Abominable Rasputina

Euryale

I had a game vs Tara on the weekend using Raspy 2. It was 35 soulstones and the strategy was Turf War. 

The schemes were Claim Jump, Assassinate, Outflank, Death Beds, and Spread Them Out. 

The deployment was standard. 

My crew was:

- Abominable Rasputina 

- Wendigo

- Ice Golem 

- The Blessed of December

- Soulstone Cache

- Silent One

- Magical Training 

7 SS left

The Tara crew was:

- Tara

- Karina

- The Nothing Beast 

- Talos

- Aionus

- Void Wretch 

4 SS left

---

I chose Assassinate and Claim Jump (Ice Golem). 

They chose Outflank and Spread Them Out. 

---

Initially, my hand was very poor and their's seemed very good (I think they had three 13s in their hand), but I wasn't planning to do much first turn so I didn't mind too much. 

I turned both of my markers and they turned theirs. Talos came on the right flank and Aionus on the left. I summoned a silent one and put an ice pillar in the way of Talos's path between two buildings. They summoned two Void Wreches and popped one of them up next to Aionus, which moved to make the summoned Silent One fast. The Nothing Beast appeared next to her and did 6 damage, leaving her one one health thanks to armour. 

I sent the Blessed and Golem into the beast, but they did all of 2 damage between them! 

The blessed pushed onwards, in the line of Tara. 

---

The second turn started a lot better and I went first. The Golem got a ram on his fist, doing severe damage on the Nothing Beast and killing it outright. It then started to make its way back to the centre. 

Talos started to make his way down, impeded by the ice pillar. The wendigo put another ice pillar in the way and moved off. Raspy summoned a Hoarcat and pushed the golem into the centre, and then summoned another ice pillar to give the Silent Ones better LoS on the Blessed. 

At this point, the Tara player messed up. They gave the Blessed fast without a way to stop it activating, so it focused, leapt onto Tara, spent a soulstone for masks (Leaping Pounce), did a small amount of damage, lept onto Karina with the trigger and killed the totem, before charging back into Tara with the focus and using a mask of onslaught. Overall, Tara took 10 damage and her tomen was dead.

I claimed Assassinate and Claim jump. They worked towards Outflank, but I don't think they had a model in range. Due to all the death, he only had one strategy marker claimed as his (the rest were either neutral or mine). 

The Blessed pushed to threaten both Aionus and Tara. 

--- 

On turn 3, he moved Tara away but the Blessed caught up and killed her, flipping the final strategy marker from his to neutral. 

The Golem went for Aionus but fluffed pretty much everything, but didn't take much in return either.

--- 

At this point, the Tara player didn't see much of a way out and had very little left (and no master), so they conceded. 

---

Overall, I really like using Raspy 2 compared to Raspy 1 - she feels like even just by the push alone (especially with Creeping Ice to stop burying) she had loads more utility. In addition, creating an Ice Pillar as a quick is fantastic.  

• 2 weeks later...

Played a game against Abominable Rasputina yesterday - cannot overstate how much more interesting it is to play against new Raspie, compared to "I build my ice castle and hide in it" Raspie.

I think my opponent was making more interesting decisions more often as well, instead of setting up Ice Pillar turrets and jogging Snow and the Golem into the fray.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 3:52 PM, DuBlanck said:

Played a game against Abominable Rasputina yesterday - cannot overstate how much more interesting it is to play against new Raspie, compared to "I build my ice castle and hide in it" Raspie.

I think my opponent was making more interesting decisions more often as well, instead of setting up Ice Pillar turrets and jogging Snow and the Golem into the fray.

I've played quite a few games with her now and she feels so much better, whether you're winning or losing. It can be quite difficult to describe in text, but Raspy 1 felt so dry to use - like her activation was about as impactful (sometimes less) than two silent ones, like her abilities were very passive and costly to get off.

