Japanese Movies

Some of you have made references privately to me about Japanese movies and I recently got, by accident, a japanese action/sci-fi movie that translated to 'Sky High'. Watched it, and of course a lot of it was OTT, but I liked it.

http://www.dvdvisionjapan.com/skyhigh.htm

Any other movies out there, of this type of genre that folks have suggestions on? I'm in the mood for katana's, evil looking villians and spirtual sorcery, something like you would find straight to video or only on the sci-fi changel here in the US.

Sky High was ropey.

Try Azumi, Arahan, House of Flying Daggers, Hero or Zatoichi. Battle Royale, Casshern, anything with 'Beat' Takeshi in, Versus, Wild Zero and anything by Takeshii Miike are also worth looking at. Studio Ghibli has made some cracking animation recently.

Some wicked Korean stuff too: Old Boy, Save the Green Planet, Brotherhood, Joint Security Area, R-Point...

And that's just the crossover stuff that is easy to get hold of. There's a lot of chuff, but when they make a good one, it's usually very cool.

Play.com have got a big sale on, so I just blew loads on DVD's. Can't wait to see Time Slip/GI Samurai again :D And it was only a fiver :)

Yeah, I've also seen 'Zatoichi' and it's very cool! :thumb:

I also recommend two Japanese films that are mostly dramas (but there's some action in them as well) that I think are awesome. 'Twilight Samurai' and 'When the Last Sword Was Drawn'.

If you want lots of sword fighting and blood, I can recommend two Korean films called 'Sword in the Moon' and 'Musa'.

There's no magic or swordplay in them, but if you like Japanese stuff in general, I'd recommend anything by Juzo Itami. All his stuff moves a little slow, so you gotta be in the mood to relax, but it's always great satire. His last film about the Yakuza is the one that seems most famous (because it almost got him killed), but Tampopo is till probably his best. It's a great send up of Samurai genres (and Westerns too). Just make sure you have time to go out and eat after you watch it, because the movie will make you hungry.

I'm a fan of Japanese movies -except Manga style, not my generation- and have all of Akira Kurosawa's movies; some might recall RAN, KAGEMUSHA and of course the Seven Samurai.

Juzo Itami is absolutely fabulous : Tampopo is one of the best comedies ever and I guarantee that you'll never look at a noodle soup the same way again once you have seen it- loved A Taxing Woman as well..

Cheers !

Even Leaves Falling on Cedars and Rhapsody in August? Those are awesome, but not really fittin this thread.

You're right of course; these 2 are more philosphical..

Hey Spacemunkie : hope you'll enjoy Kagemusha : one of my top 10 favorite movies of all times..., both for the tragic story and the beautiful photography !

Cheers !

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, watched Old Boy tonight - I was really, really, looking forward to it.

Scott, I wish you had keyed me in on the other parts of this movie, I'm not getting some severe flak from the wife and I have to say, that was just ... wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Did I say wrong yet? Wrong!

Wife says she needs a mental scrub.

Okay, I'm off to watch Disney or something.

My girlfriend fell asleep while watching Seven Samurai. I told her it was 3 and a half hours, and asked if she was up for it. She said yes, and assured me she wanted to watch the whole thing. She didn't make it through the first half hour. It's sacralege I tell you! She fell asleep watching Seven Samurai!

I have no idea how to spell sacrilidge. sacra, sacri...

Oh well, the point is my girlfriend really must be punished. She did an absolutely aweful thing, and she must be punished for it. Maybe she shoud be forced to watch End of Days like 3 times in a row, followed by all the American Pie movies, all in the same day. That'll teach her to disrespect the master.

Okay, watched Old Boy tonight - I was really, really, looking forward to it.

Scott, I wish you had keyed me in on the other parts of this movie, I'm not getting some severe flak from the wife and I have to say, that was just ... wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Did I say wrong yet? Wrong!

Wife says she needs a mental scrub.

Okay, I'm off to watch Disney or something.

Can you clue me in to the part that was WRONG WRONG WRONG?

You didn't like Oldboy? :D

Ok, probably not everyones cup of tea, but you have to admit it was crackingly well done. Can't wait to see his new one Lady Vengeance. Might go to the cinema and check it out.

Park Chan Wook has made some class films. Try Joint Security Area if Oldboy was a little extreme.

Just ordered a bunch more stuff from Play.com. Got Natural City to watch - it's a Korean sci-fi piece set in 2080 apparently. Looks interesting. Still waiting for Wild Zero and Junk to turn up.

Oh, I got around to buying Das Experiment too. Phenomenal film. If you like that sort of thing.... :D

Watched Natural City last night. Visually stunning, some awesome looking military police with the best face masks I've seen in ages and some good action. Heavily influenced by lots of western sci-fi - Blade Runner, Matrix and Aliens in particular.

Slightly dubious ending.

Worth a watch if just for the design and the pretty ladies (mmmmm....)