Coming back with a "plan" *cross post*

farmoar

Hello fellow Wyrdos!

I am coming back to the game after a hiatus midway through 2E. Between a close friend talking me back in, and a better gaming group locally, I am back to avoiding the Black Joker.

Back with one major caveat this time; a self-imposed limitation for buying models. Last time I played, I had a very Pokemon-esque "gotta buy 'em all" mentality, which led to several still NIB models that were never built, let alone painted or put on a table.

I would like to avoid that this time, and have decided to limit myself to only models that I can fit into my standard Malifaux Battlefoam bag (https://us.battlefoam.com/malifaux-bag-standard-load-out/, or 62 pre-cut slots and a pluck foam tray for larger models). From some preliminary perusing of the forums and podcasts, I believe I can get 6 Masters/playstyles over 3 Factions (Outcasts, Resurrectionists and Ten Thunders). This is a combination of what was available to me nearby, what looked fun to play and what caught my eye.

I don't imagine that this limitation will be competitive in any real sense of the word. But it should be good enough to play locally and perhaps in a tournament in a larger city. I just want to know if there is something that I am drastically missing.

Here is what I am looking to get so far, and some explanation where possible:

OUTCASTS

Crazy Cat Lady - couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab the old crazy cat lady when I found someone in the area had it for sale.

Catelin Abernathy (Nightmare Hamelin)

Almost full cat models (missing 4 Alley Cats, and will make a second Cat Princess)

Benny Wolcomb

Ashes and Dust - Still unsure about the Ashes and Dust. Seems like a good scheme runner for the list, that can also act as a scheme runner hunter, and hard to take out beater. This is the most flexible spot, but not sure what to replace it with. Also wary of using 3 spots for 1 ”model”

Prospector

Freikorps Librarian

Super Soldier/Anti Obey – this was from some theoryfaux and forum discussion about pushing the hired master rule to the limit. I can also see a story where Parker and Zipp hire on the Viks and Von Schill to act as a distraction, while they secure the real prize. This also helps balance out the storage restrictions, as the list is only 5 models.

Viks (Easter Bunny alts)

Captain Zipp

Parker Barrows

Von Schill -  the only one I am unsure about is Von Schill. I am happy with the other 4 masters, and felt Von Schill covered the most holes, with different equipment he can give himself. Open to suggestions on whether one of the other masters would be a better fit than him.

RESURRECTIONISTS

Molly’s Pirate Crew – love the idea of a pirate-themed crew, and the models look great

Full Brine and Bones Box

New Brine and Bones themed Rogue Necromancy

Archie (when available, WarmaHordes Swamp Horror until then)

3 Crooligans – are all 3 necessary?

The Forgotten Marshal

Night Terrors – still not sold if they are needed, or maybe just 1 for the occasional summon?

All Elite Seamus – Always wanted to play him in 2E, but didn’t like the look of the rest of his crew.

Alt Seamus

Little Lass as the Copycat Killer

Alt Sybelle

Carrion Emissary

Mindless Zombies

Bete Noire – not sure if she is worth a spot in the bag

1 or 2 Dead Doxy – how often do you field both?

1 Gravedigger – pulse out focus, but is it too cute?

Vincent St Clair – anti-summon tech for both lists

TEN THUNDERS

Honeypot and their Hired Muscle

Jakob Lynch

Hungering Darkness

2 Beckoners

1 Depleted – in case of summon?

Gwyneth Maddox

3 Illuminated – I can see fielding 1, maybe 2. 3 seems like a stretch.

Kitty Dumont

Alt Mr. Tannen

Alt Mr. Graves

2 Samurai

The Lone Swordsman

1 Kabuki Warrior

Shadow Emissary

Yasunori

Yan’s Fam – bonus points for being able to drop in as a sometimes-Resurrectionist (and having some models that work well with Molly and Seamus)

Yan Lo

Chiaki

Soul Porter

3 Gokudo – again, can see fielding 1, maybe 2. The third one seems like a stretch.

Sun Quiang

Manos

Shenlong – seems like a good candidate for a reliquary on turn 1

Yin

Izamu

There we go, my “base” set of models. Is there anything that I am missing? Constructive criticism would be great. Depending on how it goes, I know that I would like to add Minako and her summons (whenever that box is released…). Space permitted, there may even be a way to sneak in a Shenlong list as well (more elite, like some of the recent lists from UK Nationals).

If you are still reading, thanks. Sorry for the slog. 

