When to attach the summon upgrade?

Rufess

Question

The summon upgrades from Dreamer and Tara suggest that the summon upgrade is attached to the model before it comes into play, since the upgrade does affect how the model doing so (comes to play in bury).

The summon upgrade from new Perdita, however, does suggest the different way. It has an effect that happen when the upgrade is attached, and the effect is an :aura. Means that in intent the summon upgrade is attached after the model hit the table, otherwise the model would not be within range of any other models.

This also matters if the summon upgrade does give out condition when playing against Pandora. Will a summoned model gaining Stunned from the summon upgrade be affected by Misery if it is placed within range?

2 answers to this question

I think the simplest thing to say is that the summoning rules (along with the summoning upgrades) are written with a certain amount of either retroactivity or time travel to work properly.  

In order for Dreamer and Tara's upgrades to work properly, the instruction to summon a model with a summoning upgrade attached has allow any instructions on the summoning upgrade which say "When this model is summoned" to apply immediately.

But if the summoning upgrade refers to the upgrade being attached, that can't be resolved until the model is on the table.  

For instance, look at Academic Zeal.  There, the instructions are to summon a model.  Then the next sentence says to attach the summoning upgrade (which has an 'After attaching...' effect), and the last sentence modifies what happens to the killed model (since the summoning effect is an after killing effect).  Now, the summoning rules say that if you try to attach a summoning upgrade and it can't be done, the summoning fails, so for Academic Zeal you're in the middle of the paragraph if you've just killed a model and all of the available Enrollment/New Student upgrades are in use so the model has to be unplaced.  (And the New Student card has an 'After Attaching this Upgrade' effect that expects the model to be on the table...)

Likewise, Sandeep's summoning is 

1. summon model
  2. "then attach a Bound Elemental Upgrade"
  3. Shackled Elemental has a "After Attaching this Upgrade" effect

It continues to bother me that by the plain wording, if a replaced model has a summoning upgrade that says 'When this upgrade is attached' or 'After this upgrade is attached', that effect is going to get resolved again.  I don't think that's supposed to happen.  I think, instead, those effects are only supposed to be resolved after the model is summoned (so only happen once, with the model on the table).  That's also my answer for "So, does Misery go off on these poor Guild models?"