Raspy 2 has helped a lot in this regard, being that she has a lot of options with her push alone. The biggest improvements personally are:

• Easy pushes from around the board, allowing models to get in range of schemes or strategies they otherwise couldn't reach.
  • Easy access to shielded on multiple models without a flip even needing to be made.
  • More reason to take December models - beforehand there was close to no synergy in the crew so versatiles felt pretty much just as good, but now she can allow for healing set up with ice pillars (counting as corpse markers), pushing with northern wind, soft Laugh It Off with a trigger, extra armour with shielded, a good toolbox with rarely used models that can come in handy (e.g. Acolyte summon isn't a bad idea against a Corophy Duet if you have a way to put high damage into it that turn) 
  • Related to the above, but it's helped some of her crew like Snow Storm make more use of their shockwave to push and December's Command on summons, or having a way the Golem becomes much harder to move (Northern Winds tome trigger). It's not perfect (I still think the crew could use a look over), but it's helped. 
  • Finally, a really nice useful quick action is just good to have. Being able to drop a pillar as a quick and charge with 3 okay attacks is pretty nice in my opinion, but it opens up a lot of other options such as Ice Pillar > Charge > attack > summon, or ice pillar > push > push > push for examples. 

I think she's still got a pretty high skill cap positioning-wise, and I don't think we'll be seeing some sort of game breaking combo out of her, but she's so much more versatile with offence, defence, and support. I still think some of her crew could use some help (mostly the Acolytes and a small touch on Snow Storm and a couple of the others, as well as larger changes on Raspy 1), but she's in a much better place.  

I feel like one of the reasons why Raspy1 suffers in comparison is that she needs to spend resources setting up with little to no gain. For example, both Raspy2 and Sandeep2 drop ice pillars as a secondary effect on a different ability. Doing a shockwave ability AND getting a free pillar. Compared to Raspy1 who has to do each of those as separate actions. 

It also doesn't help that Raspy1 free action uses an ice pillar for a mediocre effect, while Raspy2 gains an ice pillar with hers. It makes Raspy2 feel like she just outright has more actions.

Again that's just one issue. There are more. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Okay, I think is a pretty silly interaction and I can't see much of a practical use for it, but:

- Ice Dancers have Freeze the Corpse, which allows you to target a Corpse Marker and turn it into an Ice Pillar Marker as a quick

- Kaltgeist has Icy Form, which allow other friendly models to treat this model as an Ice Pillar Marker. If it would be removed this way, it instead suffers 2 irreducable damage

- Abominable Rasputina has Cryosleep, which allows friendly December models to treat Corpse Markers as Ice Pillar Makers (and vice versa)

Okay, so does this mean:

As the Ice Dancer treats the Kaltgeist as an Ice Pillar Marker, and Cryosleep allows them to treat Ice Pillar Markers as Corpse Markers, the Ice Dancer can use Freeze the Corpse on the Kaltgeist as a quick no cost action for it to suffer 2 irriducable damage and generate and Ice Pillar Marker in base contact. 

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

In addition, more importantly, is there much of a use for this?

I can imagine using Ice Skating through the Kaltgeist to move it, Freeze the Corpse for an Ice Mirror point (so you have more reach), and then move the Kaltgeist again with an Ice Pillar left behind. Not sure how useful that is unless the Kaltgiest really needs to be somewhere, but it's something. 

It does at least allow for quick and very low cost ice pillar generation, especially if you just want to use one for the Silent One to heal twice through or something, or a pillar near the back for a Silent One to be summoned from.

13 hours ago, Jordon said:

I don't believe you can "create" markers in base contact with models. Even though you count the Kaltgeist as a corpse marker, I still don't think it stops being a model for the purposes of marker creation.

You are allowed to create in base contact if the effect says you can, and freeze the corpse does say to put the marker in base contact with the target, so that is permission. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adran said:

You are allowed to create in base contact if the effect says you can, and freeze the corpse does say to put the marker in base contact with the target, so that is permission. 

Oh nice! Well that certainly is a nice boost for a model that needs it. It's still very troubling that Raspy1 gets none of these benefits and they still remain subpar for her. However basically everything is subpar with her compared to Raspy2. 

Poor ice gamin. They are just horribly outdone by the Kaltgeist in just about all regards. I really hope they get some love in the next errata. I love the nightmare versions and would love to run them again. 

• Like 1