I'm not sure what your question is exactly?

You played in 2e so does that mean part of that list is what you already own? Are you looking to buy all those? If that's the case I would downscale that list a little. You might spent a lot of money for models or crews whose playstyle you don't enjoy.

Malifaux imho is a game of mind over money. Of course you'll get some advantage out of throwing money at Wyrd and owning a huge selection of models but the diminishing returns set in rather quickly and you'll be stuck with a lot of models that you can't or don't want to play. The win-percentages added by additional owned models doesn't even come close to other factors like familiarity with the rules and models, knowledge of match-ups, a gut feeling for schemes and so on and so forth. Your experience with those things will come much faster when sticking with a selected few crews. 

My advice would be to scale down to maybe 2-3 masters. One of them a dual master or maybe a second faction with some overlap in models. Start to get a feel for those and after a few games you will get a very good idea how you wanna expand your collection. 

2 hours ago, Micawber said:

I'm not sure what your question is exactly?

Looking for tips from people who play some of these models. So in this section, looking for some suggestions; like if I am missing any models that work exceptionally well with Hamelin, or if I am off base on some of the models listed.

I have some of the models listed, but looking at getting my buy list sorted out.

3 hours ago, Micawber said:

My advice would be to scale down to maybe 2-3 masters. One of them a dual master or maybe a second faction with some overlap in models. Start to get a feel for those and after a few games you will get a very good idea how you wanna expand your collection. 

I have played before in 2e, and a couple games of 3e. I tend to approach most games similar to this; reading through the forums, watching battle reports, listening to podcasts. I can see myself possibly dropping one of the lists/masters for something else, but these are the 6 that caught my eye for various reasons. I would love to toss in something like Albus or Misaki, but they were second-tier compared to the ones listed.

Thank you for your input. I can see where you are coming from though.

Since m3e came out I've bought a few masters but mostly been using the masters I had, I've been exploring as much of the game as possible funding tricks and just having fun.

I've now played 31 masters and their various dual factions and it's been a blast.  While I have my favourites I'm planning to concentrate now on 3 masters and learn the full intricacies within those crews.

I think initially playing anything for fun and just seeing what you like what style of game you want is very important then as your understanding of the game increases you can then pick what you want

You are copy/pasting a pile of models you fancy into every remotely relevant sub and expect feedback on specific models? Without any further information the only constructive thing anyone could point out on that list are probably absolute shit tier models that are generally unplayable. I for one have not come across one of those yet so there is not much I can add.

If you have read up on the forums, listened to podcasts and watched batreps you know that Malifaux is a very player skill, match-up and scheme-pool dependent game. 

So if you are serious about this, then you could crop the list according to the sub you're posting in and actually provide context in form of match-ups , local meta, scheme pools etc. That way all the experienced players here can give you actual constructive feedback instead of validating a random buylist.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, farmoar said:

OUTCASTS

Crazy Cat Lady - couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab the old crazy cat lady when I found someone in the area had it for sale.

Catelin Abernathy (Nightmare Hamelin)

Almost full cat models (missing 4 Alley Cats, and will make a second Cat Princess)

Benny Wolcomb

Ashes and Dust - Still unsure about the Ashes and Dust. Seems like a good scheme runner for the list, that can also act as a scheme runner hunter, and hard to take out beater. This is the most flexible spot, but not sure what to replace it with. Also wary of using 3 spots for 1 ”model”

Prospector

Freikorps Librarian

I'll talk Hamelin - from a collection point sure get as many of the cat alts as you can. Benny is pretty great in Hamelin, but a trap in Parker imho. 

Ashes and Dust, not keen on him as a scheme runner only in Hamelin, there are some tricks you can pull with the split, but with your storage constraint maybe look at Midnight Stalker - this guy is worth his weight in Soulstone.

Prospectors are good, and you can maybe look at 2x for scheme heavy pools.

I have no opinion on the Librarian.

5 hours ago, Starrius said:

I've now played 31 masters and their various dual factions and it's been a blast.  While I have my favourites I'm planning to concentrate now on 3 masters and learn the full intricacies within those crews.

31 masters? Wow, good job! Who has surprised you the most? Who has disappointed the most?

6 hours ago, Starrius said:

I think initially playing anything for fun and just seeing what you like what style of game you want is very important then as your understanding of the game increases you can then pick what you want

I enjoy both a control and kill-oriented game (which I think is why I enjoy Malifaux so much). I wanted to try and get a Master that could fill each of those roles for each of the 3 factions.

