Journalist crew

arkan

If you use a Journalist crew with all of the journalist keywords, you only come to 35SS. My question is, what do you guys recommend that I spend those extra soulstones on? 

Are there any models out of keyword that you think would go well with the journalist crew?

Judge is Marshal, not versatile, but yeah, she’s a good general beater (if a bit expensive). I’d agree about undercover journalist being useful, and depending on the scheme list, you may want to sub some other minion in for field reporters (death marshals make good survivable pawns, while hounds make good runners for things like outflank). 

Pale Rider has range for days to maneuver around while Nellie plays front line games. I find her to be a stone heavy crew. If you bring Alison in, you’ll want a godly supply of stones to reduce damage; or you can pair Phiona with someone like Judge and use her Bring It ability to pull in an activated target and then hit it with everything from forced/controlled interact triggers to beat downs by the Judge for extra stones.

• Like 1

One powerful ability of False Witnesses is the "False Claim" ability, which is a tactical action that requires a 7. You cannot take the action while engaged ... BUT it ISN'T an interact. So it helps in a few ways:

1) You can disengage and then drop False Claim to get a Scheme marker down. (This doesn't help with other interacts, such as flipping a turf marker or corrupted idol).
2) You can drop TWO scheme markers within 4" of each other (that restriction is on the interact action itself), thus easily completing schemes like Detonate Charges. (Be aware: you MUST remove one scheme marker in step "A" of the End Phase, where you deal with End of Turn/During End Phase abilities, BEFORE you score schemes ... but False Claim allows you to pick up a scheme marker from ANYWHERE on the board. So you can, say, pick up that one you bluffed in your own corner as if it were for Power Ritual's second half, and still drop two Detonate Charges tokens against an activated model.
3) False Claim is a tactical action, so you can spam it and drop four markers, leaving two exactly where you want them.

3) Presumably if you have NO scheme markers at the end of the round, you simply don't complete that portion of the action ... so False Witnesses can simply drop two scheme markers as an early action. Here's some fun turn 1 mobility jank:
  3a) False Witness moves and drops two scheme markers
  3b) Nellie sends someone towards one marker, bumping them into the Witness (So as not to remove the marker) and giving them a 4-5" push on her free action (including herself)
  3c) Field Reporters use "Follow the Lead" and remove the two markers to get a free 6" move. (Undercover Reporter can also do this ... but WHY didn't it start buried? Maybe this is a fun mechanic for later round movement when you've taken the staggered/shielded barrel defense)
  3d) at the end of the turn, there are no scheme markers up, so none get removed. You pick up 12-18" of off-action turn-one movement for Nellie and 2 Field Reporters. The 3b piece with Nellie's action can move up a peacekeeper or pale rider or something, too.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Plus False Witnesses have Innocent Bystander, Manipulative, and an Aura that stops Cheating within 3", so they're a bit tough to target ... though you need to beware that their "Tell No Lies" anti-cheating aura hits your models, too.

I think I have seen innocent bystander help once in all my games with them.  If the no cheat aura was enemy only, I'd feel a lot better about them.

19 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I think I have seen innocent bystander help once in all my games with them.  If the no cheat aura was enemy only, I'd feel a lot better about them.

I think you have to treat Innocent Bystander as a hand-miller rather than a true defense. You want to keep these guys safe through pacing and positioning; if someone wants to hit them they're going to hit them. The aura is really just something to pop up if you run up for a scheme and need to survive one hit until the end of the turn or something.

Edit: and yeah, let's definitely dream of the day when the no-cheat aura goes enemy only! :D

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up to this thread. I'm starting to play Guild coming from Outcasts and I just love Nellie. I'm still waiting for all the unreleased models (not only the Journalist ones, but also a Melissa KORE, and others in the line). I think I'll start playing her with Grimwell and/or the PK as some people in the forums mentioned before. 

Apart from that, I think the False Witnesses are just bonkers. They can Detonate Charges WAY easily than other models, apart from all their other abilities. 

41 minutes ago, Kobosov said:

Follow-up to this thread. I'm starting to play Guild coming from Outcasts and I just love Nellie. I'm still waiting for all the unreleased models (not only the Journalist ones, but also a Melissa KORE, and others in the line). I think I'll start playing her with Grimwell and/or the PK as some people in the forums mentioned before. 

Apart from that, I think the False Witnesses are just bonkers. They can Detonate Charges WAY easily than other models, apart from all their other abilities. 

They are definitely guilds best models for detonate (lawyers get my close second).  You want to do detonate late in the turn anyways, so they can really get the job done.

To me the most interesting unreleased models are Alan Reid (who I'm coming around to slowly) and investigative reporter.  I've been thinking about not starting the investigative reporter buried, just keeping him back by a scheme marker and stockpiling mid-tomes to arson across the board with.

Also great for denying breakthrough, but I'm not sure it's worth losing the chance to do the undercover ability.

I am loving putting in Agent 46 for some threat with Grimwell to back him up, they for me are more efficient at killing then Phiona who really misses being min 3 Damage. 

False witnesses i found to be a great asset to a Nellie crew as well really solid model for there cost and the abilities synergies so very well.