema remotely impressed. Still had fun at both.

a lot of similarities with Harry Potter 4 I think. In terms of shortcomings. Both have serious editing issues, some scenes/shots far too long, while other connecting scenes edited completely out. Both added a lot of new characters with little to no development of those characters, and even main characters don't seem to develop much in the film.

but like Cindy, I did enjoy both, and can't really blame the actors or plot of the story, but rather seems like poor directors/editing.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread...but I have just watched the movie.

I ignored this post the first time around, because I wanted to have my own impressions.

Honestly, I liked the movie quite a bit. I was a bit shocked how they killed off some major characters, but I applaud the fact that they took it that far. It added real danger to the characters from the Dark Phoenix. It also help justify why Wolverine had to kill her to stop her.

Some counterpoints from your above comments...

The Iceman-Kitty skatefest didn't seem extraneous to me at all. It helped firm up Rogue's plan of getting herself cured.

The Wolverine-Jean romance...I got the impression from the movies that they were together for quite a while. I didn't think the movie was in 'real time'. They could have had all kinds of time together between the 1st and 2nd movie.

I loved the typical comic book ending of Magneto moving the metallic chess piece. Maybe the 'cure' fades after time....Also Professor X's 'return' was a neat surprise after the credits.

In all, I think it made a solid final chapter to the movie run of the X-men. Actually, I have always been a comic book fan, but never too keen on the X-men, and the movies are what changed my mind about that.

I'd say taken as a whole, the X-men movie series has been the best comic book series I've seen.