5 hours ago, ebolazaire said:

I'll talk Hamelin - from a collection point sure get as many of the cat alts as you can. Benny is pretty great in Hamelin, but a trap in Parker imho. 

Ashes and Dust, not keen on him as a scheme runner only in Hamelin, there are some tricks you can pull with the split, but with your storage constraint maybe look at Midnight Stalker - this guy is worth his weight in Soulstone.

Prospectors are good, and you can maybe look at 2x for scheme heavy pools.

I have no opinion on the Librarian.

Thank you! Midnight Stalker was actually on the short list, but couldn't justify both him AND Ashes and Dust. I think some of it is remembering how oppressive Ashes and Dust was in 2e, and thinking that it would take a good chunk of AP from the opponent to deal with, on top of dodging cats.

Appreciate the input!

18 minutes ago, farmoar said:

31 masters? Wow, good job! Who has surprised you the most? Who has disappointed the most?

Pandora kind of surprised me I liked her in m2e but couldn't really field her because of her being such an NPE against my friends. Putting her on the table I thought this will be interesting vs meI fang. Turn 4 only mei fang was alive and I'd lost 1 sorrow, it was crazy.

Dashel I had a massive ammount of fun with indidnt take anything seriously and it worked but it felt like a lot of work for the reward.

Euripides, now as a master I suspected he looked fun but wasnt going to be competitive as when I faced him vs perdidta I was wiping him completely off the table, then I got to use him and when you do you suddenly get to see.the click as his mechanics start to work, that was a good feeling,

I was fairly disappointed in mcmourning but that's because every time I've picked him I was against tara and that is probably his worst match up as.a they do is target wp.

Youko has become my favorite master and I will use her in gamesnahe should be in. Her crew is just so much fun and recently discovered how obnoxious challenge is after forcing perdita in a game to be unable to attack for a whole turn because of challenge + stealth in 2 models in the crew. 

There are a few masters I feel need changing a little or vs newer players should be avoided.

Titania as her terrain vs players who dont know how to deal.with will.be very frustrated, I believe it should be destrucable terrain.

Basse is a master I dont bring vs new players as the sheer pressure he can bring when I played vs my friend on the first activation of the game basse killed 2 models and crippled a 3rd

Also hamelin. I loved him last edition this edition has just a more over the top go.

By turn 2 you opponents glazed look as you summon more rats then the following turn kill almost all of them to either murder models or being other bigger models.

I have a dream of 12 rats around 1 model.

I want the elusive +14melee 5/6/6 damage 

Just once and just for a giggle

1 hour ago, Starrius said:

Pandora kind of surprised me I liked her in m2e but couldn't really field her because of her being such an NPE against my friends. Putting her on the table I thought this will be interesting vs meI fang. Turn 4 only mei fang was alive and I'd lost 1 sorrow, it was crazy.

Dashel I had a massive ammount of fun with indidnt take anything seriously and it worked but it felt like a lot of work for the reward.

Euripides, now as a master I suspected he looked fun but wasnt going to be competitive as when I faced him vs perdidta I was wiping him completely off the table, then I got to use him and when you do you suddenly get to see.the click as his mechanics start to work, that was a good feeling,

I was fairly disappointed in mcmourning but that's because every time I've picked him I was against tara and that is probably his worst match up as.a they do is target wp.

Youko has become my favorite master and I will use her in gamesnahe should be in. Her crew is just so much fun and recently discovered how obnoxious challenge is after forcing perdita in a game to be unable to attack for a whole turn because of challenge + stealth in 2 models in the crew. 

There are a few masters I feel need changing a little or vs newer players should be avoided.

Titania as her terrain vs players who dont know how to deal.with will.be very frustrated, I believe it should be destrucable terrain.

Basse is a master I dont bring vs new players as the sheer pressure he can bring when I played vs my friend on the first activation of the game basse killed 2 models and crippled a 3rd

Love it! A bit concerned, as my main opponent has been slowly building his Basse box. Should be interesting.

27 minutes ago, farmoar said:

Love it! A bit concerned, as my main opponent has been slowly building his Basse box. Should be interesting.

It was mainly i was running 8 models with home in the range so +8" to deployment and then I used to pathfinder to lush base close before turn and then he activated and he blasts off of every level if his shot gun it got messy quickly.

Burned 5 stones keeping him alive till next turn but it was worth it