Hazardous Terrain vs. Hazardous Aura

Amateur Contender

Question

Last week I took my Perdita 2 Family crew up against Pandora 2 and her Woe crew. Pandora has an Attack Action (No Shelter Here) where she gives a model a 3" Hazardous Aura. 

The Pistolero De Latigo has a Summon Upgrade card with the ability (Outriders) which allow Friendly Family models within a 6" Aura to be unaffected by Concealing and Hazardous Terrain. 

My question is this:

Does the ability to be unaffected by Hazardous Terrain include Pandora's Hazardous Aura? 

I played the game with my models still being affected by the Aura as No Shelter Here didn't include the word "Terrain". 

Screenshot_20221018-163304.png

Screenshot_20221018-163211.png

6 answers to this question

My gut feeling looking at the pages dealing with hazardous terrain are that Outriders would allow you to ignore no shelter. Hazardous is exclusively a terrain trait and simply doesn't exist outside of being a descriptor for terrain. If an ability were to reference "terrain marker" then No Shelter would be exempt but as a general term of "Hazardous" it should be included.

Anyone else feel free to correct me on this one but as I'm reading it the word Hazardous in No Shelter Here is just short handing "Hazardous Terrain"

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

The way the rules are written, you have to treat the phrase "[terrain trait] terrain" as "something having the [terrain trait] trait".  In other words, the phrase "Hazardous Terrain" covers markers with the Hazardous trait, terrain pieces with the Hazardous trait, and aura areas with the Hazardous trait.  All three of those things are "Hazardous Terrain".  The same goes for the other terrain traits.

That means that abilities like Outrider does protect against things like the Vent Steam aura, and gaining Burning from Pyre Markers.  

• Thanks 2

The rules seem to flip flop between using "Hazardous" and "Hazardous Terrain". 

They mention Markers (Pyre) as having the Hazardous Trait, which is reflected on Sonnia 2's card. 

Sonnia does 1 has an action comparable to Pandora 2's that gives an Aura with "Hazardous Terrain" (compared to Pandora 2's "Hazardous"). 

My gut instinct is that they're one in the same and that this is an oversight on Wyrd's part. I did play the game as if "Hazardous Terrain" and "Hazardous" were different in order to not potentially cheat my opponent. I prefer to lose out rather than to unwittingly cheat my opponents. 

Screenshot_20221018-174226.png

Screenshot_20221018-174100.png

Screenshot_20221018-175110.png

Screenshot_20221018-174831.png