Be careful what you ask for ...

I'm not into much traditional Swedish food! Mostly because I don't eat meat, and most traditional food here involves either pork or beef or some form of game. I do, however, enjoy some of the traditional fish dishes. Smoked salmon, different varieties of herring and sea bass, for instance. I don't eat the bloody fermented herring that is so popular in the north of Sweden. That shit smells horrible! People say it tastes a lot better than it smells and I should try it, but the smell is so awful that I much rather eat something that both tastes and smell good.

I don't eat out much since my girlfriend is allergic to a lot of different foods and it can be quite difficult to find out what's in different meals in restaurants. Instead we do a lot of cooking at home and most stuff we do at the moment is inspired by either Greek, Indian or Thai cooking. That is real, traditional Indian and Thai cooking... not the stuff you get at restaurants!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I don't know if Northern California really has it's own local food, but just due to our location we have very strong mexican, and asian influences to everything. Combined with the fact we're so close to major fishing industries here, seafood is always easy to get, high quality (we ship the bad stuff off ;) ), and usually relatively cheep.

Growing up in Berkeley however, it went beyond even this, as it is VERY multicultural, and within a few blocks of my school we had India, Thai, Cambodian, Etheopian, Pakistani, Lebonese, French, contempory american, Sushi, Mexican, Chinese, English, , Iranian, Polish, and finally the top rated 4 star restaurant in the Bay Area....All top quality, and relatively inexpensive...well except the 4 star restaurant, which was pricey as hell (the one time I did ever eat there, Bill Gates was at the next table, discussing a $12billion take over or oracle, a few days before it hit the news, and presidents who visit the bay area always go to this place).

I think I grew up fairly lucky when it came to food

Sometimes you don't even need a cookbook.

Wild salmon fillet ... just cook it.

Top with sasa you get from the store ... just heat it.

Serve with black beans (got the ones with spices) ... just head it.

And yellow rice ... add water and heat it.

And Lima Beans ... another heat it ... got the frozen ones in butter sauce.

Reminds me of my old Key West days, only substitute dolphin (aka Maui Maui ... not the mammal) for the salmon.

Yeah....I use Ricotta all the time.....Lasagna just isn't as good without it...

I finally tried some CURRY....we found a 'bag' of 'heat and serve' curry at the grocery store. It was CURRIED CHICK PEAS or something, I make it and served it over rice. It was ok, but not phenomenal. I need to try some other styles before I judge it.

Nononono!

That's not REAL curry. Go to a Thai restaurant and order Chiken red curry. When they ask, tell them you want it Thai Hot or 5 stars, whatever their system is. If you survive, you'll be hooked for life.

...and eventually learn to think of Mexican food as rather bland, actually.

Nah, that aint a PROPER curry. Thai curries taste COMPLETELY different to Indian curries. Still very tasty though.

You need to try proper Indian food. Once tasted, there's no going back to other types of food. When done well, it is an absolute taste sensation.

The BEST Indian restaurants around - by a mile....

Buy the cookbook. Make sure you get all of the spices you need and you're away.

I used to be a chef in a Tex-Mex restaurant. Our food wasn't bland. Best beef chili you've ever tasted :D Good fajitas and a chicken dish to die for too.

I've got a cookbook with real Indian recipes, not the Europeanised stuff you get at most restaurants. There's some excellent stuff in there. You need a lot of bizarre spices, but once you've got them it's generally not difficult to make the dishes. It's quite striking how different these recipes are to what you're used to from restaurants.

They force feed them.

Until their livers are f***ing HUGE - like small footballs sticking out of the chest area. Absolutely brutal - hand RIGHT down the throat job. I had no idea until I saw a programme on it in the eighties.

Now I'm no animal rights activist. I like a huge slab of juicy beef as much as the next (meat eating) person, but it is certainly a step to far for me.

I've mostly got experience from restaurants here in Sweden (with no imperial history involving India ;)) and 99% of them are completely interchangeable...

True , but they offer 3 types of beer (strong, light and medium) if I recall my last visit to Stockholm.. This refers to the percentage of alcohol and not to the brands... :thumb: and this is kind of unique !

Hehe... Actually we have four: strong (which ranges from 5 % and up), medium (which is about 4-4.5 %), something I can't translate to English (which is 2.8-3.5 %) and light (which is 2.25 %). :D Partly, this is due to our state monopoly on selling alcohol (not serving alcohol, though... luckily :D). The 2.8-3.5 % beer and the light beer are excluded from this and can be sold in regular shops. All other alcoholic beverages are only sold at the special stores owned by the state monopoly. This actually have an unexpected advantage. The state owned company that runs the alcohol sales has the funds to keep a VERY large and very broad stock of products. The selection of wines is huge, as is the selection of beers, whiskey, etc. etc.