Looking for clarification on ability rules

imthatonegirl

Question

Hello all, 

I feel a little dense like I am missing something, I am trying to look up the rules for abilities and I can not seem to locate them in the pdf. 

1) Does an attacking model need to pass a terrifying test each time they target a terrifying model in the same activation? 

2) When a model has both shielded and armored and then suffers damage, which order do those abilities resolve?

ex. a model with both has 4 damage as a result of a duel, if it reduces the damage by Armor(2) it can then use it's Shielded(2) to reduce the damage to 0. However, if these resolve in the opposite order the  damage reduction would be Shielded(2) and Armor(1) leaving one point of damage on the model because Shielded can reduce damage to 0 but Armored can not.

I haven't had time to read the rules cover to cover yet so that may be my problem, but can someone tell me are things like this addressed in the rules? 

8 answers to this question

1: Yes, terrifying activates each time an attack is declared.

2: They stack. More specifically a model's controller chooses the order simultaneous abilities like that resolve, so you resolve Armor first then Shielded to potentially reduce to zero.

However your example is flawed, Shielded reduces damage by exactly 1, then Shielded lowers it's value by 1.

• Agree 1

Just now, imthatonegirl said:

Thank you for your answer! 

Does that clarification change the possibility to reduce the damage to zero? 

It can still reduce to zero, it's just important to remember that Shielded always prevents 1, not equal to it's value like Armor.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, imthatonegirl said:

Thank you for your answer! 

Does that clarification change the possibility to reduce the damage to zero? 

Yes.  Under your example, the most the model could reduce it to is 1.  Because:

4 damage

2 Armor

2 Shielded BUT you can only use 1 point of Shielded.

So 1 damage remains, and the Shielded condition is now reduced to 1.

EDIT:  Actually, on re-reading Shielded I'm not so sure.  I can't find anywhere that says you can only apply 1 Shielded.  However, I do recall an earlier discussion that said you can only spend 1 point of Focused before a duel.  I can't find a citation for that either, so hopefully someone can elaborate further.

EDIT 2:  Now I think you could reduce to 0, you'd just be out of shielded.  Obviously my foundation isn't so solid on this one, but I'm sure other people will chime in.

16 minutes ago, imthatonegirl said:

@LeperColony OHH thank you the fills in the last piece!

I wouldn't thank me, I basically have no understanding of the situation!

It's my current belief you could reduce to 0 by using two points of Shielded.  But I could be wrong, because I seem to recall a previous discussion that held (though I could be mis-remembering) that you can't spend multiple Focus on the same duel.

Here's the thread.  It appears no firm consensus was reached.

EDIT:  Of course, it is possible that not all conditions were meant to have the same behavior, but since they share wording, we'd only know that with a ruling from Wyrd.

15 hours ago, LeperColony said:

I wouldn't thank me, I basically have no understanding of the situation!

It's my current belief you could reduce to 0 by using two points of Shielded.  But I could be wrong 

You are wrong. You have 1 shielded condition. It's just shielded+2. Trying to apply it twice is just like trying to use your armour twice. 

Edit

Back to the original question, part 2. Both abilities happen at the same time so it is up to the controller of the model which order they want to resolve them. If the incoming damage was 3 you could choose to apply the armour first to reduce 2 and then the shielding to reduce 1, ending on 0 damage, or the shielding to reduce 1 and then the armour to reduce 2, but not to below 1 to end on 1 damage. 

Rules for Shielded are page 29 of the Electronic rule book.

The timing of damage is page 34, which also tells you how to resolve Simultaneous effects (so the order you use Armour and Shielding).

And Terrifying applies to every attack against it because nothing says it doesn't.

• Like 1