What happened to reanimating?

ben th3 bear

Hi,

I played Malifaux ALOT back in first ed and some of the start of second ed. Haven't played in a number of years but some friends are playing it so I thought I would look back into it and see how third ed is. Now I mostly played resurrectionists with a hint of outcasts (though I think I had at least one gang from each faction before ten thunders came in), but I can't help but notice that a large amount of raising zombies of various sorts has all but disappeared. Now I know Nic was mainly about reanimating and has gone the way of the dodo, but Sheamus could summon belles, McMourning would recycle through corpse counters reasonably well, hell I remember Levi from Outcasts would essentially kill and reanimate himself every turn. Now I imagine some of this has been for balancing issues, but it seems to have almost gone completely, it was one of the things I enjoyed about playing Res faction, so am I missing something? Has it been put onto some gang that I haven't noticed or has it just been mostly removed from the game?

so when m3e first dropped they tried to limit summoners to one per faction, so ressers got kirai with mcmorning having a supplemental summon and molly having a enforcer who can summon , since then titles have dropped so now seamus 2 summons and mcmorning 2 dispite the action being the game his summon become a much more important part of his kit 

vonstook is your "zombie" master now (the guy who replaced nico) and original version kind of summons but only part of his kit 

Reva summons her corpse candles every turn, seamus can summon belles if you use his title version, mcmourning still summons flesh constructs, kirai still summons spirits, and yan lo can reanimate his ancestors

Sebastian still summons canine remains and asura  is now the main zombie summoner.  

Even von stock and hack daw have a little summoning potential in their crews. 

So the faction is still through summoning faction but each keyword does it its own way, with separate options. So zombie raising is less common, but summoning is in almost every keyword   

Levi, well he now has his waifs more as extra lives rather than his whole style about killing him every turn.  The theme is still the same, but the implementation is more " balanced"

I looked at Von Schtook but it seemed you could only summon with Lovelace by killing a living model. Looking through things Kirai seems like the only Master still able to just summon something, though once a turn like was mentioned.

Just read Asura, yeah that sort of thing was what I was inherently looking for. I liked mindless zombies previously.

34 minutes ago, ben th3 bear said:

I looked at Von Schtook but it seemed you could only summon with Lovelace by killing a living model. Looking through things Kirai seems like the only Master still able to just summon something, though once a turn like was mentioned.

Just read Asura, yeah that sort of thing was what I was inherently looking for. I liked mindless zombies previously.

Schtook's summon process is a bit odd.  He gives an upgrade to one of his students, them when THAT student kills something, it summons a new student for you.