What would have been a better play

Coyotebreaks

Hi, I had a game a week back, i played my mcmourning  crew verses my mates ramos crew. I have been struggling to get a decent game with this match up for ages. I actually made a post about this a while a go and got lots of good tips.

I realised that I have not been playing my crew agressilvy enough and learned that the armour negating ability of doug was sorting that I should have been using more of. 

Walking into this game I had recently played against another armour heavy crew I had been very aggressive with my crew and had got good results. So coming into this game I was confident and though that maybe I might fair better. 

It was a wedge deployment so we started off quite close. I cant remember my mate full list but he had the emissary , jos, and arachnid swims I think. His emissary was looking like  big threat to my crew so I thought it would be a good idea to send mcmourning after him. knowing that I could negate armour I had plenty of point on the table. I had a good hand so I thought it would be possible to dispatch the emissary quickly. 1 turn ,maybe 2 turn max. 

So I want for it. Shortly after getting stuck in I found I had perhaps over looked a small detail. the emissary had a power that allows him to spend stones. so he was able to use these to add negatives to fly flips and bailly made it very hard for me to land a blow and when I did never manages any other then weak. He also had a way to heal the emissary so whatever damage I did was healed. he started with 10 soul stones and had another thing that allowed to make more. 

so to cut a long story short, what was meant to be a quick enemy removal turned into a war of attrition. I cant remember if I killed the emissary I don't think I did but if i did it was on the last turn. To fours credit he lasted the whole game slugging away at the emissary. But I was throwing everything I had at it and not get very far.

So in the red mist of trying to dispatch this guy the rest of my game fell apart. I got overrun by spiders a I had nothing else to deal with them and got out schemed. 

So yeah I after the game I realised this was probably not the best play. But im not sure what would have been. 

So yeah would be interested to know what other plays would have been sensible. 

It's hard to say what plays would have been better, since I know almost nothing about the game, but I think the lesson to learn is that you need to know what defence your opponent has. And killing something isn't the whole of the game, such that focusing on killing can cost you the game, as it seems to have done here. 

I possibly still would have felt fine using my master to tie up the emissary since it was 12ss plus what ever he spent on ss preventing ( although remembering that if you had models die near it with its upgrades then it gets ss back) but only if I felt the rest of my crew was set up to score points.  Although there are probably more armoured targets in  a Ramos list that would be better targets that would have let his damage do something.  

If you want to kill something which has access to healing, then it's typically better to hit it as hard as possible.  I would expect mcmourning to do about 11 damage to it, but ss reduction is looking at reducing 2 damage per stone, so it could be as low as only 3 or 4 damage, but at the cost of 4 stones. It would also be a fair amount of injured, or a badly hurt hand, so making it vulnerable to a second hitter.

Mcmourning is really weak to stone users, so he isn't always great against factions like arcanists that can have so many of them.

That said, two things.

First mcmourning can run around the tanks and kill all the support. He can one shot most healers (unless it was a silent one).

Second, it you get in a bad engagement, just doctors orders yourself to escape it and go attack something else.

• 2 weeks later...

In general, when I run my Ramos list, my beaters and a few schemers are all I have left at the end.  Most my spider are suicided by Ramos for all the un resisted damage they do.  Then more models are made by Ramos for more suicides and stone production.  My opponents typically have found they don't like wasting to many actions on what I am choosing to kill anyway. 

I personally feel that the Ramos crew's primary weakness lies in will based attacks (Lure, Obey and the like).   Most his crew has mediocre will at best.  And due to his masochistic self-killing nature, he also relies on his ability to build more constructs.  Attacking his scrap markers with marker removal can also decrease his efficiency to some extent.

Anything that can decrease his stone or card economy are also useful.  These are possibly his greatest strengths with lots of un resisted pulse damage.