miniatures and materials

ergman

Hi all

this is a question which i'm used to speak with a friend, because the forums he is used to be, there are people that don't like the gw plastic minis, some prefer them instead of the metal ones, and we have too the forgeworld, fenryll and ilyad ones, that are in resin, so in which material do you prefer the miniatures? and why?

metal, plastic or resin?

For me it is metal. I like the weight and they tend to be easier for me to clean or convert. For some odd reason when I do prepping/converting I injure myself less with metal than I do on anything in resin or plastic. I do adore the durable/heavy resin scenic pieces (Grendal, Armorcast and Hasslefree's are great), but if it is a figure metals way better as far as I am concerned. :)

Maya~

hey maya, curious, I always thought that plastic was easier to convert, i 've never made conversions in resin so, no idea, i prefer plastic for conversions mostly, it happens the same to me but with plastic, I injure myself less with plastic...although I tend to get injured with every sharp object I touch XD.

some people told me that plastic figures look more like toys, may be it's for the weight

I prefer metal over plastics, because even though plastics have become much better with regards to level of detail and the ability to create dynamic poses, there's still a way to go before plastic can beat metal, I'd say. I haven't tried painting a resin mini yet, but I probably will pretty soon.

hey maya, curious, I always thought that plastic was easier to convert, i 've never made conversions in resin so, no idea, i prefer plastic for conversions mostly, it happens the same to me but with plastic, I injure myself less with plastic...although I tend to get injured with every sharp object I touch XD.

some people told me that plastic figures look more like toys, may be it's for the weight

I'm sure like most preferences it varies from person to person on which is easier for them and what materials they find easiest to convert/use. Plastic and resin figure fiddling certainly isn't easy for me!

I hear you on the sharp tools. I've learned that unless I reaaallly want to convert something badly (or its really fast, simple and involves the minium of sharp objects) to leave them them alone or risk having to wait until I heal to paint them.

I kinda agree with the folks that told you plastic figures look more like toys, especially if they were talking about the GW plastics. I've heard tons of comments to that effect from brand new Warhammer players as they start out and I agree. I think because there is a long timeframe where people have had plastic toy soldiers for kiddies, as well as for tons of really cheepo *not very well detailed* plastic toys, its kinda normal for people to think of plastics in both those regards. I've also heard those comments from wargamers after seeing and feeling some of my light resin figures.

Maya~

Metal is the best, but I have no aversion to plastics or resins.

But, there is something special about the feel of a metal mini. I never cared much for the soft lead (sorry Mr. Asbestos) but the pewter alloy they use now-a-days is great stuff. Especially when you fill a tube sock with them and mercilessly beat up the neighbor.

Especially when you fill a tube sock with them and mercilessly beat up the neighbor.

Having some problems with your neighbor? :secruity:

I've really liked the few resin minis I've worked on, I find it easier to deal with than metal and holds the paint better. Also, it's not as smelly.

:ciao:

I prefer metal for my minis, within that I prefer a harder metal that I can bend and work with fairly easily eg: GW/Hasslfree/Heresy..I find Rackham's alloy is just too brittle.

I really dislike plastics as they don't have the weight that I like and it's harder to remove sprue marks, having said that I always use plastic bits on my bases from piles of old GW sprues..

I've only really had experience of resin scenery from Fenryll and I really like what I've seen so far - their pack of treasure chests is really cool.

If it is well done I'm happy, but my preference is metal as I like the weight. For conversions, plastic is easier, but seeing as I have a dremel, metal work is just as easy, if not a 'tad' more dangerous.

I'm with Nathan on this one ;).

@Anders : patience, I'll go threaten my LGS this week-end to get those resin pieces you wanted on the move ;).

Resin is nice if it's quality resin (or else it breaks to easily) and you remember to use superglue and not glue for plastics.

it's sort of funny, I used to prefer metal, then for a while I prefered plastic, then back to metal, then resin for a bit, then plastic, then metal...then I realized I just like whatever I'm working on...So basically I don't think I really have a preference or care all that much :)