Can Needle and Thread disable melee actions generated by charge

inbrain

Question

4 answers to this question

As you said, the model declares a Charge which Pushes up to its Mv stat.  Part II of the Charge is the optional Melee Attack, but you don't have to do it.  Unless the Charging model had some additional Melee Attack on an Upgrade Card, it wouldn't be able to take the Melee Attack part of the Charge.  It gets away with declaring the Charge only because Charge is a General Action and isn't printed on the model's card.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MisterWerks said:

As you said, the model declares a Charge which Pushes up to its Mv stat.  Part II of the Charge is the optional Melee Attack, but you don't have to do it.  Unless the Charging model had some additional Melee Attack on an Upgrade Card, it wouldn't be able to take the Melee Attack part of the Charge.  It gets away with declaring the Charge only because Charge is a General Action and isn't printed on the model's card.

Even if Charge left out the "may", the rules for resolving rules conflicts would just let you say "It says I have to take a melee attack, but I can't declare any of the attacks, so I don't."  

And, just to "Me, three" the rule responses...

13 hours ago, inbrain said:

Or if to rephrase: do you first "declare" charge and then "declare" you're using an attack out of it, or attack part is not a "declaration"?

What matters is that you don't declare everything at once.  Declaring an action is the first step of taking an action:

Step 1: Declare the Action

Announce what Action the model is taking. Some Actions have Special Restrictions. If these restrictions aren’t met, the Action cannot be declared.

You don't go through the effects of the action and try to make any of the choices there yet.  When someone says "I'm going to charge you and hit you with my hammer", they're getting ahead of the model in the rules.

7 hours ago, solkan said:

Even if Charge left out the "may", the rules for resolving rules conflicts would just let you say "It says I have to take a melee attack, but I can't declare any of the attacks, so I don't."  

And, just to "Me, three" the rule responses...

What matters is that you don't declare everything at once.  Declaring an action is the first step of taking an action:

You don't go through the effects of the action and try to make any of the choices there yet.  When someone says "I'm going to charge you and hit you with my hammer", they're getting ahead of the model in the rules.

thank you for replying, for some reason I perceived "declare charge" in charge section as something special compared to normal action sequence, while it's not.