Angry with CMON.

Duende

OK, I just need to vent a little spleen. I hope you all don't mind, I find writing cathartic.

Anyways, I haven't really been visiting CMON a whole lot recently but on my last visit ot my account, I noticed that my rank had dropped over 100 slots. Now I haven't been away THAT long that a gradual drop could explain it. So I went to look at my gallery and found one of my top two pics was gone. Just vanished, no "reported" or "waiting" status... just gone. And it's been there for years, I think I originally posted it in 2003. So now, it's gone along with all the comments and votes it's accumulated in the last couple of years, not to mention it WAS one of my top-ranked minis and it's loss really drug down my rank. (I know I say to myself "rank's not important" but losing over 100 places really stings.)

I did just PM borg about it, but I don't know how long it will be until he replies, or if he can even do anything about it.... I'm just ticked off about losing one of my best, and need to blow off steam. Anyways, here's a link to my missing pic: Forgeworld Asurman

Thanks for letting me vent! :vb_mad2:

Oh yeah, I remember this one from your gallery. I'm guessing with the move over to a new box and the software upgrade that there was bound to be some hiccups, hopefully it is something that can be fixed easily enough.

Myself, I've really found that I don't care to put my stuff on CMON anymore. At one time it was a bit 'gotta do it' for me but I haven't bothered with the last five or so that I've completed for some odd reason, probably due to the clicks and the way votes are done. Just my opinion.

Anyhow, this isn't a bash CMON thread (Duende isn't doing that, I'm just saying lets not turn it into one), as I feel that it still is an important part of the miniature community to find inspiration and direction, just not my bag so much anymore.

I still love CMON, I just don't finish anything :D The only thing I have finished (and is not my Wyrd entry) will not be uploaded there because... let's face it, nobody wants to see a badly painted miniature, especially not on CMON ;)

Duende, that sucks about your loss. But why don't you just upload it again? the votes should collect quickly on such a fine piece of work.

yeah, it's a big place, and there are bound to be glitches :(

However I like the place, I get more honest feedback than anywhere else I think (even though the scores aren't perfect, I think they're still a real good indication of the quality of a piece)

Anyway, that would still suck, sorry :(

Thanks for the sympathy, guys. I guess it's not so much that I'm angry with CMON as much as... I guess, fate, really. I mean, of all my pics, it had to be THAT one, one of my favorites.

:argh:

Well, I plan on waiting until if I hear something from borg or not, and if he can't do anything, then I'll probably just repost it. I just hate losing all the votes and comments that were on it. This piece was also entered in the Baltimore Games Day in 2001 and made first cut, but didn't place, however.

Well, here's hoping it can be restored! :cheers:

Well from another point of view and I'm being totally honest I believe that for rankings on cmon to be more accurate older figures should be put back through the system.

See a 10 rated figure 4 years ago probably wont be now.

Thats my view on that and not really anything to do with the fact that your pic has gone. Last server switch a load of accounts were doubled so its possible just a glitch.

Maybe they have culled the older stuff ??

Do you have anything older still in your account ?

I still like cmon and still like being part of the community there but the scoring/ranking system has totally gone out of the window for me now. I like to post my pics there still becuase most of them are commissions and I feel its part of my service to pimp the paintjobs.

Don't get me wrong, I like CMON, and go there practically every day - just now when I post my miniatures, I do it in a thread on the forum instead of in the gallery as I can get some immediate feedback vs. votes which really don't do it for me anymore as frankly, some people will vote low because they know me, or high because of the same. I would say only about 50% of the votes in the first 50 or 60 are accurate of joe-blow coming through.

votes which really don't do it for me anymore as frankly, some people will vote low because they know me, or high because of the same.

You know, there is an easy solution to that : make a second "anonymous" account and don't post in the forum with that account. I've got two like that (depending on the type of mini I post) and the feedback in the comments are a lot more constructif. I think it was Peter who first mentioned this solution. The votes and comments come in slower but you can be sure that the people who see your work aren't influenced by what they perceive of you in the forums.

Well, I got a PM back from borg and my Asurman is pretty much gone (since it was remotely hosted). So now I have to decide if I want to just repost that same pic that was there before or maybe take some new pics since my camera I use now is better than the one I had then.

Any opinions?

:question:

That sucks! You won't get the same score though, not even remotely, as the scoring and voting has become very different over the last year IMO.

I know! I just know it's not gonna pull the same score it had, especially since I first posted it back in 2003, back before EricJ showed up and started making the rest of us look bad!

:motz:

*EDIT* Hahaha! When I wrote this, CL's post was the last one!

Of course, you could always take new pictures, then repaint it (your painting has improved in the last two years) take pictures of the new one, decide which you like better, post the better one, then strip the mini, send it to eric to paint, post it and there you go! :hahaha: :whistle:

Seriously, I am sorry to hear about your missing picture, that really does stink.

Gin

I think I'm just gonna take some new pics. If I was to paint him again, I'd want to do it to a new one. I'm kinda attached to this one how he is, he was pretty good for where I was at the time, and he matches my 28mm Asurman, too.

I'll post a link here when I re-list him.

And nice idea, Gin, but I wouldn't send him to Eric. Eric wouldn't love him like I do!:love:

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone!

Well, here's my new pics of Asurman and I'll most likely repost him at CMON but I don't expect him to rate as well as he did three years ago. Oh well... I think he's pretty good for me being a newbie painter at the time and using cheap Wal-Mart craft paint to do him. There's a few things I'd probably change on him now, but I'm kinda attached to him how he is, flaws and all. :love:

AsurmanRepost.jpg