ReaperCon Entry

Skya

Did this piece up for ReaperCon. She only took and honorable mention (I hate honorable mention, it's like getting a pat on the head. :rocketwho ) but that's ok, I was really pleased with her and she's eventually going to end up in a much larger diorama on a different base.

R-Hyrekia.jpg

Don't think the sculpt helps TBH.....Looks like a Klocke but not a good one.

It's definately a Klocke, one I'm personally rather fond of, but we each have our own tastes. I guarantee it wasnt a drawback at ReaperCon as she's one of their more popular sculpts. Amusingly it was one of those times when the whole looking down thing actually worked for me.

I'm glad the spell effect appears to have gone over well, because teh diorama I have planned is going to be a witches coven of three, with this gal drawing out the circle they're working in the center the Reaper "water" sorceress will be sprinkling something into a brazier of colored fire and looking at her across from the brazier the Reaper scribe Jolie will be looking up from her spell book. Should be cool if I can pull off a good backdrop for it.

Great looking mini, Skya. Your idea for the base is probably the best I have seen--it gives a purpose to the (IMHO) very stiff pose.

Did they give you feedback on the mini at the Con? I would be curious to see what the judges felt about the mini.

This next part is a little uncomfortable for me...critiquing someone CLEARLY more skilled than me is always a bit strange. Someone once told me that they prefer honest critiques as opposed to the "back patting" that oftens passes for a critique. :thumb:

So, as for my very humble and nitpicky critiques...I think her face appears a bit flat as compared to the dress. The skull on the staff could use another highlight as well. I wonder if the color composition might have been done differently to add a bit of contrast to her. All the gold/yellow in the midsection seems to run together.

Great looking mini, Skya. Your idea for the base is probably the best I have seen--it gives a purpose to the (IMHO) very stiff pose.

Did they give you feedback on the mini at the Con? I would be curious to see what the judges felt about the mini.

This next part is a little uncomfortable for me...critiquing someone CLEARLY more skilled than me is always a bit strange. Someone once told me that they prefer honest critiques as opposed to the "back patting" that oftens passes for a critique. :thumb:

So, as for my very humble and nitpicky critiques...I think her face appears a bit flat as compared to the dress. The skull on the staff could use another highlight as well. I wonder if the color composition might have been done differently to add a bit of contrast to her. All the gold/yellow in the midsection seems to run together.

Honest critiques are what build your ability to see as a painter and are always appreciated.

Feedback from the judges came down to them comparing technical ability. They loved the artisticness of the piece but felt it needed more deliniation of the details and to really seperate each area. Having gone back to look at it with a fresh eye afterwards I had to agree with them. So, upon returning home a decided it was time to replace my 2 year old set of Winsor Newton series 7s with a new set and passed my old set down to a friend of mine who's just getting started in mini painting. Before Hyrekia gets added to the witches coven diorama I'll be going through and sharpening up the shadows on the panels of the corset, the gold (so hopefully it wont as you sayu, run together so much) and where the flesh tones hit the dress. Should really help her pop out a lot. You have a good point on the highlighting of the skull as well. I hadnt really noticed that, but you're right the pictures make it fairly obvious.

Thanks for the imput.