Dealing with Jack Daw

theamazingmrg

I've got a game tomorrow against Jack Daw and I'm going to be taking Sonnia (which may not be the best choice but I want to set fire to things).  I've never played him before so I imagine its going to be painful!

What's the best way to deal with his nonsense (Models to focus on killing, tech picks, etc.)?

The setup will be:

Deployment: Flank

Strategy: Public Enemies (which in theory I should stand a decent chance of scoring if I can actually kill things)

Schemes: Runic Bindings, Leave Your Mark, Let Them Bleed, Breakthrough, Research Mission.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Ruthless is your friend. Pale Rider, 46 are both good choices. Sonnia is a good choice cause the crew in general hates blasts. Understand that both Daw and the Hanged have the On Your Heels trigger. they can get to you from an absurd amount of distance. 

Don't really go after Daw unless you can hit him with a quantity of attacks and watch out for Executes. Keep cards in your hand. Alternately getting cards out of his hand helps you too so Grimwell is a good tech piece and the Drain Magic trigger inherent in the Witchling Keyword. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I've played Daw a bit, but not against Sonnia yet.  And I've played maybe 4-5 games with Sonnia, but never with Daw.  So I can't speak with any kind of authority, but for what it's worth here's my thoughts:

1)  Obviously Ruthless is nice, and since a lot of his crew is undead, Lady Justice's keyword has some nice tech pieces for the match up.  

2)  He will be applying a lot of pressure to your hand.  Kill Lady Ligeia if you can.  Her anti-cheating aura is annoying when you have the cards to discard.  After your hand has been stripped bare, it becomes oppressive.

3)  Although the crew isn't generally considered mobile, the fact that a lot of the models are Incorporeal or can ignore terrain means they can get through a crowded board efficiently.  Don't underestimate their ability to re-position if the board you're playing on is crowded with lots of impassible or severe terrain.

4)  Ranged and concentrated fire on Daw is a good way to deal with him.  But if you're not willing to dedicate the volume of attacks to kill Daw, you're probably better off ignoring him and killing his crew.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

Ruthless is your friend. Pale Rider, 46 are both good choices. Sonnia is a good choice cause the crew in general hates blasts. Understand that both Daw and the Hanged have the On Your Heels trigger. they can get to you from an absurd amount of distance. 

Don't really go after Daw unless you can hit him with a quantity of attacks and watch out for Executes. Keep cards in your hand. Alternately getting cards out of his hand helps you too so Grimwell is a good tech piece and the Drain Magic trigger inherent in the Witchling Keyword. 

Ooh, I hadn't thought of Grimwell.  That could definitely work.  Doctor's Orders could be a way to get Sonnia into a better position early on too...

11 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

I've played Daw a bit, but not against Sonnia yet.  And I've played maybe 4-5 games with Sonnia, but never with Daw.  So I can't speak with any kind of authority, but for what it's worth here's my thoughts:

1)  Obviously Ruthless is nice, and since a lot of his crew is undead, Lady Justice's keyword has some nice tech pieces for the match up.  

I think my biggest problem with building a Sonnia crew is wanting all the toys for maximum fire, so that often doesn't leave enough SS for tech pieces (which is clearly where I go wrong with my life!)  A Death Marshal could definitely work to try and keep annoying models Buried though, and if it can get Fast from the Undead, even better...

2 minutes ago, Irritated Walrus said:

I'd be taking Lady J here if you have her. 

I do, but I'm in the mood for setting things on fire and I've committed myself to not trying any new Masters until I win at least one game with one.  Unfortunately, that means I'm stuck with Sonnia (who I have actually won with) and Hoffman (who I'm just not getting on well with, which saddens me) for the short-term.  An entirely self-inflicted situation, of course, but its only a casual game, so its not the end of the world!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

I think my biggest problem with building a Sonnia crew is wanting all the toys for maximum fire, so that often doesn't leave enough SS for tech pieces (which is clearly where I go wrong with my life!)  A Death Marshal could definitely work to try and keep annoying models Buried though, and if it can get Fast from the Undead, even better...

In that case, I'd probably spam Witchling Stalkers.  Strip off Staggered whenever you can (try to have a plan to tie up Montressor far enough to keep his perma-staggered away from your main crew), that'll be super important.  Also, using them as little exploding bombs since Daw doesn't like Burning or ping damage of any kind.

• Thanks 1

Thralls seems good in this match up. Ruthless and a shockwave are 2 good tools.

I would not be confident with dispell. Itf I read Montresor right, you can nod end staggered condition around him. Your dispell would be useful only from turn 3.

Pale rider would be also good. His pulse will go through incorporeal. He will deal some burning to use for Sonnia or Thrall regen.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1