Malifaux World Cup 2024 - 8/9th June, Element Games, Stockport Uk

ScottishMetaLew

4 hours ago, ikildkenny said:

You write "World Cup" on the tin, this infers a certain standard of competitiveness and more importantly curtailing of alleys of abuse by bad actors.

I think you're reading too much into it. Yes, players from all around the world are invited, but the name is misleading. It's not this super competitive shark tank that you suggest World Cup should be. It's just an event with a venue big enough to fit couple dozen teams.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ikildkenny said:

World Cup not only implies a certain level of play and a certain level of competitiveness but also some "meeting in the middle" with the wants, needs and expectations of the worldwide playerbase (ok, likely europe-based in this cas)... you know ... caus "World Cup".

I very strongly support this. There obviously seems to be somehow different gaming preferences between (some) UK and EU players, but I don't really see any effort to find a consensus on the TOs side. As a TO, I consider to be very rewarding and beneficial for the local community to get players from different metas to join in. Therefore I try to meet their expectation as much as possible, because they need to overcome more barriers (e.g. travelling) than locals, and just a presence of foreign players often brings a tournament to whole different level and is generally even more attractive for local players.

Aspiring to be a World Cup  needs a bit more than to provide big enough venue and interesting prizes. And although there surely always will be some foreign players eager to travel and test their mettle against UK meta, I believe outright rejecting (or ignoring) other players need might easily lead to widening the gap and not connecting UK and EU. And that would be a pity.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, rebe said:

I think you're reading too much into it. Yes, players from all around the world are invited, but the name is misleading. It's not this super competitive shark tank that you suggest World Cup should be. It's just an event with a venue big enough to fit couple dozen teams.

Okay, good. Then the organisers should, if they have the guts to, rename it to something like:

"Elements Grand Cup, the biggest Malifaux team tournament in the world".

This will silence all critics immediately.

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

As a UK-based player, I would like to see clocks implemented at the event, especially with it being targeted at an international audience. As far as I am aware, there wasn't any 'formal' consultation after the previous event regarding clocks - I know some conversations were had by a handful of teams but hardly any concrete data. I can't speak for my teammates, but personally, I think clocks would have made the event better and brought it a step closer to being seen as a truly competitive international event - especially given the feedback from the international communities.

Regarding pairings, I think this definitely needs to be addressed given that concerns were raised prior to the event and the issues were evident at the event - we will hopefully see this in the rules pack. 🙂

I do think involving the international communities more would really elevate this event to the status it strives for!

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Just to chime in a little based on my attendance last year and what I see as improvements for this years offering while also touching on what some others have said.

Pairings - This has been critiqued on numerous occasions pre and post event and will be changed that it will be changed for the next event. Clearly the previous incarnation gave an advantage hence the revision.

Slow play - This is a very contentious topic and something that chess clocks does address. I also totally get the connotations that being named 'Malifaux World Cup' brings with it. Personally I would be more than happy to see chess clocks used in the event purely to remove the need to have the slow play conversation or the negative feeling that facing a slow opponent brings. It is a large number of clocks to acquire but if it is common internationally already and becoming more popular in the UK then it may be that players can supply the need.

Encounters - I think the encounters in advance could be beneficial as it will speed up the pairing process if the teams want to be better prepared. It puts the onus on them. 

Expectations - This comment essentially goes hand in hand with the connotations the name brings - a lot of UK based players and teams can treat teams as a social event due to a lesser cost implication and locality of it, where as our international attendees are likely having to stump up more to attend and are therefore attach a premium competitive experience tag to it. It should be somewhere in the middle with a high level competitive experience blended in good natured competitive spirit and promoting as such may weed out some of the 'bad actors' previously mentioned in the thread.

Just some of my thoughts as a TO, an attendee of the previous event (and the ITC when that was a thing) and an individual who wants to see this event thrive as the foundations are there to provide a truly unique event that brings the community together in a positive way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello there!  We are almost three months away and we are preparing our teams and searching flights and hotels, we are assuming this is still happening unless you say otherwise, maybe this thread needs a bump so we see some movement and more teams getting involved. 

Hi Guys, sorry about the thread being bare for so long. My personal circumstances have changed so much in the past few months I've not really had to time to keep up with it all.

Due to time.constraints on a personal level for myself and my fellow TOs (one going through a professional change, the other is a hard enough working TO as it is with nationals) we will be postponing World Cup this year and looking to relaunch it within the next year. Outside of personal reasons for this we also feel it's unfair to ask our many visiting teams to make the trip every year or multiple times with UK nationals, by moving the event to every couple of years we feel it'll hold more prestige but also be easier for as many teams as possible to travel to play.

For the UK contingent and those whom wish to travel the dates are not lost, @Cleezy is taking over to run an event at the venue.

So until next year that's all from myself @NoMoreMrNiceKaiand @Clousseau

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1