Painting for progression

Hawkoon

Hello, dear Wyrdos!

It's me again. While I enjoyed hosting the painting challenge last year, my time for painting and follow-up just didn't work out, and sadly I had to give in to real life issues.

However, one month into 2024, I feel a deep hole inside where the challenge used to be. So I am starting out a thread to post community painting progress. No time limits, no pledges, mulligans and buybacks.

Just post what you paint and get friendly feedback from other painters!

I have no idea if this will fly or just rot away in the forum backpages, but thought it worth a try.

I'll start off with my recent nephilim:

large.20240204_192256.jpg.9f9b9b8f416081

large.20240123_162617.jpg.17dc2d41ff91c5

large.20240117_230326.jpg.188e1e22d72703

large.20240117_230249.jpg.c1350e41aba7da

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MestreGuilderius said:

Heyo all ! Excellent idea for dear @Hawkoon as always, will definitely support this thread the best I can :D

My last 2 minis, Arhorak and Dreamer Insomniac ;)

Featuring my first 2 attempts at gold nmm (Athorak's weapon and linings on Dreamer PJ) and also a magic portal made out of uv resin xD

Cheers !

IMG_20240210_181046.jpg

IMG_20240210_181153.jpg

IMG_20240210_181314.jpg

IMG_20240211_005906.jpg

IMG_20240211_010033.jpg

IMG_20240211_010056.jpg

IMG_20240211_010007.jpg

These are excellent! Love the portal and the OSL. You've really improved since you started posting in the forums👏

I'm no expert on NMM gold, and I think this looks really good, it's hard to belive it's your first attempt. I think you can go even darker to enhance the illusion of reflecting metal next time. If I've understood the colour theory right, you also want a slightly green hue in the darkest shadows. But I've never actually attempted it myself, so I may be wrong.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

These are excellent! Love the portal and the OSL. You've really improved since you started posting in the forums👏

I'm no expert on NMM gold, and I think this looks really good, it's hard to belive it's your first attempt. I think you can go even darker to enhance the illusion of reflecting metal next time. If I've understood the colour theory right, you also want a slightly green hue in the darkest shadows. But I've never actually attempted it myself, so I may be wrong.

Awwww thanks a lot !!! I do my best to learn and apply new technics as often as possible :)

I also feel a bit more confident about light placement and color theory^^

And these are my 2 real first attempts at gold nmm, and my 4th and 5th nmm ever ( the first 3 were the Nekimas and Lilith as Barbaros proxy^^). I feel like nmm helped a ton understanding lighting and colors, I'm surprised myself as how easily it's coming to me now xD

I have a ton of painting I need to do, and I keep telling myself I'll post some wips here and hope that keeps me working on them.  And I keep forgetting.  So that's not a good sign about using this as a reminder to myself. lol  

Hawkoon, I always love those eyeball base toppers.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all! I had a 6 month painting break - I think my attempt to stick to one keyword until it's finished burned me out a bit, so /shrug. Anyway, picked up the brush again, and these two folks are almost finished (really just some last tiny touch-ups plus varnish missing): 

RaDgDzP.jpegf3tjK0L.jpeg

I may start some Bygone or Forgotten models next...

• Like 3

On 3/16/2024 at 12:40 PM, djmacbest said:

Hey all! I had a 6 month painting break - I think my attempt to stick to one keyword until it's finished burned me out a bit, so /shrug. Anyway, picked up the brush again, and these two folks are almost finished (really just some last tiny touch-ups plus varnish missing): 

RaDgDzP.jpegf3tjK0L.jpeg

I may start some Bygone or Forgotten models next...

Love the OSL🤩

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

First batch of varnished models since October... Still can't figure out how to make TMM look interesting without it getting blotchy, so I ended up doing the old base, wash, drybrush method again on those Ancient Constructs. Ah well, next model, next attempt.

JB4roJ2.jpeg10iBOhz.jpeg

vSYlP9g.jpegBgXWr8k.jpeg

• Like 2