Who decides how effects and conditions transfer when a model is replaced?

Azahul

Question

I had kind of assumed the controlling player decided which new model gained those effects, but then I considered targetting the Coryphee Duet with Vendetta, for example. Which obviously doesn't work because the scheme may not have even been revealed at that point in the game. And if that effect is transferred by the opposing player instead, what other effects does the opposing player control the transference of?

3 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Azahul said:

I had kind of assumed the controlling player decided which new model gained those effects, but then I considered targetting the Coryphee Duet with Vendetta, for example. Which obviously doesn't work because the scheme may not have even been revealed at that point in the game. And if that effect is transferred by the opposing player instead, what other effects does the opposing player control the transference of?

When I play against Plaag, he always nominates the model: "this Coryphee is the new target of all schemes."

If you nominate it every time, it doesn't matter whether or not they know you have Vendetta (or indeed, whether Vendetta is even in the pool).

• Like 1

p 68 of the 3e rulebook:

Step 4 of Replace: "If the new and original models belong to the same Crew, the new model becomes the target of any effects that targeted or chose the original model, such as Schemes, Leader designation, or lasting game effects. The new model is always considered a legal target for those effects."

and

p 68 of the 3e rulebook:

"One model may also be Replaced by multiple models. If this happens, each new model must be placed into base contact with the original model. Resolve step 2 individually for each new model, then choose a single target for steps 3 and 4."

So Plaag is just following the literal rules-as-written for this, and that is correct. Often people will ignore irrelevant steps in a sequence, like splitting a Coryphee in a pool with no named-target schemes, but the rules do coiver this case and technically the selection step should always be taking place.