Looking at starting Neverborn

TheWatcherUK -

As we don't know how Kastore's models will be packed, it's hard to give any advice on collecting. (Though yoy want whatever box Cavern Nephilim are in for Nekima)

Nephilim are a rather selfcontained keyword, so you'll get quite far with just the core box along with blood brood and blood ritual to get the essential growth options.

After those three I'd get the title box (Monstrous), mostly for Nekima2.

For Titania it's quite a different case where Titania1 likes a lot of models outside her keyword while Titania2 makes keyword models better. Essential buys for both masters is the Mysterious Emissary. Good buys outside the core box and title box is the Howling (for Rougarou) and the Malisaurus Rex. Alternatively Hooded rider also does well with the fae.

I also have good experience with the Kurgan (from Jedza/Zoraida title box).

Brilliant thanks for the replies.

So if I look at starting with the mentioned boxes for nekima what would be a decent 50ss list ?

Also trying to get into the game on a somewhat budget instead of owning everything in one go - what other masters have an alright cross over of models or is malifaux not really like that? 

9 hours ago, TheWatcherUK - said:

So if I look at starting with the mentioned boxes for nekima what would be a decent 50ss list ?

Also trying to get into the game on a somewhat budget instead of owning everything in one go - what other masters have an alright cross over of models or is malifaux not really like that? 

Malifaux does indeed encourage cross purchasing by overlapping models!

Could be worth keeping an eye out for the Returned boxes coming out this year. There's a few models with both the Nephilim and Returned keyword like Athorak and Cavern Nephilim.

(And Barbaros, but Nekima can't hire him because of his lore).

11 hours ago, TheWatcherUK - said:

In Malifaux you will want to tweak your list for each game (as opponent, boardstat, schemes and strategy affects what you want to bring each game). A good core for Nekima1 is you want atleast 1 mature nephilim from the start (I more often than not bring 2). You also want a Black blood shaman to distribute focus to your models. To gain some more mileage of your shaman, starting with a terror tot to gain a grow token from ancient ritual on turn 1 is also a good idea. From there it's more situational what I hire, but young nephilim are good hires as they are fast enough to scheme/do strategy and packs a decent punch in melee. THey are however qiute fragile, so keep them out of range/line of sight of enemy models (Flight helps a lot here, use it wisely!).

Here's a general list:

• Nekima - Inhuman reflexes (I always take this upgrade) - +2SS
  • Bloodhunter
  • Mature Nephilim (Ancient pact) - 10+2SS
  • Black blood shaman (ancient pact) - 6+2SS
  • Terror tot - 4SS
  • Young nephilim - 7SS
  • Hayreddin - 9SS
  • Cache: 8SS

General idea is to setup the shaman to use blood ritual trigger attacking my own models t1 (don't attack mature as you can't cheat in a mask to get the trigger!). Get out some corpses for ancient ritual to pulse focus to EVERYONE. The terror tot will get a grow token instead, and by using grim feast on a corpse later, will turn into a Young nephilim. Key is to go in guns blazing with Nekima, mature nephilim and Hayreddin late in the turn, then hope to get initiative next turn (2x Ancient pact does wonders for this tactic!). That way you should be able to eliminate some of the opponent before they get to retalliate too heavily. I always bring a lot of stones with this type of list as it helps keep Nekima and Hayreddin alive, hopefully longe enough to take the advantage of the alpha strike. More often that not your opponent will be spending most of their action trying to deal with the carnage, and leaves your young nephilim and shaman to go score points unhindered.

Yeah, I find Nekima lists generally quite fun. Glad you enjoyed it!

When it comes to growing, it depends a lot on the pool. If you need models to move around and scheme you want to focus on growing tots to young, but if you need to kill stuff you want to grow young to matures.

In general I prefer matures over caverns, but sometimes you'll want the ranged attack with blasts. Or if you get a chance to grow a young that's already on scheme-duty you might want to grow it into a cavern instead. And then there are those occasions where you already have 2 matures on the board, but then you're probably winning already😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2023 at 9:43 PM, TheWatcherUK - said:

Neverborn is probably the faction with the most reliance on in-keyword synergy, but there are some that go together like Woe and Nightmares - and Mature Nephilim can find a place in any list. 

• Agree 1