Serenity - Firefly

Equus

Hi all! This is my first post ever here! Yay! Mostly because I just have to goob about this...

So I just saw a pre-screening of the movie "Serenity", and all I can say is: Oh...my....god....

I highly recommend it to anyone who has seen and liked the series "Firefly". For those unfamiliar with the series, the movie might not have as much impact or be as enjoyable. There's a lot of character interaction that is best seen with some background info, though I think the movie stands all right on its own.

It's also significantly darker than almost anything you would have seen in the series, and much more violent. Because of the different mood, there are some slight differences in the portrayals of characters between the movie and the series, but that can mostly be chalked up to a passage of time between the series and the movie.

All in all, again, I highly recommend this to any fan of "Firefly", though it's harder to recommend to those new to the series. I will most likely be going to see it again this weekend when it opens, as I think I missed a bunch of dialogue because of cheering and the like at the showing.

Hey Equus, glad to see you made it over!

I've been watching the previews and for some reason I thought it was another series coming on, not a movie. Guess I automatically assumed it was the show reborn.

Obviously you liked it - anything you didn't? Did they leave it wide open for another movie or possible series?

Thanks! I couldn't get to CMON for some reason, and I just HAD to post something about the movie. ^_^

Without terribly spoiling things, I can tell you that there is still a lot of "meat" left that they can explore. My friends and I, however, don't really think they'll do another series, though I have seen odder things. So our guess is a movie sequel is possible, depending on how well this movie does. This is mostly because of certain storyline changes and changes in character relationships.

Things I didn't like? Hrmmm...it is much darker, so there were definitely some very uncomfortable moments in the movie. This wasn't necessarilly a bad thing though. There are some things that occur that are disappointing, but it's not as much because it was bad, but that I kinda didn't want them to happen....if that makes sense.

The special effects, of course, were a lot of fun to watch.

@ supervike - Yep...the movie takes place a little while after the series "Firefly" with all the same characters.

Firefly!!!!

fireflycrew.jpg

One thing I picked up recently was the official movie magazine for Serenity. According to that, the movie picks up about 8 months after where the series ended.

And as to why it's a bit "darker" let me quote form the mag directly:

(As said by Nathan Fillion who plays Malcolm) One of the things Joss wanted in Firefly was for Malcolm to be a dark person. Joss had license from Fox to do whatever he wanted and then of course we made the pilot and they came back and said, "Yeah, we want a little more action and Malcolm to be more likable." That was certainly not what Joss had planned but he said,"Oh sure, I can do this." And it was either that or no show. Mal became funnier and more likable, whereas in the movie, he becames as dark as he was supposed to be. Where it picks up, a couple of things have happened that make Mal a darker, emptier man.

I have the box set and was having my own personal marathon until a friend called and asked to borrow it. *sigh* I plan on seeing it this weekend myself!

Yay! :cheer2:

I remember seeing the pilot episode for this, seemed pretty good.

Someone want to give a brief run down on the characters and overal plot? I remember the one gal on the left is supposed to be a courteson or something like that right? Sulky girl was in a box or something originally in the pilot? The rest of them, no clue.

We've got the series on DVD as well and are really anticipating the movie. I do have one question though....did they keep the theme song from the series for the movie?

That's a good question! I loved the opening theme for the TV series, I hope they kept it in the movie somewhere.

:elefant:

Now I also perfer Kaylee to Anara. Anara's hot, but Kaylee is real. Do they have a love scene? :five:

Kaylee and Inara? That would be interesting. ^_^

I do have one question though....did they keep the theme song from the series for the movie?

Nope. As far as I remember, unfortunately, the TV theme song makes no appearance.

• 8 years later...