Cmon contest?

EricJ

So I really like this upcoming cmon contest (read about it Here )

Who else is thinking to enter? What are you thinking about doing? post WIPS if you want! If you want feedback, greyscale can be tough, so why not help out each other on this so the wyrd board team can make a showing over there ;)

PS: I'm mostly into it because I've been kind of obsessed with limited palates lately, so it's really been on my mind.

I probably will but I didn't quite understand the one color allowed. Does it mean you can add the color to give a tint to the black and white or can you use, say, blue on its own?

Either way! basically think of it that you have the freedom to do anything you want with black, white and 1 other color

you can do sin city style, where it's BW with one object or surface colored, you can do it where the whole piece is tinted in a color, you can do very stylized like what I've mentioned in the brute thread here...

Thank you :).

But I actually find this a lot more easier to do than doing it in color. I just have to focus on contrast and texture. Plus, evening the lighting is child's play with the appropriate grey wash. It almost feels like drawing.

Cedric, it's funny, I almost felt the same way. I now think it is actually very valuable to do this once in a while, because it does get the focus on texture and tone, rather than color, which is so often forgotten about as we rely on color to do everything.

I'm looking forward to watching this piece progress :)

Looking good GS! I dig that pedistal base too. Did you make that?

Without trying to be too artsy-fartsy, one of the things we as artists should be looking at is how this value approach will affect us when painting normally. One of the classic procedures used by the Dutch Masters was grisaille (pronounced gree-zai), a French word meaning literally shades of gray from a mixture of black and white. Value is what we use more than color to distinguish depth and contrast. Understanding values is fundamental to any type of painting.

See the classical process here:

http://www.artpapa.com/oil-painting-lesson-1/index.html

and see how it can apply to mini painting here:

http://www.brushthralls.com/Mercs2/dd/index.php

http://www.brushthralls.com/Mercs3/dd/index.php

very interesting to me. biggrin.gif

Looking good GS! I dig that pedistal base too. Did you make that?

Thanks Patrick :). The pedistal base is from "Prince August". They make great wooden bases in all sizes, shapes, and colors. All I did was add the river, shore, and rock.

Those links are great. Thanks for sharing :). The more I see what people do in the mini world, the more I'm convinced that having a solid comprehension of "classic" painting is a big help. I wish you could see what Yannick Degiovanni (Yandegio on CMON ) does in person. He only uses oil paints and the rendition is just plain amazing.

@Eric : Thanks :). When Nathan lets you post yours, do you think you could post WIP too (if you took some)?