Voting on the Contest!

supervike

So...how did you vote?

What I mean, are, what factors went into your vote decision?

For me, its not always about technical brilliance. I tend to vote more for how something is presented, rather than flawlessness.

For instance in the Witches and Warlock category, I voted for entry 10. Technically not the best entry, but is that the criteria? I felt that entry really captured the theme of that division of the contest. That particular entry struck a chord with me, and evoked a response. That has got to be worth something!

I hope mentioning which I voted doesn't cause problems. I seriously doubt I could sway someone to vote for something they didn't want to. Egads, If I could do that, I'd sway you to vote for my entry....

I said in another post, and I'll say it again, I'd prefer to see a 'vote for the top 3' in each category.

What say you?

I usually go for the 'wow' factor, something that makes me wonder just how they did that, evokes a response, or seems to fit the bill perfectly. There are several in this contest that, though not the best when it comes to painting, the overall affect when you view their miniature, really makes you appreciate the amount of work that went into it.

Examples for me would be the 'Green Witch' one from Dark Sword Miniatures - that one there really shows a lot of care and thought went into this miniature and really catches a whole new level of 'witch' for me, more pagan, or wiccan, or hell, nature lover, got me. Anyhow, what I mean to say though is that it evokes a nice response from me.

Others that caught my attention was the 'Trick or Eat' with the witch and the kids. Not the best paint, not the best base, but add it all together and it really has a fun feel to it, something that you can see someone put a lot of effort into and envoked 'halloween' in a fun sense.

There are numerous others that caught my attention as well, some good, some great, some not so. I've personally not had the time to leave a comment on each and every one yet, but I hope to do so before the week is out.

As for the voting multiple times - probably a better process, and one that I'll go ahead and look into implimenting for the next contest. I could do it now for this one, but I think its a bit unfair to go ahead and just do that willy-nilly.

FF, you could maybe contact Zaphod over at the Golden Toadstools about how they're set up. When you vote at the GT's, it's set up that you vote right there for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices. Couldn't hurt to ask him about it....

Just my 2 cents, I like being able to pick the top three rankers (imo) in each category. Maybe for next contest?

:1: :2: :3:

For me, when I vote, it's the full experience that matters. Painting quality, base work, concept, colour choice, photo quality (and size to a certain point), everything goes into that. A mini could lack in some of these points and still come out as great although that means it would have to be REALLY great in some of the other points. Some things, like colour choice, are difficult to neglect since it has such a huge impact on the outcome.

For me its pretty much the overall look of the job. There is definitely more emphasis on painting though.

I also like a good narrative in basing etc. Like some of the entries which are not technically perfect but look really good as a whole.

On the 1 vote thing I thought at the time that it could end up with everyone voting the same first place then 2 and 3 could have 1 or 2 votes each.

Yes a 3 vote system would be better.

I jave to say though it was a great turn out. Just look at the cmon5 entries. About 10 or 12.

And its the first one using this system so I will forgive Nathan this time but it better be bloody perfect for the next one.:peace:

If the CMON comp. minis were a little better, people may enter. The last two have been rubbish.

I've discussed with borg about this and he said he'd be doing the monochromatic thing he mentioned a while back; he's just waiting for contest n°5 to finish :).

Back on topic : I love eye candy with a story to it. And I saw a lot of both in this contest :).

Whats this monochromatic thing then, just curious, I know this is about Wyrd comp.

OK, a quick answer not to pollute the forum ;).

Remember Thomas David's >>Marine<< ? Well borg is promissing Sin City prizes for the best mini painted with just one color gradiant (it started with just black and white, but I think he might accept colors ... wait and see the rules ;)).

Sorry Nathan for being OoT, but I thought the idea cool.

I agree, the Golden Toadstool is a pretty nice voting system and seems to do quite a good job as well (if only there were move voters over there!)

I definately think that single miniature contests can be fun, but definately will never get the same turn out as theme contests.

Feel free to discuss other contests, or even advertise them here, I'm game, and to be honest, the more the merry in my opinion. Of course, I want the Wyrd ones to do well obviously.

As for the voting, heh, I'll try next time Klute, I will. I suppose I could add it on there now, and let folks go in and finish up their votes, but the one problem with that is that I can see everyone crying 'foul' so I'll leave it be for the moment. Next time around, I'll allow for multiple votes and hopefully that will make things a bit better when it comes to the voting.

As for the CMON contests, can't say much about the miniatures as they personally don't grab my attention, but there are some very good paint jobs and with a large community such as CMON, I expect there to be a large turn out for the proper type of contest. When you make it all about a single miniature, that really limits the amount of people that will join, and top that off with it being a limited miniature that has to be bought through one site, then you get people complaining about it being only about making money from sales and giving out small prizes.

I personally think the next contest at CMON will likely get a lot of entries if it is for the monochromatic theme for any type of miniature. Then you have a unique idea that can be used on any type of miniature. Believe me, I thought about knicking the idea when I heard about it, but I'm going to try and stay away from that. :D

So now that we're talking about contests in general, what can I do to make the Wyrd Painting Contests better? Obviously its not over yet, and we are using a new system at the moment, but is there anything that you see that can be improved or even a direction to move towards to make things better? I'm always open to suggestions.