Scibor going into the miniature buisness ..

Nathan Caroland

So you get the original item you want to copy, chuck talc at it make a milliput 'mould' - how do you stop the milliput 'mould' from sticking to the green stuff.....water? Vaseline?

I use water, but vaseline works fine. By the way, the mould can be made out of anything (green stuff, fimo, ....). In the article, Cyril melts plastic on a surface and then presses his moulds.

@all : no prob :). Cyril has great articles on his site both on sculpting, conversions, and painting.

But in the words of CindyD. you don't always have a bowl of water or vassoline, but I take my mouth everywhere :)

Would you people please stop licking me :P!

@CL : All the credit goes to Cyril. He's also recently put up some tutorials on how to do chipped off paint on rusted metal (>> here << ) and how to build an industrial water recycling holding tank (>> here <<).

IMHO, he's the one who has contributed technically the most to the mini scene these last years. He democratized NMM and he did the first glowing eye/armor scratched Space Marines. Since his wife is of japanese origin, he's constantly between France and Japan so he has a lot of occasions to try out new technics and materials (you should have seen the debate they had on Créafigs over transparent resins to do water ... went crazy :P). Plus since he's a graphic artist, he knows the major painting theories and technics. A man to watch ... well if he gets over his grudge with Rackham and GW :P.

I agree thart Cyril is one of the major contributors within mini painting. Just look at the number of people basically copying his stuff over and over. I've spent hours and hours inspecting his stuff and have learnt very much by it. He always seem to cover new ground, not reproducing the same type of stuff all the time, which is very inspiring. I'd say he and Allan C are my biggest sources of inspiration among mini painters.

yes, but what is with the French and Nurgle/Decay! :)

I definately think there is a good synergy among french painters now where they push one another to constantly improve on what has been done to push many of them to the top in the world. Seems there are similar things happening in Spain, Germany and even Italy. However, something I don't really see happening in the US unfortunately.

You've got me curious now ... what grudge?

Oh, it's no secret ;). He even explains it on his site. Basically, he used to work for Rackham when it was starting (hence the NMM trend of Rackham;)). They stole one of his ideas. He brought them to court, and won.

Concerning GW, it's a mix. First of all, when you win a GD, you give away your rights to the image of your mini; so you can't have it published in an other media then one owned by GW (for someone like Cyril, that's bad for his work). Secondly, he doesn't like how they organise the contests. This part on GW, is what I've read from him or heard from other people, so it's less sure.